Ridden veteran classes

Irishcobs

Visit site
Do they canter together and do they need to show extension/gallop?

I'm taking a nervous young rider to their first show (PC) and she wants to take her oap in to the veteran but its the one class I have not done myself so not sure if it differs to normal showing classes.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yes they do, at least if shown under VHS rules.

If not, it would depend on the organisers what they expect. I would call up secretary and check.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
They don't gallop in a VHS class and you are not allowed to wear spurs or face or body jewellery (not sure how they check the latter :eek: )

If it's not VHS its anyones guess but I would just do what the young rider is capable of and comfortable with.

hnmisty

Visit site
If it's just your local show, you walk, trot and canter. No galloping, extending, or anything else fancy :)

And yes, you usually do a group canter and then an individual canter.

I've competed in veteran classes that have VHS qualifiers for 1st place, again, no extending.

Hope the rider enjoys! :)

zoelouisem

Visit site
Defo no extended/gallop in VHS classes its strictly against the rules.
I've noticed that veteran classes have become very popular at any shows the last one I saw had 20 odd in it and it wasn't affiliated to anything the go round canter got very hairy indeed !!! Your best bit is to say to the steward that its daughters first show and might not be up to the go round canter and there probably let her stand in the middle. She could just show off a small canter in her show then.
This is what I used to do when my daughter was little and on her sec A and in large classes she never got marked down for it.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Ill double check my facts then. Been going for years down here near Bath and always extended in the class. Apologies if I am wrong but its just what I have always done.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Thanks all.
It's a pony club show so don't think it will be a qualifier for anything.
The young rider will be ok cantering in a group but may be very nervous if she doesn't know the other people (being pony club she probably will know most of them). Pony is a schoolmistress, been there and done it so many times she's lost count.