Riders ability/ Bringing on a younger horse

Rachntabby

Term Time: Manchester Holiday: Stoke-on-Trent
Visit site
Just something that I have been thinking about rather than doing my uni assignments, oops!

What level of ability do you think a rider would have to be to buy/loan a younger horse?

When I get my next horse in about 3/4 years I would really like a younger horse to bring on but I'm terrified of not being good enough and ruining a perfectly good horse :S
I re-schooled tabs and according to her new loan owner I did a brilliant job :)

So I've basically done local and county shows, a bit of XC and dressage and all that jazz. Do you guys reckon I would be ok with a younger horse?

Bit of a pointless post but I was thinking about it and you guys on here are so knowledgeable!

Cheers Rach :)

Becky&Ollie-x

Visit site
I dont see why not :/ a horse is only wht you make of it at the end of the day, if you dont know any reason why you couldn't then go 4 it., ive just got an ex racer 4yo to bring on after having "push buttons" for years and he's coming on really well! :) If I can do it, any one can lol x

Walrus

Visit site
I got a young horse as my first horse. I'd ridden a wide range of horses including a few young ones for other people before but I'd never broken one in and I'd never had one as "my" project before. I think as long as you're honest about your ability (I bought a native with a quiet temperament - although he still has his moments) and you enlist the help of an experienced instructor. I am lucky as my YO nad her daughter are very experienced and have helped me no end. My intructor actually rides my boy for me about once a fornight and I have lessons once a fortnight as well. I think it's a much worse combination when people thinkg they know what they are doing and don't and wont ask for help.

Rachntabby

Visit site
you enlist the help of an experienced instructor.

probably should have mentioned that I would be having regular lessons :)

Hmm I got tabs when I was 12 and she is by no means a novice ride, I re-schooled her and she does pretty well :)
I guess I would be ok, would be weird looking after a horse after having a few years off but im sure I would get back into it very quickly :D

D66

Visit site
In addition to your riding ability and confidence level have a long hard look at your available facilities and sources of help and advice. It is very easy if it all goes well but a hiccup will become a problem or even an ingrained habit if not dealt with promptly.
Don't choose a horse that is likely to be difficult for your first attempt. It's great when it goes well.

Ladylina83

Visit site
I'm going to send Fitzy away to be broken who knows I might get to sit on him before he goes though if he turns out to be a good boy, then have lessons with that person weekly - I worry as Lina is not 100% sound and I have no saddle due to sticky fingers/crow bar that I might forget how to ride before he is 3!! :-0

miskettie

Visit site
The two times I have looked for horses I have always looked for older horses that have been there done that...yet somehow both times have ended up with 5 year olds. I wouldn't call myself a fantastic rider - I have mainly only done hacking, though have been doing it for ten years, so have the gist!

I think I am drawn to the idea with a young horse that everything you achieve you have achieved by learning together. However looking back to my first horse I bought, Ettie, I think I wasn't experienced enough and didn't have enough lessons to bring her on properly. She was a good hacking horse but never 'got' flatwork (partly because - neither did I!).

Having just bought another five year old I think now I am ready - I have a very good flatwork RI and also lots of people who will help me. My new horse is also a more sensible breed.

My advise would be, if you go for young horse make sure you have the time to bring them on and the patience. Also make sure you have people who will be able to help you.

Happy Hunter

Visit site
I have just brought on my own 1st "my" project - I didnt have much 'professional experience'
But had a good few rides and have been backing things with mum for years.
I passed my c+ Pony Club test!!! :D

its all about patience and having experienced people to hand.
I definatley think my lack of love for Dressage has rubbed off on my girl! :D

Booboos

Visit site
I can only speak for myself as I don't know your abilities and I don't want to sound rude, but personally I don't think I am up to starting a horse. The youngerst I have had is a 5 year old with 2 years experience in a professional yard and even then he was quite a challenge. I worked my way down to him, first horse was a 12 year old, then an 8 year old been-there-done-that competition horse, then a 6 year very easy temperament hack, then a 6 year old more sparky competition horse. If I hadn't had all those experiences I don't think I could have coped with the 5 year old. But as I say that's just me!

noblesteed

Visit site
I was fairly inexperienced when I bought my first horse, my current one, at 9 years old. I have had to, with lessons, sort out a whole load of issues with what should have been a ready-made horse. In hindsight I may as well have bought a youngster, as it took me 2 years to get him to where I wanted.

You go for it.

Tilda

Visit site
I echo what others have said about having experienced help but I think with this you will be able to do it easily from what you have said of your experience.

My girl was 6 when I bought her but very green as nothing had really been done with her since her backing at 4. I am by no means a brilliant rider (but apparently I have a good instinct for the horse!lol), had a 10 year break then owned a confidence giver for 18 months before I bought Tilly. I was fairly confident however I didn't have much experienced support behind me and I made some mistakes namely when she came off of 3 months box rest really only hacking her very fast with my friend and her crazy arab and this all ended in tears, a ride in an air ambulance and my very dented confidence.

However I now have experienced help in the shape of my Yard Managers and we are treating her like a 4 yo and she is coming on great. I do occasionally convince myself that I am ruining her because I deliberately didn't buy a 4 yo because I didn't have the experience but when I have these moments they make me get on and prove to me what I can do!

I would go for it and just think everything the horse achieves will be down to you :)

Rachntabby

Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys :)
As for my personality and attitude towards them, I am very patient and pretty determined when it comes to riding. I have a bit of a 'get on anything' attitude and I'm always put on the ones the others are scared of riding :D
I wasn't thinking on getting something very young, more like between 5-9 and I have a good 4 years before I get to think about that :p so hopefully my riding will have improved a bit more.

leflynn

Visit site
My first horse that I own is/was a 4 year old, I had a 4yo on loan for almost a year and he was lovely but I decided I wanted something with a bit of experience after being out of riding for over 10 yrs... epic fail and I bought a lovely 4yr old as his personality was lush and I *hoped* I wouldn't out horse myself, all I do know is worry constantly that I might ruin him (didn't ruin the loan horse as he's doing well atm), but all I want is to make him the best and keep his character - everyone eggs me on saying I'm perfect for him and I should stop being so worried!

Moral of the ramble is find the right horse and as long as you feel confident go for it :D Plus you'll learn and grow together with a youngun ;)