Ridden Hunter Classes

pocket

Visit site
Not competed in Ridden Hunter classes for a few years and hope to have a go this year....My question is, is it ok to use a pelham bit instead of a double?? I think my horse will go better in one, rather than his double. What's the general consensus?? I hope to get back to PUK events and maybe some county.

rambling

Visit site
I have seen lots of horses in Pelhams even when ridden by professional riders.

Definitely two reins and a sliphead if you have a Rugby or Swales .

wellybob

Visit site
Try and use a rugby and a sliphead if going down the pelham route, looks far more proffesional imo,I see a quite a few on the circuit.

Ladylina83

Visit site
I'd rather use a standard pelham than a rugby myself my mare has always gone really poorly in hers - it's just extra metal for the sake of looking the part - I'd rather the horse went well

wellybob

Visit site
Just because your mare went poorly in hers doesnt mean op horse will im just giving my opinion,
P.s i can assure you my horse goes very well in his double and is a very sucsessfull showhunter with two bits of extra metal in his mouth shock horror!! point im making is all horses are different.

Ladylina83

Visit site
Just because your mare went poorly in hers doesnt mean op horse will im just giving my opinion,
P.s i can assure you my horse goes very well in his double and is a very sucsessfull showhunter with two bits of extra metal in his mouth shock horror!! point im making is all horses are different.

As am I ! - A Rugby isn't a double is it

The extra bits of metal on a rugby don't go in the mouth ! they are just there to look like a double !

PS i can assure you my horse goes very well in his double and is a very sucsessfull showhunter too - just not in a ruby pelham !!!! I use one or the other a pelham or a double

wellybob

Visit site
I am perfectly aware a double is not a rugby pelham!! I am just saying in MY opinion a rugby/sliphead looks better and if HER horse (not your mare) goes well in one then its a better overall look than just a pelham so worth HER trying!!however i have my opinion and you have yours both pelhams/doubles are fine OP ,so lets leave it at that aye ;)

pocket

Visit site
Lord, I didn't realise I was going to cause such a debate...I have a French link Rugby and a French link pelham, will give both a go and see how he goes, tends to over bend a little too much in the double and is a well schooled beast, so sure the French link will be fine...

Thanks for your replies :)

Ladylina83

Visit site
I am perfectly aware a double is not a rugby pelham!!

a very sucsessfull showhunter with two bits of extra metal in his mouth shock horror!!

Ah right well you refered to it as a double and that the metal went IN his mouth hence the confusion

You seem not to think my opinoin valid for some reason - her horse might be like mine and not yours - I'm sure my mare is not the only one to not like the rugby, its only fair to give both sides of the story - personnally I don't think you get as clear a signal with your top rein as if it was fitted to the actual bit, there is logic there if you think about it. If it were a real double you would have a clear connection to the bradoon and with a pelham.

OP give both a go if you've got them anyway - are you doing county or local level ? only reason I ask is not for bitting reasons but if it's been a while you may need a SHGB overstamp but only for certain classes/shows

Good luck and have fun - if your horse goes well and is turned out smartly I doubt the judge will care if its a rugby or a normal pelham but hey who knows with showing judges some days :)

pixyandsweep

Visit site
I personally wouldn't bother with a rugby pelham, it's a cheap illusion to make the horse appear like it's going in a double. It is used so incorrectly, I wouldn't go near it. Simply because even WITH a slip head it still needs a very still hand to aviod the loose ring banging around etc, I beleive it interfers greatly with the curb rein etc. Alot of ride judges are not necessarily good riders, if they have a different hand action to you, this will effect the ride due to the nature of the bit. I'd play it safe and go with a pelham or do the necessary work to go in a double. There isn't any point in trying to pretend, the horse either goes well in a traditional pelham or a double

wellybob

Visit site
Ah right well you refered to it as a double and that the metal went IN his mouth hence the confusion

You seem not to think my opinoin valid for some reason - her horse might be like mine and not yours - I'm sure my mare is not the only one to not like the rugby, its only fair to give both sides of the story - personnally I don't think you get as clear a signal with your top rein as if it was fitted to the actual bit, there is logic there if you think about it. If it were a real double you would have a clear connection to the bradoon and with a pelham.

QUOTE]

I disagree massivly that i do not think your opinion is valid!everybody has a right to an opinion!however i get the impression you seem to think mine is as your not listening, all i am trying to get across is IF the horse goes nicely IF IF IF! then its better to use one with a slip head i am not suggesting for one minute if her horse goes like crap in one she should use it anyway just to look the part (as remember for every horse that hates them there is one that goes beautifully in one so to quote you i am just telling both sides of the story)so please stop twisting what im trying to get across.

