Rider too big for pony

tomspride

Visit site
On facebook there is a person who has posted a picture of a young girl aged about ten or eleven riding a little shetland, it's difficult to work out the riders weight as she is wearing a big yellow vest but she still looks far too big.
Do you agree with letting this girl ride the pony, would you let her if the pony was yours?

tankgirl1

Visit site
The pony is 100% sound and well even over stony ground. The issue was the cub saddle which was inappropriate, and has not been near him since. Adults ride shetties all the time at shows etc. I appreciate your concern, but it is misplaced in this instance :)

Shay

Visit site
Like a lot of things on facebook - I'm not sure it is any of your business OP. If you know the person in real life and have genuine concerns then raise them direct. If not - let it go. Raising them on a forum doesn't help anyone -and can amount to bullying. If it is tankgirl you have her explanation. If not - keep it off line.

Hipo

Visit site
That is certainly not a picture I would have looked at and thought wow that rider is too big!
She is probably a few stones lighter than a lot of show riders on Shetlands, only difference is she has got her stirrups longer.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My daughter used to get on ours and hack him out at that kind of size, he loved it! It’s nice for a Shetland to be ridden by someone bigger I think now and then (or even regularly!) because they rarely have the opportunity to do much more than lead rein plodding.

whiteflower

Visit site
I don't think she looks too big, I agree her stirrups are the correct length rather than hoiked up as they often are for taller riders in the show ring but that's a good thing in relation to not sitting her on the back of the saddle. If he was mine I would rather a light, slightly tall rider gave him some exercise rather than him sitting in a field getting fat

MagicMelon

Visit site
Nope, looks fine to me. She's just tall but if she's ony 5 stone then I dont think thats too much by any means. As we all know "big" by way of too tall for a pony doesnt matter, its the weight of the rider.

OP, if its not this rider then its hard for anyone to comment given they cant see it? Yes of course its wrong if the rider is too heavy for the pony but that can be quite hard to judge from a photo unless its blindingly obvious.

cundlegreen

Visit site
You do realise that standard shetlands have been ridden by adults in their native environment? Height has nothing to do with it. They are probably the strongest native despite their height. Anyone who has been carted off by one will know what I mean!

Snowfilly

Visit site
Standard Shetlands are the sturdiest little things going. I grew up with a Shetland mare, and rode her lightly until her retirement when I was 21! My mum used to hack her out in walk and trot, bareback, at a weight of about 9.5 to 10'stone.
Many of them are ridden well by adults In the show ring.

I think the girl might be a bit leggy - I certainly noticed my balance wasn't great as an adult because there was nowhere for my legs to go - but she is far from too heavy and bringing it up on a general forum isn't an appropriate way of dealing with it if there was a problem.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
All I can add that is that I got trounced by a adult on a Shetland at dressage, they are sturdy and strong and capable. Even a slightly heavier rider just riding along the road would not be that much. I think the judge of the situation should be the people there, not people observing via a photograph. Tankgirl is more likely to dance the cancan on a tightrope, in front of the queen of England in a tutu,than harm a hair on her pony's head, so this can not be about her pony. If it is then the OP is wrong in this case, rider is fine

ozpoz

Visit site
Nope, looks fine to me. She's just tall but if she's ony 5 stone then I dont think thats too much by any means. As we all know "big" by way of too tall for a pony doesnt matter, its the weight of the rider.

OP, if its not this rider then its hard for anyone to comment given they cant see it? Yes of course its wrong if the rider is too heavy for the pony but that can be quite hard to judge from a photo unless its blindingly obvious.

Sorry, that's not correct. If a rider is too tall for a pony the saddle can't accomodate them without pressing on vertebra which are not able to cope. So, it isn't just the weight, or size of seat, but the length from hip to thigh. All of these can impact. And the old saying, if the picture is wrong then it's probably wrong holds good for me. I'm saddened by everything thrown at our natives as riders get bigger and heavier almost with every passing year.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Sorry, that's not correct. If a rider is too tall for a pony the saddle can't accomodate them without pressing on vertebra which are not able to cope. So, it isn't just the weight, or size of seat, but the length from hip to thigh. All of these can impact. And the old saying, if the picture is wrong then it's probably wrong holds good for me. I'm saddened by everything thrown at our natives as riders get bigger and heavier almost with every passing year.

I also don't think that the fact they were used in the past to carry heavy weghts like deer and adults means that they should be expected to do so in this day and age, when we have tractors and quad bikes to do the work ponies used to have to do.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
But the OP is not talking about a man carrying a deer but an 11 year old girl! Shetlands are phenomenally strong for their size. Anything up to 8 stone should be totally fine all day long, and heavier for shorter periods. The average 11 year old is less then 6 stone. Can't see it being an issue at all.

ozpoz

Visit site
I don't like to repeat myself but just because someone, or some judges, can ignore a saddle impinging on the spinal processes doesn't mean that it is ok to do so.
Shetlands tend to be quite short backed. Zooming around when ridden is not an indication of comfort.
My favourite 4 year old looks great on his shetland and I hope he still fits him for another couple of years.

tankgirl1

Visit site
I don't like to repeat myself but just because someone, or some judges, can ignore a saddle impinging on the spinal processes doesn't mean that it is ok to do so.
Shetlands tend to be quite short backed. Zooming around when ridden is not an indication of comfort.
My favourite 4 year old looks great on his shetland and I hope he still fits him for another couple of years.

I know this post wasn't about my shettie as I wrongly assumed, but the girl on him was in a cub saddle in the photo I posted. Said saddle hasn't been near him since, and next time she comes up I have the option of either trying them in a pony saddle belonging to the YO, or more likely bareback, with just a saddlepad and surcingle

tankgirl1

Visit site
But the OP is not talking about a man carrying a deer but an 11 year old girl! Shetlands are phenomenally strong for their size. Anything up to 8 stone should be totally fine all day long, and heavier for shorter periods. The average 11 year old is less then 6 stone. Can't see it being an issue at all.

I would very much like to see the pic the OP is referring to so I could put it alongside the pic I posted for comparison

Dave's Mam

Visit site
This is Frankie Currell on Classic. He's absolutely up to her weight. This is a fit, working & really good Shetty.

35346884_10209372510989402_697775934689771520_n.jpg

tankgirl1

Visit site
This is Frankie Currell on Classic. He's absolutely up to her weight. This is a fit, working & really good Shetty.

35346884_10209372510989402_697775934689771520_n.jpg

My little rider and Hercs have a way to go, but she's obviously not to heavy for him! That's a great pic, I have told Hercs rider she is not allowed to grow any more! :p

tankgirl1

Visit site
I think someone has been shouted down tbh, If OP has a problem with the way I keep my ponies then please just come to me and say so!