Ridden showing individual show

supertramp

Visit site
Am taking the pony to a fun show, we will attempt to behave in the M+M class, but have no idea how to do the individual show, any pointers, or maybe a diagram that I could follow.
TIA

EllenJay

Visit site
Most individual shows follow a simple figure of eight, in trot and canter. Galloping in the ring is only necessary for classes requiring a gallop.
  • Walk away from the judge in a straight line
  • Trot a large half circle before change the diagonal across the centre.
  • Repeat on the other rein to complete the figure eight.
  • Canter as you start the new figure eight – if you established the correct bend you should get the correct leg. Canter a large half circle and return to trot to cross the diagonal.
  • Repeat on the other rein but do not change the diagonal this time.
  • Gallop on at a safe distance behind the line up if required before returning to a balanced canter.
  • Come smoothly back to trot and walk before halting beside the judge.
  • Enjoy your show but keep it short by being as precise as you can

supertramp

Visit site
Can I just reiterate the 'Keep it short' advice? Judges get bored waiting for riders going round and round, maybe wanting to correct mistakes. And if it happens repeatedly the class runs over time. Ellenjay's advice is spot on.
Absolutely, will bear it in mind and keep it short and sweet, thankyou .

IdoShowing

Visit site
I would disagree & say that the absolute max you should be changing the rein is twice.
So, stand out for the judge so they can make a look around your horse/pony. Walk away in a straight line 8-10 strides then go into trot. Turn right and change the rein after the corner. Pop into canter & canter round the short side, back to trot to go across the diagonal, into canter again and then extend/gallop down the long side, back to canter, into trot, into walk (good 6-8 strides) halt, salute.
Very rough diagram below. Walk is white, trot yellow, canter red & gallop/extend purple.

Hope that helps!
E3A65DEE-111F-45B1-9D9A-DF291B536383.png

Visit site
Defos no galloping behind the line up! Unless your horse can't gallop and you would make a pigs ear of trying!

I usually walk away, track right or left in trot depending on where the line up is, trot round that way, across the middle, canter circle, change rein in trot - flying changes are not required at all, clean transitions are - canter round to the long side and extend. Don't cavalry charge, don't sit down and throw the reins or flap. Sit deep off the bend and start building your extension before you get to the straight so you just roll off of the corner and into a nice smooth 4 beat gait. Steady up, back to canter, trot, walk, halt, salute - pat the pony! No one ever pats the pony after their show these days! And walk on a loose rein back to the line up.

GrayMo's 2nd ever ridden class back in the day.

Last edited:

Pokitren

Visit site
Can I just reiterate the 'Keep it short' advice? Judges get bored waiting for riders going round and round, maybe wanting to correct mistakes. And if it happens repeatedly the class runs over time. Ellenjay's advice is spot on.
Theoretically, how many rounds can I do to correct mistakes? I understand that the judges will be bored.

conniegirl

Visit site
Theoretically, how many rounds can I do to correct mistakes? I understand that the judges will be bored.
Don’t, if you get a wrong leg in canter then go back to trot immediately and then immediately back up into canter to correct. Maybe go a bit further across centre line in canter, showing a little less trot accross the diagonal but stick to your show other wise. Going round and round just highlights the mistake and bores the judge.

Pokitren

Visit site
Don’t, if you get a wrong leg in canter then go back to trot immediately and then immediately back up into canter to correct. Maybe go a bit further across centre line in canter, showing a little less trot accross the diagonal but stick to your show other wise. Going round and round just highlights the mistake and bores the judge.
Maybe we should introduce such a criterion for evaluation as judge boreness :)
That's a joke :D

EllenJay

Visit site
Do not gallop behind the line!!
The show that IdoShowing has done a diagram of is one commonly used in M&M classes

Keep it short and sweet
When I was showing a Welshy, we always galloped behind the line - admittedly this was a number of years ago, but when did this change?

Visit site
Maybe we should introduce such a criterion for evaluation as judge boreness :)
That's a joke :D

You joke but there is a section in my head for that! Usually reserved for horses or ponies that look so brain dead I would be bored stiff riding them! But the sib category is there!

conniegirl

Visit site
Only in the last 10 years or so when the producers started going on the opposite side to the line up again.
It was much longer ago than that.

We stopped doing it in the 90s at national level.

I agree.
i think the late 90’s was probably the last time i galloped behind the line and i think that was at a local show where the judge set the show.