Ride in country boots - yay or nay?

m1stify

Visit site
I have country boots and I ride in them now and again, but I have seen some comments here that people would never ride in them. I understand that they may not give you the same feeling as a more close fitting boot but is there another reason why i.e. safety?
would be interested in your opinions.

Follysmum

Visit site
I ride in my Dubarrys and other country boots. I do have cages though so no worry of foot getting through. I find them really comfy and only wear Ariat trainers when warm.

Capriole

Visit site
I wouldn't in mine as the soles would be fairly unsafe (can't remember what the term is but the bottoms are very textured), and also, I think it would ruin them fairly quickly and I like to keep them for smarter wear.

9tails

Visit site
I ride in my country boots all the time. Yes, they're textured but they have a decent heel and I wear cheesegrater stirrups.

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
I ride in my grassmere's all the time but since the hot weather started I have been riding in my short boots and have noticed a massive difference. My leg position is better and I don't get the sore knee that I normally do when riding. The ariats also seem to allow me to fix my right heel quite low (probably the source of the sore knee) which I can't do in short boots and chaps. Think I'll keep my grassmeres away from riding for now and see what happens.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'll ride in anything, country boots, wellies, trainers, etc if I'm just riding out or exercising. For schooling, I ride in proper boots.

I have some Le Chameau Jameson's for general wear but don't ride much in them as the top gets caught on the saddle flaps unless I put fleece welly liners in them.

kizmund

Visit site
I ride in my Ariat windermeres all the time in winter as they keep my feet toastie! Am riding in short boots in this hot weather and am keeping my eye out for some Ariat bromonts as mine have just died.

LeannePip

Visit site
Nay! I used to ride in wellies/country boots, but much prefer riding in normal boots they don't feel as clumpy and get a better reaction from my leg, my horse is v. Lazy so need as much help as I can get to get a event reaction! I also found the tips of the wellies/c.boots woul at h on the saddle and slip down just not very comfy!

Feathered

Visit site
No I don't, I have some ariat Windermeres and I love them and wear them for just about everything other than riding.
I prefer the closer feel and contact from my short boots and gaiters.

Also think it looks ugly when some of these boots go all saggy, have seen some people riding with them practically drooped round their ankles.... Maybe I'm just being a snob but its not a good look and must hamper your ability to give a clear aid.

walkers_dream

Visit site
I have mountain horse jod boots, which have a similar sole, and never had an issue, they have alot of tread so to speak on the sole, and looking to buy some country boots for winter (be a tad warmer i think)

personally prefer the thicker boots as i feel more secure, i dont have alot of strength in my legs so struggle keeping my foot in the right place when needed and find it helps with this. But if you are a novice i would always say get normal boots so that if you need to your boot can have free movement of coming out the stirrup...but then it also depends on the stirrup..

in all ill ride in anything really its only high heels i would call it a no at :p (jumping off would suck haha)

sandi_84

Visit site
I bought some toggi canyons because my mudruckers kept getting holes in them and letting the water in, I couldn't ride in them because they were so stiff and thick and wearing my long boots all day at the yard was giving me blisters :(

So I needed something comfortable for every day all day wear that were waterproof and that I could ride in without having to change boots.

Apparently they aren't the best choice for riding but I've never had a problem in mine, they are broken in so can keep flexability in my ankles and my foot has never slipped through the stirrup even when sitting to bucks and spooks. All in all I love my country boots they are so comfy I wear them everywhere :eek:

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
I have occasionally forgotten to change boots and ridden in my dubarry clares but I can't feel anything in them, they are quite a baggy boot though I think I always end up with boots full of hay/seeds from doing haynets as the tops are so big, much prefer short boots and chaps for riding.

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
It's only in the summer I wear proper boots and chaps - winter wear is Dubarries or Argyle wellies!!! Naughty me! Obviously only for hacking etc - wouldn't if I had a lesson!

Diesal

Visit site
It would be a YAY from me. My Forest Highlanders from Mountain Horse are fine to ride in, the blurb says that the sole is specifically designed for it. :)