Ride and lead question....

Marnie

Visit site
I want to ride Marnie and lead Poppy from her, we had a little go this morning and it was no problem, but just wondered what equipment anyone who does similar uses? I put Poppy's bridle on and just used the reins over her head, but wondered if there was a better way?

Thanks!

244jimmy

Visit site
used to use a special bridal with the left rain through the back of the bit that way the reins dont get in the way..

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I've always thread the nearside rein through the offside bit ring, them buckled them back together.

If shod horses, I put brushing boots (all round on ridden horse and on fronts of lead horse) and over-reach boots on ridden horse.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Use a normal bridle but snaffle bit in case the reins catch on them - the reins go over the head then pass the left rein through the right bit ring and put a knot in the end
smile.gif

longtalltilly

Visit site
i usually put brushing boots all round on both horses and normal bridle with the nearside rein threaded through the right side! If on the road make sure you keep the led horse on your inside so you are between the traffic and them!

Marnie

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I haven't ridden and led for ages, and that is what I used to do with the reins, but had forgotten! Both were also booted up.

Thanks again!

Haniki

Visit site
I lead my horse in a headcollar with a long lead rein but with a bridle (without reins) underneath. If she gets strong I clip the lead rein to her nearside bit ring and thread it through the offside ring. She prefers to be lead off a headcollar (soft mouth) and I lead her from her mother so they know each other well!

Tia

Visit site
I always lead from the nearside and have the led horse on a 10ft leather lead shank. I always attach my shank to the horse's halter, however over in England it is normal to lead directly from the bit, generally with the shank slotting through the bit on the offside and connected on the nearside of the bit. I'd never use reins to lead a horse with.

muffinino

Visit site
I used to ride and lead just by taking the reins off the led pony's bridle and threading a long lead rope through the offside bit ring and attaching it to the nearside one (does that make sense? I know what I mean!).
I had to lead pairs of scurry ponies too, so would do the above, put the led pony's headcollar on over the bridle and linking the other pony to it it via a rope on the headcollar ring. As they were always driven together and used to going side by side, they went really nicely like this.