Rice bran feeds: Saracen equi jewel or keyflow key-plus?

Visit site
If you were looking for a very high energy rice bran feed for a poor doer who needed maximum calories in the smallest footprint possible, which of these would you opt to feed? (Bearing in mind horse is all up to date on teeth and worming and is healthy, with access to ad lib hay, just a typical poor doer TB unfortunately).
The equi jewel to me looks better; it's the highest energy feed I've ever seen at 18mj/kg and is already vitamin e balanced, whereas the key-plus is "only" 15.3 mj/kg and is just rice bran, no balancing, plus it's only 9% fibre.
But it is much lower in starch and sugar than the equi jewel so I'd assume would be less heating, and it's far, far cheaper.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Equi jewel seems expensive but it certainly delivers results and if you calculate how much you need daily it possibly isn't expensive.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have used Equi Jewel with success, but doubly so if you also feed NAF "Thrive." Most tack shops don't stock it, but it can be ordered online, and seems to increase appetite all round, so they also eat more hay.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i used equijewel on a half tb very forward going horse who had lost weight last winter and found it worked very quickly and i didnt find she changed her way of going at all...

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Who makes omega rice ?

Falcon feeds.
Currently using it again, alongside Top Spec cool cubes for a native that came in 4 weeks ago in a rather (very!) poor condition. I reckon 1 bag will be enough to help, feeding a mug twice a day. I slowly introduced hard feeds after she'd been with me a week.
Edited to add, Also, she's clearing 35lb of hay overnight in 12 hours, down from the 48 out of 50lb that she did for the 1st 3 nights! 14hh pony, had a torrid last 4 months, now improving slowly :)

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
I always go for omega rice. It’s rice bran and linseed balanced with vit E.

I did some comparison against equi-jewel the other day - EJ significantly more expensive a sack but does have a higher calorie value. When you break it down to calories per £ the cost of each is pretty comparable, OR fractionally better.

So I suppose it depends on whether you want pure rice bran or a combination product, and whether more concentrated is better.

Either way I’d go for a product balanced with Vit E.

honetpot

Visit site
Bangs DE for your buck, soya flour is cheap has a high DE, but is also very high in protein so watch kidneys. I like it because it mixes well with anything.
Before Keyflow took over you could by rice bran nuggets at half the price of Equijewel.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Falcon feeds.
Currently using it again, alongside Top Spec cool cubes for a native that came in 4 weeks ago in a rather (very!) poor condition. I reckon 1 bag will be enough to help, feeding a mug twice a day. I slowly introduced hard feeds after she'd been with me a week.
Edited to add, Also, she's clearing 35lb of hay overnight in 12 hours, down from the 48 out of 50lb that she did for the 1st 3 nights! 14hh pony, had a torrid last 4 months, now improving slowly :)

Thank you. Just had a look at it. Circa £18 for 20kg is a lot less than Equi Jewel, which was just shy of £40 the last time I bought a bag.

Scarlett

Visit site
Having used Equi-Jewel, Omega Rice and Keyplus over the years my preference, and long term choice, is Keyplus. I'm not sure if it's the sugar and starch levels or the manufacturing process - steam extruded - but I find it makes a difference quickly and using less. I have fed it to youngsters, oldies, resting horses and everything in between with great success. Nothing has ever gotten too hot on it and it hasn't affected ulcer/IBD horse negatively.

Equi-Jewel made a couple of my horses spooky and didn't give me the weight gain I wanted. I was feeding a lot and it was costing a lot too.

Omega Rice is good and something we will use if we cant get Keyplus. I used it for a while a few years ago and it was good but again I found Keyplus gave me better results.

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
Equijewel is what I've used and been very happy with- low feed rate makes up for cost.

I wouldn't use the Falcon product- it's got wheat in it and they don't specify how much it is percentage wise. You could be paying for filler.

Keyflow I've not used personally but it checks out on the ingredients - I'd try that if the price point for EJ is too high.