Riaflex and Barefoot

unbalanced

Visit site
My Welsh D has been barefoot since January and I have been struggling to get her 'rock-crunching' as they say, despite probably doing at least most things right. She is out most of the time on a very bare track with a friend, ridden most days, sound on tarmac, booted for stony tracks. She has been being trimmed by the awesome Lucy Priory so it's definitely not a farrier trimming her poor thin sole away (she has very thin little soles). I fixed her thrush. I fixed it again. I slathered on yet more field paste. I don't feed treats. I soak and rinse hay.
I feed speedi-beet, micronised linseed, balanced minerals (copper, calmag, zinc), salt, yeasacc, and riaflex for her poor old arthritic joints as well as milk thistle for her dodgy liver.
Two days out of the last month she hasn't come in so she didn't get her bucket feed. I noticed that mysteriously the very next day, she is better over the stones. Could this be the riaflex? It is made up of glucosamine, MSM and chondotrin. Now, the previous vet said she needs this stuff for her arthritis. My (human) nutritionist friend says there is no research to support the use of glucosamine in any animal provided a balanced diet is fed because it just gets metabolised as proteins and sugars (or something). Apparently the only decent supplement containing just MSM and chondotrin costs about £200 a month so that's out. Has anyone else had this problem?
I would have chocolate mousse but you'll have to be quick as I've nearly finished it.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I really don't know but I do know that joint supplements really upset one of our horses digestion badly so possibly .
I would try leaving her off the supplement a week then put her back on it and see.
I stopped feeding joint supplements after that horse had such an issue with them I now give micronised linseed for omega 3 and 6 .

Oberon

Visit site
I'd be more suspicious of the Speedibeet.

It's rare - but some horses don't get on with it.

Try rinsing it, then soaking, then rinsing again and see if that helps - or try using something else.

paddy555

Visit site
I haven't had your problem but have been successful in dealing with a similar horse without the glucosamine etc but by increasing the micronised linseed. I feed 400g per day (575kg) and would even consider increasing it to 500g.
He has improved a lot since I increased the linseed and it is realatively cheap. He is an EMS horse and the linseed hasn't put any extra weight on him nor has it had any adverse effects. Could be worth a try.