Anyway hope to see you out on the hunter circuit this year and good luck for the season ahead,

P.S the extra metal bit was a rather tounge in cheek responce from myself as your previous statement goes on about about having a horse that goes nicely as appose to any extra metal to look the part my boy goes beautifully in a snaffle aswell as a double meaning technicly he is in "extra metal" just to look the part, sorry though that was clear ;)

fun debate anyway and the funny thing is im sure were barking from the same tree and just have our wires crossed :)

IdoShowing

Visit site
I definitly wouldn't use a rugby - in my opinion, they always look like their trying to be a double & never actually achieve looking like a double.
Personally, i'venever seen one at top level & i think you'd be far better off in an ordinary pelham - but its up to you!!

Piglet

Visit site
Hey can I play devils advocate here? I don't do county standard showing and I don't judge but personally I would rather see a well schooled happy horse going forward and in the correct shape in a simple snaffle or snaffle type bit, OK it may not be as traditional as a double bridle but what is the point of having a unhappy horse fighting or overbending just to look the part? I used to always use a snaffle with my TB in Riding Horse classes, she made the correct shape, went forward, she used to rebel against anything else and I was told that even at county level it would be acceptable. Am sure that I will get shouted down by the traditionalists!! :eek:

IdoShowing

Visit site
Hey can I play devils advocate here? I don't do county standard showing and I don't judge but personally I would rather see a well schooled happy horse going forward and in the correct shape in a simple snaffle or snaffle type bit, OK it may not be as traditional as a double bridle but what is the point of having a unhappy horse fighting or overbending just to look the part? I used to always use a snaffle with my TB in Riding Horse classes, she made the correct shape, went forward, she used to rebel against anything else and I was told that even at county level it would be acceptable. Am sure that I will get shouted down by the traditionalists!! :eek:

No, i totally agree with you!! If you horse will go in a double or a pelham, then use one, but you aren't going to get anywhere if your horse if fighting the bit - if it doesn't go well, then you aren't going to get a good place - so if a double or a pelham aren't an option, then definitely go for what you horse is comforrable in!!

Piglet

Visit site
Thanks for agreeing with me about the snaffle for showing, just to add the comments I would get from some very good judges would be "how nice to see your horse going so well in a simple bit". I was always placed in the top 2 at shows, also you have to remember that the judge will be riding and you maybe able to disguise an unhappy horse fighting the bit, the judge will definitely pick up on it.

Ladylina83

Visit site
Well done Pixieandsweep and Idoshowing for getting my opinion across more clearly than I managed to myself

Eeyore.1 I also like your point - I hardly ever use my curb rein as she backs off it, for workers (which is much more her thing, but we have done both) it's snaffle all the way

I'll be focussing on youngstock classes this year in a boring old rubber snaffle :)

wellybob

Visit site
Well done Pixieandsweep and Idoshowing for getting my opinion across more clearly than I managed to myself

Eeyore.1 I also like your point - I hardly ever use my curb rein as she backs off it, for workers (which is much more her thing, but we have done both) it's snaffle all the way

I'll be focussing on youngstock classes this year in a boring old rubber snaffle :)

See Thats the wonderfull thing about a double providing you are competent to use a double you can ride of the bradoon therefor the curb is purely there for decoration or should the ***** hit the fan lol, so in a decent pair of hands a double is the next best thing in some ways to showing in a snaffle but still being turned out correctly. :)

Last edited:

L&M

Visit site
Eeyore.1 I am with you too!

I am going to show my new cob this season as a ridden and a worker, and he goes beautifully in just a plain snaffle bridle, so this is what I am going to show him in.

I will be interested to see if any judge comments on this, but I too would rather see a well mannered and correctly schooled horse in a snaffle, and would be very cross if we got marked down for this.

However as with all these debates, it all depends on the horse and rider.........

Bug2007

Visit site
My TB goes in a snaffle at county level with no problems.

Other horse goes in a straight bar pelham with double reins, his mouth is too small for a double bridle. Plus he likes the pelham.

What my horses go well in is what they are ridden in. Might not be 'correct' in some cases but the horse should be judged on it's way of going and presentation being need and tidy not by how much silver wear it has in it's mouth.

PogoPumpkinBecky

Visit site
my pony goes great in a snaffle, much better than in a pelham or double, i used to show her in a snaffle and the judges kept saying it would be nice to see her in a double or pelham to make her look more hunter type!!

so i now show her in a pelham, with the odd show in a snaffle to keep her happy :)