Rhinegold lightweight turnout? Any good?

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Hello all

Can anyone advise if these rugs are any good. I am trying to find a cheap rug as Seren has a tear in her lightweight and I need to order another one. I want a full neck lightweight this time. My current rug is an amigo lite with no neck which I have found brilliant, its never leaked.

So any experience of these Rhinegold rugs and their waterproofness would be great :D

abbieandfiona

Visit site
I have the spotty l/w one on one of my mares at the moment its ok not as waterproof as i would have hoped however have another rhrinegold one thats meant to be a l/w but is 180g and is fab very waterproof. They come up a small fit so i go for a size bigger each time.

painted ponies

Visit site
I bought 1 in the summer (no neck) it has a cotton lining rather than the satin type that the Amigo has, it has not been warn too much and has ripped back from the chest strap. I wouldnt buy another one, I'd much rather buy a used Amigo

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Thanks to you both, am glad I asked. I do rate my amigo highly, had it a few years and it will be fine once repaired but I do need a spare and would like a full neck. Will look at the other ones I have book marked. Thanks again for your replies, much appreciated :D

Umbongo

Visit site
I had one once and wouldn't buy another. Not really waterproof and didn't do up very well at the chest, the material folds back so the straps rub at the horse. Slipped to one side too much and was easily ripped.

Amigo lightweights do come with necks though. My friend has the red l/w with a detachable neck.

horsecrazy25

College In the week, home on the weekends :)
Visit site
Personally wouldnt buy another Rhinegold unless i had no choice!! My mini shetlands have the spotty ones look very cute on :D but on the chest the material folds back. My TBxID has the L/W turnout and on the chest the material folds backs so doesn't protect chest, very annoying, would rather spend more money on rugs that does the job! Not very waterproof!

Last edited:

competitiondiva

Visit site
Wouldn't touch rhinegold rugs!!

Bought a combo stable rug for my tb x mare (who is fairly light weight in build!) it hung off her bottom as too long, (despite her normal size being ordered!) yet didn't touch her sides, it wasn't even a mini skirt, I think you'd call it a belt if it were on a human!!!lol!! absolutely hopeless sizing and fit!! God knows what type of horse it did fit, if it was this shallow on a tb type!!

Toffee44

Visit site
Rhinegolds = Yuch!!

I cannot stand them. SOme one I used to ride for had quite a few and they all broke, ripped easily, leaked and the fullnecks rubbed manes.

I love my Amigo LW's or Saxons have never failed me.

piggyinablanket

stephaniegreaves.com
I have a no neck one which fits my Newfie really well, with the exception of the front velcro which seems to gape occasionally.
BUT...Sis had one on her chunky cobXtb 15.2+ and it rubbed hin raw! Horrid mess it made of his neck and mane as the fixed neck seemed to slip down and crease in one place. It was quite sore at the base of his mane. It was a poor fit around the chest too, with gaping problem like mine. So after that I certainly wouldnt recommend a full neck.

joeanne

Visit site
False economy IMO. What you pay to replace them when they leak etc, its just cheaper (and far less hastle) to buy a nice new amigo instead!:D

0ldmare

Visit site
I've no personal experience, but a friend recently bought one and it would only fit a very odd shaped horse (so probably a good buy if you have an odd shaped horse, if you see what I mean lol)

thinlizzy

Visit site
i bought one new in january and hardly used it it rubbed my horse and strap snapped second time i keep it as a last resort few hours rug shame it looks quite nice i would try ditto buying bigger size though

fatpiggy

Visit site
Just bought a lightweight Shires with a neck - £39.99 postage free from Hope Valley Saddlery via Ebay. Ordered it at lunchtime, delivered the next morning. She was out in it in horrible conditions yesterday and came in nice and dry. I've had Shires before and they have always been good and very good value.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Thanks everyone, pretty much 100% not so good then :D
I have another supplier I have used for years on ebay, sadly he is not as cheap as he used to be but I have always found his rugs brilliant so will try one of his lightweights this time, its £39.99 with free p&p so will give it a try
Thansk again for all the input guys, much appreciated :D