Ride and lead with a horse that nips!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We have two big horses, both of which are weight watchers. I need to get both moving more, so to save time am going to ride and lead more, so I can go further with both horses rather than two shorter rides.

They ride and lead really well together, I ride her, he stays at her shoulder, tucks in behind on narrow tracks, will rein back and turn on the forehand with her to open gates etc., changes pace easily, doesn't over take. However he has one fault, he nips. He bites her or me given the chance. You get hardly any indication he is going to do it, he has a butter doesn't melt expression. It really hurts! I growl at him, flick the leadrein at him, kick his nose (gently!) whatever, but he still does it again a few minutes later. He is a bit of a biter in general, he will nip when leading out to the field (kind of excited lets play nips rather than ears back and nasty). I've had him seven years but haven't been able to get him out of the habit, you just have to have his head up next to you and keep an eye out.

Any suggestions? I've tried them the other way around, but she doesn't like to be behind, so tries to over take him and won't drop behind on narrow paths, also she is my horse and I prefer riding her! I lead him with a bridle on, with reins off and a showing link between the rings and a lead rein off the link (the leadrein is longer so I can let him drop behind to go single file on tracks, plus he used to bite the reins when I wasn't looking and chew them!) I feel like a grazing muzzle is needed, but wouldn't have the control I'd like. At the moment I end up riding with my arm out at 45 degrees to keep him far enough away.

mil1212

Visit site
I have the same problem so will be interested to see the responses! You used to be able to get those plastic half muzzle things to stop horses biting their rugs, I have no idea what they were called or if they are still made, but I reckon that could be a plan. I have just searched ebay for nosebags and it seems there are more nosebags available for rocking horses than anything else....!

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I had a similar problem with gelding trying to bite the mare I was leading him from. She didn't like it, and when he accidentally bit me instead I liked it even less. I just used a flash strap to stop his mouth opening wide enough to do damage to either of us. It didn't have to be very tight, but it meant it took him that much longer to position himself to bite that I could growl and stop him.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes, a siderein is an idea, but we use tracks and bridleways that are rocky, plus its very hilly here, so I don't know that strapping his head is a good idea, he will need to balance a bit.

I think he needs a muzzle of some sort, but I can't work out how to do it and still have the rein control..

Hetsmum

Visit site
Yes, a siderein is an idea, but we use tracks and bridleways that are rocky, plus its very hilly here, so I don't know that strapping his head is a good idea, he will need to balance a bit.

I think he needs a muzzle of some sort, but I can't work out how to do it and still have the rein control..

I use a Greenguard muzzle - the older type. Put a headcollar over the top of the bridle then coupling the bit to my lead rein. The greenguard attaches to my headcollar. Simple! x

Wishful

Visit site
Saw a picture of a driving horse with a muzzle somewhere. Not much help as no idea where but it must have been compatible with a bit etc.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
He nips with it on? That's determination... Hannibal lecter mask?

I know! I often think about taking some of his teeth out.

I think we have an old greenguard somewhere. I may perhaps try cutting the back section out so the leadrein can hang down. Hmmm.

be positive

Visit site
A nosenet with some elastic to tie to the back of the drop noseband, or one of the extended fly masks that cover the nose, a bit of elastic threaded through to hold it in place should stop him.

cauda equina

Visit site
Saw a picture of a driving horse with a muzzle somewhere. Not much help as no idea where but it must have been compatible with a bit etc.

I think this was Boyd Exel (? sp ) with one of a team of 4 .

My old boy used to bite constantly when being led , both the leading horse and me .

He was in a bridle / coupling like yours . I just put a bucket type muzzle over the whole lot . There was no loss of control but he spent entire rides trying to scrape the muzzle off by rubbing it against my knee . I gave up in the end

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
So far my best solution has been the schooling whip between them, but its awkward and I'm worried it will snap/get bitten. Perhaps I need a feather duster to have between them/bop him with!