Ride and lead.....

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I've done it on the beach with a very badly behaved pony (ride) and his wonderful stable mate mare who would have stayed close even had I let go. We went in the sea and everything. My old horse (ride) and the kids' pony used to go nicely on the roads, too.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Never done it.
How do you start to do it?
How do you pick who to ride and who to lead ?
What to look out for before it goes wrong.
Who gets the fittest the ridden one of us there not much in it?
Thanks in advance
Gw
X

I started in the school with my mare and her son.
Its normally who was not being ridden at the time, or due to size could not ride
Make sure you keep lead horse by your leg, careful in woods so one does not go round a tree wrong way (my boy tried) - good voice commands and respect from both horses with each other.
I don't worry about fitness safety is my strongest concern.

Trust in the horses too. My mare and her son I could walk trot and canter them never a issue.

My mare and the pony just walk and trot
horses attitude is important

Lurfy

Visit site
I rode the slower one and lead the fast one. It worked well. I started in an enclosed arena and graduated to open space after a couple of sessions. I didn't have anything go wrong, but I also was more cautious about where we rode/led compared to when i rode alone. I don't think one getting fitter than the other. Have a go, I really liked it.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I’ve never been brave enough to try ride and lead, I’d be bound to get in a muddle.

I did just come across this photo, though. How many horses do you have, OP? Only 5? Easy peasy :D.

View attachment 66286
Reminds me of Park Farm where I trained, ua all riding the naughty ponies back from the field and leading 6 school ponies. (no roads all within the grounds) Anyone else from PF remember this???

J&S

Visit site
I used to do this all over the New Forest, plus a dog at heel! Loved it, just me an my animal family. I rode the slower one and led the faster one, we even jumped the odd gorse bush. In Devon I do the same, rode the experienced mare and led the younger one, to gain confidence going out and about. No problems in the lanes or on tracks. Now I ride the semi retired mare and lead the companion pony, I tried it the other way round and companion tried to back up and kick the mare, she is good as gold being led though. I use a longish rope attached to a ring on the noseband of a Zilco bridle. Reins are still attached but wound up in the throat lash. A schooling whip held between them can act as a reminder to keep up or keep in. I have a method to mount in the yard where I can place the block where I need it but it is more difficult for me to mount again if I have to get off when I am out!!

huskydamage

Visit site
How do you guys find it to pony on roads? Back in CO, I regularly ponied my youngster and other horses off Gypsum, but we had direct access to trails. No road work needed. I would love to be able to pony Gypsum and the youngster (provided Gypsum stays sound enough), but there's a fairly busy, narrow road between us and the park. When I'm hacking with mates, we fall into single file when cars come so they can get around us more easily. I'm wary of ponying on this, and I'm thinking I will be handwalking the 3-year old in the park while other people ride.

I personally only do it v quiet lanes, if I car comes I find a verge/pull in somewhere. I don't go on the main road as one of mine is scared of lorries and I don't fancy the agro of trying to untangle myself in front of that! If I had 2 horses that were both really good in all traffic I'd probably do a short stretch to get to paths

sport horse

Visit site
Always use a bridle on led horse, remove reins, use a link between bit rings and then clip lead rein to ring in centre of link (google Shires bit link!). Only have one rein to hold and proper control of horse. Not sure how well your insurance would be if you had an accident in a rope headcollar - would it be deemed you had not got proper control?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Definitely start somewhere quiet - the school if you have one or the yard. Go out on quiet lanes with someone else on their horse the first time.

I always have high vis on both horses. So if you ever do come apart you’re all visible to traffic. Lead horse on the edge of the road with ridden horse closer to traffic.

I always rode the faster, sharper horse. I swapped them round once and spent the whole ride with my left leg stuck out at a right angle trying to stop my mare from overtaking the horse I was riding! Both horses are good in traffic and well behaved.

I used the bridle but took the reins off the lead horse and used a long lead rein attached to showing chain. I had a few knots tied in the lead rope that gave me more to hang onto on the odd occasion things went wrong!

My two got brilliant at it. I could open the stable door and get the lead horse out while mounted, open gates. Canter on bridleways. My lead horse would drop behind to let cars past on narrow lanes then catch up again. He was a good listener, so responsive to voice commands. His only fault was that he’d bite my knee a lot!

cauda equina

Visit site
Re a mare/gelding combo - I used to lead a 13 hand gelding off a 16 hand mare
It was completely fine except when she was in season
Then he would just stand by her back end and it was a devil of a job to get either of them to move

PoniesRock

Visit site
I ride and lead mine all the time, especially through the winter. Means they both get a decent leg stretch rather than both getting a quick flick around the block. The only issue I have is that I have to ride the same one as she won’t be led ??‍♀️ She just stands and refuses to move!! Really frustrating! The other issue I have is that I’m sure that it could be fixed with a schooling whip but I can’t get anywhere near my Connie with a whip so being sat on her to tap the other to walk on wouldn’t be safe. Soooo I just stick to riding the same one. They both get exercised and the led one doesn’t change, even if she’s only actually sat on once a week. So whatever works for you!