Rhythm Beads

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Anyone use them..??
Are there any benefits to them...??
I'm in the process of making some for the boys with beads and bells just out of curiosity mainly but just wondered what experience people have had with them.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm on a FB group which members contribute views "between the ears" of their horses, and there was one on there recently wearing rhythm beads. I'm not personally sure if I could deal with it!! But I've heard that they have been used effectively on stressy/nappy horses; but again as "annagain" has said that could be more as a rider panacea than for the horse's benefit.

HashRouge

Visit site
I've got a very pretty set someone made for me in a Secret Santa some years ago, but I never used them as my mare retired shortly after I received them. I liked them because they were pretty, I'm not sure if they would have had any practical benefits or not.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I was once told that they came from the bells on horse drawn sleighs. Apparently because the sledges were silent, you had to put bells on the horses so that people could hear them coming. Then people liked the rhythmical noise and started to use a similar thing on ridden horses. I think rhythm beads are just a more modern version of this. I think they are mainly a bit of fun, but if they help the rider even if it's just a bit of confidence why not?

I may need to train mine to get them used to the sound. If they come into fashion again I don't want a scary moment like Quizzie had!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
What are they and what do they do?

A pic for you.
main-qimg-c5619f06097256862f01f48f5ddad282.webp

There are loads of designs but the basic idea is that they make noise as the horse moves so you can hear the rhythm of their movement. I wonder if it would show up lameness? Pop some in the horse's tail to check for hind limb lameness?

ihatework

Visit site
Any particular reason..?! ?

I was told that the "purpose" is that the beads/bells help to create a rhythm and soft focus for the horse to stop distractions ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️
As I say, it's purely from a curiosity point of view really.

Quite honestly, if either I or whoever I pay to ride instead couldn’t install a little bit of focus and a rhythm just by riding the horse I’m giving up entirely!

Maybe I’ll eat my words one day and have a horse so out of the box that it’s a tool I need to try, but I hope not!!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Quite honestly, if either I or whoever I pay to ride instead couldn’t install a little bit of focus and a rhythm just by riding the horse I’m giving up entirely!

Maybe I’ll eat my words one day and have a horse so out of the box that it’s a tool I need to try, but I hope not!!

Definitely a fair comment ??

Shay

Visit site
DD has used rythmn bells very successfully in the past. They are not quite as discordant as christmas bells - although we've used those too! Some horses do seem to like the noise. It does give an alternative, particularly for a younger or less experienced rider, to help identify an uneven stride length. It gives you a start point if you are designing a floor plan / setting music for dressage to music becuase it gives you the rythmn your horse moves to at each stage - I'm sure those that are better at it have a more professional way to do it! We've also used it when teaching collected and extended paces. The ride can feel it, can see it in the arena mirros, but they can also hear it. Just another tool really.

And they sound nice...

Otherwise

Visit site
I've hacked out with what was essentially a cow bell on a neckstrap, the main aim along with the orange hi viz was to make it obvious we weren't wild boar to the chasse. The horses got used to it, I found it more annoying than they did but I imagine rhythm beads are probably a less grating sound on the ears. An unexpected bonus was the deer stopped jumping out right next to us so for that reason alone I'd consider it a success.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'd like to add that I'm not looking to use them to "improve" my riding etc...it's just something I wanted to have a play with really ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️. Every chance the bells will drive me crackers, but then I can just remove them. Just a bit of fun at the end of the day. My horses get used to the randomness I put them through ?????