Ridgeback Question

BigRed

Visit site
I live in the sticks and have no close neighbours, I love my two whippets, but they don't exactly make you feel safe at night. My husband is working more night shifts and I am thinking of getting another dog, who has more guarding ability. I used to own a Doberman, and I loved her to bits, but she was a very wilful dog and needed a lot of exercise.

I find R Ridgebacks very attractive dogs, and I know they have good natural guarding abilities, but can any RR owners tell me more about their personalities as a breed (bitches).

amandathepanda

Visit site
A friend of mine breeds ridgebacks. Her bitches are beautiful! They seem quite intimidating when you walk in because they are big dogs with a big bark but once you get to know them they are big softies. They seem really cuddly & proper 'friends' but they can be cheeky, however the ones that I know are well trained & they know when they are pushing their luck! I think they need a decent amount of exercise, but you would expect that with any large breed. I'm seriously thinking about having one next time they breed another litter of pups
grin.gif

_Acolyte_

Visit site
Granted I am talking about dogs not bitches, but the only RRs I have known have been exceptionally wilful
grin.gif
They are also soppy as anything with their owners, and very good guard dogs. They bark loudly and look extremely intimidating, but if you are firm with them then they are very well behaved.

It is worth saying that the RR which comes onto the yard has bitten about 3 men who were strangers to the yard
crazy.gif
and also regularly disapears off across the fields after sheep
crazy.gif
He fights with any strange dog on the yard, but is also such a wimp that if you shout at him he stops fighting and runs away from you!

Coolspot

Visit site
We had a ridgeback when I was a child.
Amazing dogs. Bearing in mind there were 3 small children in the house (8,6 and 4) he never onced turned on any of us, even when we pretended that he was our pony!
That said, he would be very protective of us. Any strangers at the gate, including the postman and dustman, would have been very very brave to come through the gate!
He could take himself of for "little walks", jumping fences etc, but once he was neutered, he did stop that.
If I had a big enough house I wouldn't think twice about getting one.

_Acolyte_

Visit site
I think perhaps that is standard for guarding breeds? My mum bred boxers when we were small, and me and my sister could do anything with them and she knew that they would protect us to the death. She couldnt trust them with other children of our age though
crazy.gif

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
We have 2 neutered males and they are fantastic dogs. Like you we are quite rural. They are excellent guard dogs, and when anybody comes up the drive one will stand in front of the car and the other will stand at the drivers door and do look very menacing. Nobody seems to want to get out!
They are more likely to lick you to death when we are about though!
They are obedient and are big softies when we are about but are a bit more agressive as in barking and will snarl at strangers when we are not here which is exactly what we want.
We have 2 Yorkie dogs and since they were puppies they have stolen the RRs dinners! The cats are even boss of them. They are good with the horses and we also have a pet sheep they never bother with.
If you are wanting a loyal companion/guard dog then the RR is for you.
You may hear alot of bad press about them but I will always say it is the owners with the problems, not the dogs, it is the way they are brought up. If people allow they to chase sheep then they will always do it wont they. Discipline and training, it is the same for any dog.
I have a "friend" that also has 2 and they are permanently caged up and they are the nastiest dogs I know but I also know how they are kept and there is no surprise they are this nasty.
Go to a reputable breeder to get one though I would advise.
smile.gif

BigRed

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. MrsW, you are absolutely right, big dogs dogs need to be correctly trained and handled in order for everyone to be happy.

mattilda

Visit site
I have a RR and I love her. She is kept with 2 rotties and generally they get on really well. They are extremely territorial and will protect their owners and properties forever. However, you do need to be on top of them as regards training as they can and will take control if you let them. My girlie has never even thought about biting anyone although she is not good with samll children. I think that is more because she has not had any real contact with them though rather than an agression thing. She is great around the horses and cats.

houdini

Visit site
We have a RR and a whippet! They love each other! RR do need exercise and training like others have said but are loyal friendly family dogs. Ours loves people and likes nothing better than a cuddle on the sofa. She will bark loudly at 'strangers' and has the typical RR thing of grinning at people!! Lot of people are intimidated by this but it usually means she likes you!! Ours is excellent with other dogs horses kids etc. We have a litter planned to be ready at Easter....

Dogstar

Visit site
We have had two Ridgebacks, Reba and now Torwa who loves her Jack Russell pal Buzz; both very different but both wonderful, kind, sensitive and loving bitches. Fantastic guard dogs too, without being dangerous. Once you have had a Ridgeback you will never go back! They are like a 'dogplus'- they have a certain intensity, energy and athletisism somehow not found in other breeds.

KJJ

Visit site
I have a Ridgeback boy - a pleasure to own, loyal, big, soppy, loving, menacing to look at but wouldn't harm a fly a complete nut!!!

I myself have never had a dog before - so was a 'virgin' owner and he has been sssssoo easy to train.. he is the most loyal man ever.. everyone loves him.. people do cross the road when they see us coming as he is a BIG boy - at 10stone people don't want to mess.

Like someone above said he is more likely to lick you to death than anything else but people don't know that!!
wink.gif
haha

here are a few pics of my boy for you...

DSC02228.jpg

scoob.jpg

Shows his size!!
IlovemyBruv.jpg

Pals.jpg

Beatifulboys.jpg

Being silly!!
SILLYHOUND.jpg

5Snow.jpg

Dumbo.jpg

Phewf and one or two of him as an ickleboy!!
Resize5.jpg

Bite.jpg

Sharing.jpg