Rhinegold Turnout Rugs - opinions?

Rose Folly

Visit site
One of my liveries has just bought her 17.2 ex-'chaser a Rhinegold MW turnout with detachable neck cover. It's me who adjusts his rug each day -horse lives out 24/7 - and I hate it. Wondererd if about anybody else's opinions. It is badly cut, has elastic leg straps, blows up from the tail flap, and the neck cover, whose top-of-wither attachment is set back about 9" into the neck cover, also blows up and ove, thereby letting the rain in. There is too much padding, or appears to be, for the amount of waterproof outer cover, so quite a lot slides out at the back. It gets soaked, and the dampness pervades the rug.

Also on the off side the leg strap and the back belly strap run from the same point, so there is a constant stress on the rug and it always slews round and it tight under his stifle.

Have we just been unlucky, or hs anywone else found the same?

Baileybob

Visit site
The only thing I can add is that I did buy a Rhinegold turnout rug once, it lasted about 5 minutes, the first time my cob got down to roll, both front clips burst off, fortunatley I was still at the gate! It had appeared to fit and wasn't too tight, so it shouldn't have broken so it promptly got sent back and I was refunded. I won't be trying them again.

fallenangel123

Visit site
I've had a combo one for about five years, still going strong. My mare was a serial roller too, yet it survived her ok. She was a bizarre shape tho so probably why it fit.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I have 2 light weight rugs which are about 15 years old, nice and deep, granted they only get used in spring/autumn but they've served me well over the years and are still going strong, not sure about the newer models lol

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I don't like them, they don't properly fit either of my horses and they don't last long. Much rather have second hand quality rugs! Cheap rubbish!

Ella19

Visit site
I don't like them either! It's the only rug to have rubbed, was too short, rolled around and just didn't fit. I much prefer the amigo's or JHL

FleabittenT

Visit site
I've had a combo one for about five years, still going strong. My mare was a serial roller too, yet it survived her ok.

Ditto this! My heavy rhinegold combo is on it's fourth winter, worn every day over winter and has never rubbed or leaked so far. I really rate them :D

I also have a couple of rhinegold lightweights too, again years old now and have lasted well - maybe not 100% waterproof in torrential downpours, but then I wouldn't expect any rug with a 600 denier outer to be! I think they're fab value for the price.

I think perhaps it is the same with any rugs - not all brand fit all shapes and sizes well? Shires & Masta rugs are terrible on our mare...

StormyMoments

Visit site
i have a heavy weight combo and it is very short in depth and it shows above his elbow so i dont bother using it anymore! although it only broke when he court the clip on his haynet and ripped half of the front off and broke the clip :eek:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have got one recently for Ted the rug destroyer at £55 it was cheap and he was going though rugs so quickly that it did not matter to me if it is cheaply made .
Yes the the cut is less good than the ones he's torn up but it was £ 55 and the ones he trashed are nearer to £200 you need to sort the useless elastic leg straps that give and let the rug blow up in the wind I have put a fillet on and that has sorted that.
Ok at the price I think I don't expect it to last long it probally won't get the chance !

NeverSayNever

Visit site
I had a LW combo and found it quite an odd shape/cut. The neck was baggy but very short and the overall rug was short for the size it was meant to be. It DID however do the job and serve a purpose, they are mega cheap, it was waterproof and didnt rub.

bumblebee_

Visit site
I have one on my 18month old filly...a lw combo and it has been brilliant...not a drop of water got through in yesterdays torrential downpour! :) the only thing is the neck slips down to half way down her neck so she had a bit of a wet neck :rolleyes:

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I had the burgandy Rhinegold "KONIG" got it in 2006 and to be honest it lasted a few years.Only problem I had was it used to slip. Kept cobblet warm and dry. Leg straps were webbing.Now mutilated lol. Id buy another one.

