Rider Fitness.. running.. advice??

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I hate running.. but i really think i ought to make the effort...
In the past i don't think i've ever really gone about it in the right way... ie like a bull in a china shop, then burn out and give up..

I just noticed a 'status update' on facebook from Santa (off HHO) and it said, 3 runs in 3 days and already noticing the difference...

So.. what's the best way to start????
I have a stop watch.. shall i run slowly for how many mins?? and then increase if by how many mins each day??

What i really want to improve is my stamina.. i get out of breath in about 100yrds
crazy.gif

If i go for a short run every day.. how long will it be till i notice much of a difference.. i'm guessing alot longer than 3 days for someone as unfit as me
frown.gif
???

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I started by going running and walking, which is easier (imo) if you live in a built up area. I run for one block (sorry for non-english terminolgy!) then walk for one, run for one. Aim to be out for at least half an hour.

Then after a week or a few weeks, walk one block, run two and so on. Or you could buy one of those fancy running watches that bleeps at you every 1/2/3 mins so that you can time your run/walk bits instead of measuring the distance.

Then when you are out of breath, find a patch of grass with a bench or similar and do some sit-up, press-ups, tricep dips, etc etc, go for a bit more running then repeat the sit-ups etc. You will start to feel better! I have stopped doing this, and now feel like such a fat pleb
frown.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Well i have one of the big yellow event rider watches, so i was just going to wear that..
I'm more interested in time than distance i think.. as to begin with, i doubt i'll be able to go very far
crazy.gif

happy_talk

Visit site
I'm certainly no expert but I think you will always get out of breath to start with... perhaps build up to the run slowly ie, start moving about, walking slowly, then speed the walk up to get the blood pumping. Then start jogging slowly, I think you will find if you start slowly it doesn't suddenly hit you after 100yds and gasping for breath. I really struggle when I get up from lazing on the sofa and then run out of the door. Also, make sure you breath properly, ideally through your nose.
I've never got into running by running for X minutes... I find i'm better off running at which ever pace I feel comfortable at until I really need to stop... then i walk for a bit and then start running again. As the days go by, try and lengthen the "running" distances. Make targets - to get to mrs jones' house before i can have a short walk break etc. As you are running for stamina, I guess the speed isn;t important, so just keep moving through the tough bits until you find your rhythm?

BigRed

Visit site
If you want to get fit by running, make sure you buy a decent pair of trainers and go online and search for 5k training plans, they will explain how in a very few weeks, you can work up from having done no running, to being able to run 5k.

I prefer swimming personally, but the key is to keep doing the exercise, whatever it is, on a regular basis. It's no good killing yourself one day, being in pain the next and then giving up.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I would like to push myself more, but find running so hard (and boring) can never wear headphones etc, they are too annoying, always fall out (well, I have such petite ladylike ears
grin.gif
)

If you can make someone go with you that helps enormously, as you can push each other to run that extra 100m or whatever. I did find running at night very helpful too. In the country with no streetlights etc I could run for 40 mins solid (ok so not very fast though!). But I think because I couldn't see any landmarks (could barely see the road!) I couldn't say to myself, 'just to that next tree etc' I just kept going.

It is better to run in light drizzle too apparently as there is more readily available oxygen in the air so make sit easier to breathe - so no excuse not to do anything on the miserable days
smile.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Brill.. have just read the 'cool running' plan.. out loud to mum, and have talked her into it too..
So thanks to you guys, i have a running plan, and a running partner!!
Woohooo... i WILL get fit!!
grin.gif

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Brill.. have just read the 'cool running' plan.. out loud to mum, and have talked her into it too..
So thanks to you guys, i have a running plan, and a running partner!!
Woohooo... i WILL get fit!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

MDM do you want to get fit for eventing? Because I have a personal training plan at home devised for me by a personal trainer at my gym to specifically concentrate on fitness for eventing. It is very different to 'general' plans (I used to be ultra-fit when I went adventure racing) and I noticed the results really fast, plus it is brilliant as only takes 40mins twice a week (the more often you do it, the quicker you see results). For eventing, it's all about upping the resistance over time, helps with endurance and means you don't get tired the further through the event/round the course you get. I did it for 2 months before Aldon and it made a massive difference.

I could scan and email it to you if you want? (PM me)

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
ha ha yes I have started running recently with girls from work. We have a 2mile circuit which is also very flat which is perfect to start building up my fitness. I have been doing it about 3 weeks now running 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri lunches!). We started simply jogging and had to walk every so often, but now have got to the point where can jog/run the entire way. I have also started with the intention of running in the evenings on Tues and Thurs so running 5 times a week. At home we have hills so it also means I am now including some hill work which is far harder but will build up my fitness far quicker.

But definitely start slowly and make sure to warm up and down. It will hurt like hell at first (was my calves for me) but after about a week it didn't hurt for more than few hours and now I was even thinking about going out again this evening having run at lunch as my plans went up the spout due to a crash on the M5 (hence new status
wink.gif
).

Just take it slowly, I find listening to my ipod really helps as 4 songs is about 20 mins which is me doing 2 miles steadily.

I have taken about 6 mins so far off my time for the 2miles circuit at work and thats with a horrid strong wind blowing in my face for just under a mile which really slows me up!

The only downside of it so far is that my calves are getting bigger and I can only just get my long boots on now
blush.gif

madmav

Visit site
Best advice I was given was to build up slowly. So to start with, run for one minute, walk for one minute several times. Next time, try for 90 seconds. Do this maybe three, four times a week until you build up to a decent run.

Always wear good shoes (I use MBTs), a sports bra and I personally don't run on roads - only grass. Think it's kinder to joints. And a dog can help it seem less boring.

It's very effective at getting you fit. Just so dull!

christian

RaThEr-bE-RiDiN0610.bebo.com
i don't run as its boring! I cycle!! Its more exiting!

when i was training for tetrathlons i went running a bit but tried to avoid it at all costs.

If you dislike running so much, there are othe, more fun ways to get better CV fitness (cycling, swimming...)