RID Brood mares so cheap!

ritajennings

Visit site
Being an Irish Draught breeder, I have known that there are desperate time for all equines in Ireland.
Very sad as who knows where some of these poor horses end up, well we do know, but just don't want to think of it.
I really hope these few mares all very close to foaling find a kind and loving home.

Irishlife

Visit site
An awful lot of people who knew nothing about horses bought mares during the Celtic Tiger. A case in point a neighbour bought two RID mares for 10,000 euro each. One who was imported from the UK. Both mares have impeccable breeding but have been living rough on common land although very well fed and tended daily. Both are barren (thankfully). Now he will take any money and if I wasn't overstocked myself, one mare would be looking out of my stable door for the price of a new saddle.

I must reiterate though that the market is still buoyant in places and real quality with performance still sells for good money. Its the poor old broodies and young horses that are the poor relations. My daughter has the ride this year in ridden draughts and workers on a chap by Gurraun Zidane who was bought for serious cash! He is also divine!

gadetra

Visit site
Yes I agree with Irishlife-it became very fashionable to have a few very expensive horses in your field for a few years there-never mind if they knew nothing about them! ID's especially, as a few years ago any pure RID was making massive money and a lot of less knowledgable people jumped on the bandwagon.
I was drooling over this one last night...if only I hadn't just got a new one!!
http://www.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/horses/1971572

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Hopefully they'll find a good home. If I could I would buy one and find a stud to foal her then ship her and foal over in 4 months. Still 2 is quite enough for me at present.
FDC

Minxie

Visit site
Heaven's my brother and a couple of friends are Irish and was saying they are swapping horses for mobile phones at the markets these days :(

I'd like to have got over for a couple this spring but don't think I'll manage.

SuperHorse

Visit site
Heaven's my brother and a couple of friends are Irish and was saying they are swapping horses for mobile phones at the markets these days :(

Yes, but thats markets - the likes of Smithfield, not the proper horse sales like Goresbridge and Cavan, and that's nothing new. That has always gone on, but we're not talking IDs or anything you'd be looking to buy - these would be traveller horses.
There is a problem with excess horses in Ireland at the moment, and I do think a cull is needed unfortunately. However please also bear in mind that what you see in the press is very much exaggerated, and there are similar problems in the UK and elsewhere.
There is a statement in relation to the issue from HSI - see link below:
http://www.eventingireland.com/news/?action=detail&itemid=4072