Ride a race horse for the day, any suggestions?

Izzwall

Visit site
Hi everyone,
Wondering if someone could help me. It's my OH's birthday next month and I wanted to do something quite special for him. He's big into his racing, so much so he wants to eventually ptp and was going to go on a course at the British Racing School but with loads of unfortunate things happening he just never got round to going. He's an excellent rider and rides my very fiery/wannabe racehorse welsh D and is currently in the process of buying a 16.3hh ex racehorse so he can get closer to his dream. So I thought the perfect birthday present for him would be to 'ride a racehorse' for the day. For example, have a tuition on the flat first and then on the gallops so he can feel and experience what it's like and I think it will spur on his dreams even more. I found this place http://www.lvweb.co.uk/holistichorsesnew/2008 Racehorse Experience.htm and it is EXACTLY what I'm looking for but I just rang them and the number is saying its not recognised so take it they aren't in business anymore? Being taught by an experienced jockey or trainer would be perfect. I'm also booking him in for a jump lesson too. Am I looking for the impossible? He regularly takes my mare on the gallops on the moor and has the most perfect forward/light seat and leg position (I always look in envy as he over takes me on my youngster!!). Thanks guys!

Spilletta

Visit site
Have you looked at the Northern Racing College if the BRS fell through? I just checked the website and there is bespoke training offered there. If you just wanted the one day, there are private simulator tuition sessions with jockey coaches offered. Not the same as the gallops, but think it would be a good experience if you don't find anything else.

Izzwall

Visit site
Have you looked at the Northern Racing College if the BRS fell through? I just checked the website and there is bespoke training offered there. If you just wanted the one day, there are private simulator tuition sessions with jockey coaches offered. Not the same as the gallops, but think it would be a good experience if you don't find anything else.

The bespoke training may be an option actually! Will give them a call and find out more info on it! Was thinking of a simulation session too. I was looking at the point to pointing training course but he won't be pointing this season but aiming to start perhaps the season after next, its too bad his ex racer didn't enjoy his job as taking them both somewhere to have some lessons with an experienced jockey would be even more perfect! Such a shame the place I found first isn't in business anymore.

Dizzle

Visit site
Have you contacted any local trainers to ask if they had a safe nanny horse he could go up on one day? It might even lead to a bit of part time work riding out!

Ladyinred

Visit site
Suggest you try either emailing or using the contact us' form for holistic horses as I am sure I heard something about it only the other day and they are still operating.

Visit site
Ask around at small local National Hunt yards near you if they could help you out. Going to a big yard is pointless as they are too busy to deal with joy riders, flat yards are mid season so more than likely wouldn't let your OH ride. But a smaller National Hunt yard where the horses are just back into work would be a good shout. They are usually in need of riders and if you offer up his services for a morning of riding out then they may be more swayed than just asking if he can have a shot of one on the gallops. When emailing/phoning give an accurate, honest description of how he rides so they can pair him up with suitable horses.

Good Luck in your search!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Just looked at the link and if it exists it looks fantastic and not too expensive. Tempted! I could do with the jump one to stop me pulling into fences too.

Lacuna

Visit site
I know the lady that runs Holistic Horses - I think that the Racehorse Experience might well make a comeback one of these days. They were very popular!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The bespoke training may be an option actually! Will give them a call and find out more info on it! Was thinking of a simulation session too. I was looking at the point to pointing training course but he won't be pointing this season but aiming to start perhaps the season after next, its too bad his ex racer didn't enjoy his job as taking them both somewhere to have some lessons with an experienced jockey would be even more perfect! Such a shame the place I found first isn't in business anymore.

Just because the ex racer he's buying didn't enjoy racing doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't do and enjoy this sort of thing. It may have been the day in day out, little turnout (mostly not always I know) lifestyle that didn't suit the horse? We have horses in training at my work and rehome those that refuse to race or aren't happy in the environment but sometimes it means something like that they just refuse to race in an actual race but seem to love life on the gallops at home. It depends on the horse but id not rule it out, a few lessons with a jockey and a few jaunts up the gallops will be a very different thing to being in full time training.