Ride-on fly rugs

holeymoley

Visit site
So these came out a few years ago, my YO at the time bought one and I thought she was off her head :D anyway, a few years later down the line, I've had well and truly enough of the clegs :eek: there's only so much you can take, I only managed to ride for 15/20minutes last night because they were horrific . Please tell me your experience of a ride on fly rug and which make it was, I'm really keen to get one.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I bought a zebra one from Kraemer on sale for about 30 Euro. Its been worth it. Not only do my friend and I look excellent on our pair of matching zebras, the bugs are less of an issue. Makes hacking more enjoyable this time of year.

Although, my horse is downright afraid of said zebra rug unless it is on him...because he's a total loon.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I have the Amigo Fly Rider and it makes a huge difference. My horse is really sensitive and very reactive to flies so it was not enjoyable riding him. I got one last year it was worth the money. I was lucky and got it in the sale for £30. I think they are nearer £60 full price but it has made such a difference I would happily pay that.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I bought this one last year: https://www.equus.co.uk/products/bu...ise-combo-fly-rug?_pos=3&_sid=cc175a244&_ss=r

Honestly, the best £35 I have ever spent! It fits my Welsh cob really well - very roomy around the chest - and the horseflies don't land at all (although they continue to land on me, so I need to get a zebra print onesie). My horse is black and we would get absolutely chewed alive by horseflies but not any more. It truly has transformed my summer riding, as once the horseflies came out I wouldn't hack out until they had gone again but now we have this rug we're unstoppable :D

I can't speak highly enough of this ride-on rug. I thought it would be rubbish for the price (both fit and quality) it is but it's a bargain. Recommend to everyone!

holeymoley

Visit site
Excellent! thank you I will have a look at all these. I was skeptical of the zebra print one.... my horse is piebald, it could be a bit interesting! However if they definitely make a difference I will wear anything. Any tips for the rider? They seem to go for my thighs.... thinking a bee keeper suit is the only thing!o_O

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Excellent! thank you I will have a look at all these. I was skeptical of the zebra print one.... my horse is piebald, it could be a bit interesting! However if they definitely make a difference I will wear anything. Any tips for the rider? They seem to go for my thighs.... thinking a bee keeper suit is the only thing!o_O
I was skeptical as well but my jaw was almost on the floor when I first went out in it and the horseflies buzzed about but wouldn't land. Re the rider, you could try a suit of armour I suppose. Or wear zebra stripes leggings and t-shirt ?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I reluctantly bought the horseware ride on fly rug last year after my horse was eaten alive on hacks. Surprisingly, it made a massive difference and didn't slip, pull or overheat the horse.
On the day I didn't use it, because it was breezy and not particularly warm, my horse seemed more irritated by flies than before he'd ever experienced the relief of not being annoyed by flies on a ride.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I always assumed they wouldn’t protect the tummy area so wouldn’t be much good. Quite surprised and tempted now I’ve read this thread.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have had a yellow one (attracts flies!), a white one and a zebra one. The zebra one is amazing. Really keeps flies off, and I don't get bitten half as much either, as they are simply not attracted over.

I wanted zebra without a closed front, to prevent rubbed shoulders. I ended up buying from the EU. Was a bit worried as I paid in euros, but it came safely and quickly.

https://www.epplejeck.com/exercise-fly-sheet-epplejeck-zebra_16906.html

Squeak

Visit site
I have the Rambo Vamoose one and wish I'd gone for a zebra one with a fringe instead.

I'd thought it would be something where having the rambo, that are usually a really good fit, would be worth it for riding in and that the vamoose would also be a welcome bonus but haven't found they've done a great job with the flies tbh.

ETA interesting that the amigo ones seem to work - maybe it's their darker colour or just that I have particularly persistent flies....