Rose Folly

Visit site
That's very interesting feedback. Thanks so much. Good idea about getting rid of the elastic leg straps (honestly, they'd stretch from here to Moscow!) and using a fillet instead. As usual, thanks H&H Forum for useful info!

becca1305

Visit site
had a no fill rhinegold combo rug. HATED it! :(. its also only lasted a few months (has a big rip) despite my lot not being hard on their rugs. The clasps are cheap and nasty, the velcro on the front flaps was useless so they come undone and shift back when its worn so all that holds it done up is the buckles and horse had a partially bare chest, neck fastenings are plastic clips and awkward velcro which are rubbish and neck is ill fitting. Back of rug is boxy so horse ends up with a large area of bum exposed and wind is constantly getting underneath and trying to flip the rug up (thankfully the webbing leg straps worked okay), tail flap is useless. The belly straps came undone easily and I didn't find the rug particularly deep either. Oh and whenever the horse rolled it was always skewiff after (despite mare doing her post roll shake) and the material pulled across her so it must have been uncomfortable. horrid horrid thing :(.

Tbh Im exceptionally grateful the damn thing got a big rip so I could bin it without having to justify it when before it was technically still weather proof :). Thats the only thing it did manage, the bits of rug which actually covered the horse didn't leak (although it was never tested in really heavy rain). Id say it is a good case of you get what you pay for I have shires combo rain sheets which cost me £60 instead of Rhinegolds £45 and whilst the shires rugs aren't perfect they do the job and mine have lasted for years so definitely worth paying the extra money! :)

Last edited:

BentleyBelly

Visit site
The clasps are cheap and nasty, the velcro on the front flaps was useless so they come undone and shift back when its worn so all that holds it done up is the buckles and horse had a partially bare chest, neck fastenings are plastic clips and awkward velcro which are rubbish and neck is ill fitting.

As above, I bought a cheapy no fill rain sheet for my cob who doesn't need a rug, just to keep him dry overnight if I want to ride in the morn. 1st time he wore it he was bare chested within half an hour, velcro just doesn't stick! It did however keep him dry so is ok for use every now and again.

Kenzo

Visit site
Not keen on them, I gave one away that was brand new but Mr M had grown out of it over the winter, worn it about 5 times and the strap bust, so gave it away as I couldn't be bothered having it repaired as come next winter it would of been too small.

Also have another brand new one, again worn a few times, now in it's bag becasue the straps broke, but it will my TB so keeping it as a spare when I can be bothered to have it fixed.

Also they seem to pull across the wither area and leak!

I'm all for budget rugs as I have a DH, Gallop and JHL, there even cheaper but least they do there job and last longer.

So no, I wouldn't buy another Rhinegold.

Ella19

Visit site
I lie, Indie's was marked Harlequin although I believe this was linked to rhinegold?

Anyway this is it's appaling fit, look how short the neck is! Excuse my scrawny pony as well, bless her this was as a very ill 4 year old.

DSC01451.jpg

wench

Visit site
My horse is a rug wrecker and has both a Rhinegold and a Harlequin rug.

Rhinegold is a lw (no fill) turnout, and she was in it most of the summer - didnt rub, and nothing broke on it. She did shred the front of it on the barbed wire in the field, but this happens with most rugs.

I bought her a second hand mw Harlequin turnout. Very happy with it, although she's made some holes in it, lasted well.

Bertolie

Visit site
the velcro on the front flaps was useless so they come undone and shift back when its worn so all that holds it done up is the buckles and horse had a partially bare chest

Agree with this!

I bought a no fill combo turnout for my cob and had the same problem - velcro wouldn't stick and he ended up bare chested. I also tried the rug with a chest expander and still ended up the same.

I also purchased the no fill combo for daughters WB, tried it on him and even with the chest straps on the last hole he couldn't put his head down to graze as it was so tight! It was re-homed to a narrow TB who fared a lot better with it.

The rug I bought for my cob is sat in my tack room having only been worn once and I wont put it on him again. And I cant even give it away - have offered it to several people but the answer is always NO!