Ride & lead.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm trying to do ride and lead with a Shetland off my 13.3 pony. Problem is that the Shetland likes to squash right up to my pony as we go along and I find it really hard to keep him away. I'm practising at the moment with no rider as when we tried with a rider she kept banging herself on my stirrup or kicking my pony's legs. I tried to tell the rider to steer the pony away from mine but she is too inexperienced to do it very well. We went out for an hour today without a rider and the Shetland keeps up with my pony really well but is always pushing into the side of mine. If I get mad at him and tell him off the little sod then runs forward and tries to go under my pony's neck which is even worse! My pony is fortunately very tolerant of him.
Any hints from others who do it?

JDH01

Visit site
I have ridden and led for years with a variety of horse combinations and some work better than others. I have to say I have always found it harder with a big size difference. Try using bitted bridle with the lead rope threaded from the bit ring on the far side through the one closest to you so you have some better head control. I have also had success carrying a schooling whip on the side of the led horse to position them slightly away from you but not to hit them with obviously.

Gloi

Visit site
The Shetland is 37" and his head is at stirrup height. He is actually very good at keeping up to my pony and matches his speed perfectly. The way I can control him best is if I hold my arm right out to the side so I hold him away but that is very tiring after a short time. I've tried a schooling whip but he is covered in 3" of thick fur and takes little notice even if I smack him and it winds my pony up if I wave it too much. The most successful thing is a few good prods with my boot but I can't do that with the rider on. He is the sort of Shetland that isn't scared of anything or anyone.
attachment.php

A rare time when he is behaving with his rider.

Last edited:

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Does he try and bite your ankles too? These little ponies can be tiny terrors. Could you get a more experienced child to ride him out with you a couple of times so he gets the message?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Try poking him with the schooling whip lol.

Teach him to move away from a nudge then just nudge him with your foot.

I've done it with a 32" Shetland and a 15.2 welsh D so it's absolutely possible regardless of size difference. Don't have pics of that but this is a 13.2. All of mine are really well trained to ride and lead and will stay at the lead horse's shoulder and not invade our space.

I've definitely used a schooling whip and a variety of poking and prodding techniques to get them trained. Well worth it. This pair the first time I took them out the little one attacked the big one (full on hind legs rearing up biting her, daughter fell off then he turned round and double barrelled us!). My mare was terrified and I had to let him go. He was so ferocious I literally could not kick him off us he's like a terrier when he gets going. I've never seen anything like it in my life. Anyway he's 100% now too! Although I always turn him out with any new lead horse so he can batter it into submission in the field (!).

Goldenstar

Visit site
I prod them with the handle end of a dressage whip until they get the idea .
Great thing to do with a Shetland will help to keep him slim.

Gloi

Visit site
Fortunately he isn't an ankle biter Peregrine :) and he doesn't bite my pony either because she bosses him in the field so he wouldn't dare. He can't be easily led off the other quiet pony we have though as he spends all his time trying to get up to his chin to bite it or bites his legs and they get in all sorts of squabbles so we gave up on that! I can imagine it ending up like your experience Ffion as those two like to scrap in the field. Your picture is ever so cute!
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to carry a piece of plastic pipe next time that I can use to give him a good poke and see how well that works. He isn't very sensitive to small jabs with the schooling whip, he's a tough little thug on the quiet.