Ride to work

smolmaus

Visit site
I'm still WFH but I have considered whether or not Sadie could do what she's bred to do and take me to Tescos and back in a wee cart. Thats the only thing I use the car for, except getting down to see her! She can move into the garage, I'll peg her out on the communal green in front of the house and she can cut down on the petrol used for grass mowing too.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I have to take half an orchestra to work each day, so would be tricky. I could switch to penny whistle though!

The whistle is a great instrument!

I WFH. But I'm sure the horses would enjoy my tiny garden. Foinavon is bred to carry dead stags down a mountain. I think he could manage the weekly Morrison's shop.

Visit site
I did once. I rode my pony to night feeds and back ? about 3 miles across the stubble fields in total ?? he was not amused that I was giving all the horses hay and feed and he was getting nothing more than a quick snatch of hay every so often!

fetlock

Visit site
I did think about it years ago, when working about 5 miles away in the city centre. There was a brewery in the city centre with stables for their dray horses so did contemplate asking them if I could park my horse there during the day but never did.

When my mum worked for the Civil Service (DHSS) many years ago, a girl she worked there with did ride her horse to work a few times however. She would tether him on the central grassy roundabout right outside the main building entrance and the security man used to go out to water him throughout the day...

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
The distance is do-able. The primary school kids would, I dare say, love a horse in the school field. However, I'm not sure the risk assessments, the caretaker or some of the teachers would go for it!

The last part of the journey is also silly-traffic. I do it on my pedal bike sometimes and the wagons almost blow you over, they are so close and fast.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Anyone considering it yet? Not convinced it would be in any way cheaper ?https://allnewspress.com/waiter-rides-to-work-panorama/
Saw this story on face ache

I heard this on the French radio a few weeks ago, and it made me smile. I'd like to see horses and carts used for local deliveries; in my side of town it would definitely be possible.

In January there is a cart pulled by two horses that comes around collecting Christmas trees.

But I don't know if it would be as cheap as employing short-contract or self-employed drivers who are paid peanuts and zip around over the speed limit to make their scheduled number of deliveries in as few hours as possible.

planete

Visit site
I did for a while when I lived in north Wales. In all north welsh weathers. You and the horse need to be fairly traffic proof and the horse laid-back enough to be left wherever you can park him without blowing a fuse at being left somewhere a bit alien on his own for hours. I do not think it would be fair on many horses nowadays.

Gamebird

Visit site
Many years ago I took a rare (and begrudged by the boss) day off to go hunting. Half way through the day my phone rang - it was the office. There was a cow to caesar and the boss was 'too busy' to do it. I rode my horse about 3 miles to the client's farm, where a nurse met me with the surgical kit. I left my horse in a cow pen, performed the caesarean, the hacked 4 miles home cross country in the now-dark.

J&S

Visit site
At one time I bought the residue from a closing down tack shop, quite a lot of stuff! I sold a good proportion of it on ebay and regularly rode to the local post office to send it off. It is a 5 mile circuit, out one way, back another, a pleasant way to do business!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I did think it would kill two birds with one stone when we were only 6 miles away.

Give it was porton down there was quite a strict no animals on site rule though ?? Despite the lovely patch of grass out the back that would have been perfect.