Richard Maxewell "type" in Kent?

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
Not sure if this is the best place, but never mind :rolleyes:.

Basically my horse has a bit of a problem with life in general I think :eek:

The main issues I've addressed myself, but I'm having big problems with him and narrow spaces/loading. He used to bolt when I attempted to load - and failing that rears a lot before usually taking off anyway! With the use of a dually and then a slip bridle etc I've got him used to loading in trailers, just.

However, the main issue is getting him off it..He bolts off the top of the ramps and if you dont check him fast enough he's off. I tried him in a lorry tonight thinking he'd have more room to get off/less of a squeeze than a trailers side ramp but he leapt off the top :)eek:) and cantered off. It was getting dark by this time due to a long argument about loading and he almost got towards the road - so I can't really let this go on any longer.

Checking him through gates/stables he's exactly the same.

Anyone else any experience of this? I thought perhaps a person akin to Richard Maxwell could possibly help me because I think I'm in over my head :confused:

Profiteroles all around!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Go to Kelly Marks Intelligent Horsemanship website and get the name of your local RA from there. I have used one, Gary Bosworth, near here for loading issues for our ponies and for barging and general hooligan behaviour from the cob - all sorted on a permanent basis and worth every penny :)

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
suzanne marshall - amazing lady and dealt with my non loading horse quickly and professionally and I have not had an issue since - fab lady

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
Ah thanks Slinks. Thought there might be a directory type affair somewhere for it but didnt know who to look under.

Flamin' animal! :D

Hen

Visit site
Definitely try Jason Webb, if he's not available Shane Borland will be down in Kent/East Sussex borders from Warwickshire at the end of the month.

Last edited:

dany

Visit site
I have regular sessions with Suzanne, she is amazing and very down to earth. Ive also used her for loading sessions and she brought her lorry to practice with. It took her 2 hours to load my boy, after various people had failed for 5 days running and of course he was going up and down on his own practically at the end of it.

I know a lot of people who have used Jason for breaking etc and absolutely rave about him, not sure how much 'off yard' work he does though.

_jetset_

Visit site
How about actually getting Richard Maxwell out?

I had a mare who would not load and like yours, if I ever did manage to get her in she would then bolt out and really get upset about the whole thing. I then had Richard out and have never looked back. It was worth every penny as I now have a mare who trots up the ramp, stands completely still and enjoys travelling!

MrsMagoo

Visit site
Another one for Jason Webb...had him out last week for my attire colt as we were having leading/rearing issues :) Really good and helped loads. He has also sorted out a rescue pony we got that you couldnt even get near, now you can catch him and the kids are having great fun riding him.

Have also used Suzanne Marshall for the same problem 2 wks prior, just as she was at my yard already. Was good, but not as effective as Jason IMO....depends on the nature of the problem i suppose.

:)

vam

Visit site
Hmmmm intresting, i might have to go and have a google. does anyone know if i could go to his as im having probs with my boy loading at shows (fine at home just cant get him on the box to go back home :rolleyes:) and think it would be more helpful that way round.

foxy1

Visit site
Jason Webb is a world class horseman, but very approachable and will teach you exactly what you need to do to sort out your problem.

I have used Jason for breaking and also for a very difficult loader (I mean rearing, striking out, pulling away even in a chifney, even when on the lorry he would go absolutely beserk until he kicked holes in the walls, once kicked his way out of a trailer).

Jason came out to me and sorted the loader in one session. He now loads and travels like a lamb.

The horse he broke for me is the most mannerly horse I have had the pleasure to ride,and also on the ground is a true gent. When I sent him to Jason he was a virtually unhandled and very nervous unbroken 5 year old, and had come straight from the stud where he was bred.

I really cannot recommend him highly enough.

dancebaben

Visit site
Another one for Suzanne Marshall. She's amazing. Worked with our big warmblood for two years on and off now and is a star in human form. She's loaded Tehya for travelling twice and is really kind sympathetic and knowledgeable. Really can't sing her praises enough. I did work experience with her and she really can do the job. She loaded a non loader in ten minutes on one occassion. :) Good luck!

foxy1

Visit site
Hmmmm intresting, i might have to go and have a google. does anyone know if i could go to his as im having probs with my boy loading at shows (fine at home just cant get him on the box to go back home :rolleyes:) and think it would be more helpful that way round.

Yes you can go to Jasons yard just for a loading session or whatever you want to do. He has a lovely place with great facilities

splash30

Visit site
I went to look at Jason Webb's on one of his open mornings he talks ALOT of sense and you can completey understand all that he says.