Ridden Coloured Class questions

Visit site
I'm hoping to have a go at a Ridden Coloured Class at a local show later on this month. I've never done any showing before so I have a few questions:

What do I have to wear?
What do I have to do?
What will the judge be looking for?

lindsayH

Visit site
What do I have to wear?

Pale jods, long boots or short boots/gaiters, shirt and tie or stock, hacking jacket, black/blue velvet hat (although I have been placed at local level in a skull cap/silk after a hat disaster!), hairnet preferable, show cane optional.

What do I have to do?

Walk, trot and canter as a group with a change of rein in the middle. Line up and then do an individual show demonstrating trot and canter on each rein. End show with a halt/salute then rejoin line.

What will the judge be looking for?

At local level, that you and the horse are super clean and well turned out. That horse is well behaved and obedient to the aids and has no awful conformation defects or blemishes.

A well balanced, reasonably collected canter is fairly essential as some of the rings are quite small and it's quite awkward if you find everyone else is slower than you when you're cantering as a group!

Just seen the quote in your sig, you'll be fine!

royal

Visit site
Is your a traditional or non-native?

If non-native you turn out according to type ie: if a riding horse type, you need a coloured browband
If hunter type, then flat noseband and browband of width to suit the horses head...
Horse should wear brown tack ideally and a straight cut saddle with leather girth....

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
brown tack!!

I never realised i should have brown tack!
I have black tack for my skewbald cob - is this wrong then.
Although i dont compete at a very high level so i doubt it does.