Rider Insurance

Umbongo

Visit site
Who has it and who are you with?

I have been riding for years and never had insurance.
I have started sharing a horse 3 days a week with a financial contribution but no contract (I have tried!)

Following a heavy fall recently and knowing that I am not getting any younger, I am trying to look around for rider insurance.
I was going to join BHS as it has great public liability insurance, but the personal injury cover doesn't look that great in comparison to some other companies- who then in turn offer less in the way of public liability.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

pennyturner

Visit site
Liability insurance, such as offered by the BHS, BDS and others is not intended to cover you in the event of a fall. It is to compensate 3rd parties for loss suffered as a result of your horse.

Be careful when considering insurance for your own risk (i.e. accident). You can get personal accident insurance fairly cheaply, which will pay out if you lose an eye, leg, finger etc. There's a reason it's cheap - it hardly ever pays out, and when it does, the amounts are tiny. They even reduce the amount if, say, you only lose half a finger.

To cover your actual risk, e.g. loss of earnings for 40 years, permanent medical care etc as a result of an accident, you will have to look at Permanent Health (income protection) insurance as well as health insurance, both are very expensive.

It might be easier and more cost effective to just make sure you're in a position to claim against someone else, should the worst happen. e.g. always ride someone else's horse. It'd be cheaper than the insurance, even at a top RS prices.

iaej

Visit site
The best I could find at the moment was the Rider Insurance with PetPlan Equine; it covers you for most losses up to £20000 and will pay if you are temporarily as well as totally disabled. It is £99 for a 12 months and you can pay by monthly DD if you wish without an additional fee. I have not claimed from them so cannot say what they are like but have heard many a good thing. :)