Ridden Showing - Grooms in the ring

abbijay

Visit site
For the first time this year I'm entering a class with a ride judge (Ridden heavy horse classes have never usually been this way even at the biggest shows).
I have a wonderful and trusted friend who comes with me to groom but neither she nor I have any experience at this style of showing. Please can someone tell me how she should dress for the ring and what do we need to have in the basket to bring in with her? Any other hints, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
attachment.php

Gratuitous photo just so you can see what we're dealing with!

khalswitz

Visit site
When I used to do ridden Clydesdale classes a few years ago, they usually had a ride judge (we're NE Scotland so Clydesdale showing is serious stuff ;) ) Groom was dressed 'smart', like for a native in hand class, so clean cord trousers, shirt and waistcoat - but at low level the grooms weren't turned out at all.

Basket had a body brush, a very slightly damp sponge and a cloth for taking off excess dust, plus some kerby pins for pinning up any fallen down bits of mane/tail as required. And some fly spray for if the midges were particularly bad, just to stop tail swishing and head shaking. My groom also always had a small portable mounting step - invaluable for Clydesdale classes. My friend who had a more classic bay Clydesdale kept Show Sheen in hers too, but the one I rode was a very roany Clydesdale so it didn't really make much difference to him from a good dust down and shine with the cloth.

Ridden Clydesdale classes have become huge over the last seven or eight years up here - now they get ridden/judged like a hunter class in small shows, and there are big finals at Blair and RHS that have made it very popular. However it has 9/10 had ride judges whenever I've competed, probably due to being included in the ridden classes section rather than, say, highland classes where the inhand judge continues to judge the ridden.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
They usually need to wear a hat to enter the ring, otherwise as above fairly smart trousers and shirt, no need for a tie or jacket.

abbijay

Visit site
K you're right, the ridden clydesdale classes 'oop north' are indeed much more serious but the mixed ridden heavy classes in my neck of the woods is usually seen as a 'demonstration' class. We have been pushing it but it's slow going.

ironhorse

Visit site
Groom as smart as possible, with a hat - some big shows insist on this, and quite right too! In your basket or box (can use as a mounting block if you are as rubbish at being legged up as me!) you want a nice body brush or comb to brush his tail through if you have time, stable rubber or damp sponge to get saddle marks out ( again depends on how many in the class, in a small class there may not be time) baby wipes for the horse's mouth or if any hoof oil or mud have got onto his socks. A small bottle of water for the rider is appreciated if it's hot. Also in hot weather it's a good idea to have a separate clean stable rubber to cover the saddle during the trot up - strong sun can make it very hot when you put it back on the poor horse!

khalswitz

Visit site
K you're right, the ridden clydesdale classes 'oop north' are indeed much more serious but the mixed ridden heavy classes in my neck of the woods is usually seen as a 'demonstration' class. We have been pushing it but it's slow going.

Do keep pushing!!! They are such fab classes to watch as well as take part in :) best of luck :)

spottybotty

Visit site
Groom as smart as possible, with a hat - some big shows insist on this, and quite right too! In your basket or box (can use as a mounting block if you are as rubbish at being legged up as me!) you want a nice body brush or comb to brush his tail through if you have time, stable rubber or damp sponge to get saddle marks out ( again depends on how many in the class, in a small class there may not be time) baby wipes for the horse's mouth or if any hoof oil or mud have got onto his socks. A small bottle of water for the rider is appreciated if it's hot. Also in hot weather it's a good idea to have a separate clean stable rubber to cover the saddle during the trot up - strong sun can make it very hot when you put it back on the poor horse!

I have similer to this, but I have a small squirty bottle of water to wash out horses mouth .