Ride and Lead, how do YOU do it?

Mariposa

Visit site
This is how we do it ;) This is our wonderful groom with my ponies last summer - ride one, lead three....and she canters like that!
10173536_10203997132515033_5300708836017035602_n_zps25312f85.jpg

LaMooch

Visit site
I do it with horse I'm leading head near my knee also I use side reins so the horse can still work with a contact. I use a bridle with no reins and use lead rope with a chain through the bit like a curb chain.

Doing ride a lead with horse trailing a) not good from control point of view but b) not good for riders position and posture

Mike007

Visit site
This is how a lot of us older folk learned to ride before outdoor schools and heaven forbid ,indoor luxury. led horse on kerb side at knee . As an added wrinkle to the problems ,we were taught that the needs of the learner came first , even if it meant being unceremoniously pulled off our own mount.

Enfys

Visit site
Oh how I wish there was a like button.

Brontie, very smart photo and I can completely see why driving horses should be level with each other.

Mariposa, oh that photo takes me back ummmm, to the last century ('88 ish) when the only horses available to ride in Germany with the Army were polo ponies, I used to ride and lead three and canter in Munster.

In Wales I would exercise my arab and two welshies in hand at the canter over the mountains, I don't believe in riding twice when once will do :) Lazy bint that I am :) and certainly not in wet welsh Wales in the winter :(

Enfys

Visit site
What B word?

Searches for a 'b' word, I am sure I didn't swear did I?

Oh, bint! :D Whoever got their knickers in a twist over that then? :eek:

Arabic for daughter as far as I am aware, very common (along with ibn) in the names of Arabian horses,
that is the only use I am familiar with.

Daughter of what is up to the reader to decide ;)

Last edited:

pennyturner

Visit site
I train the childrens' ponies to fall behind my horse into single file when I move my hand back to the small of my back, so that we can safely take a narrow path if needed. As soon as I bring my arm back around to my side, they come back alongside.

TBH this is the easy bit. Now if I could just train them not to stop dead for a poo when they feel like it...

frostyfingers

Visit site
I lead the pony out as part of his keep fit regime and he absolutely hates it. He's led in a bridle with an extra long lead rope attached to a newmarket chain, the rope has a large knot at the end so that when he stops dead either for a poo, or just as a general objection to the whole thing I'm less likely to drop the rope. I try to keep his head up by my knee but he lags behind, or if we trot he tries to go further up and round my horse's neck so the whole thing is a bit of a nightmare - which I'm sure he does on purpose to make me less inclined to do it. Occasionally we canter up a field, and he adds to the excitement by bucking!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Lovely yard Red-1 and well mannered horses. Mariposa - is that girl octogroom? How mnay arms/hands does she have?! :D

Seeing these lovely well behaved horses really makes me want to knock to kinks out of mine, he's pretty good very well behaved most of the time, but everyone so often will be a daft beggar that he needs to not be if I'm leading off him.

monkeybum13

Visit site
Led horse to the left, roughly at my knee.

Always on a bridle. I have a rope which is halfway between a lead rope and a lunge line. I wouldn't trust using just a short leadrope! Always clipped onto the bit the far side, threaded over the poll and through the bit on my side.