Riding a horse in an outline - different methods of asking...

Echo24

Visit site
I was also told to squeeze and release with hands to encourage a horse to soften into a contact. However I think I over thought it and hands were becoming a right mess! Instructor suggested forgetting about my hands, just keep them still and concentrate on getting the horse working uphill and with good impulsion. After 10 minutes the pony naturally softened and went into a lovely outline!

kerilli

Visit site
i think another factor nobody's mentioned is that some horses find it very easy, and others do not. not just from good training, although obv that's a big deal, some just soften easily at poll and jaw, others are more physically and/or mentally challenged/challenging.
some will also go into a pretty enough outline even when not truly working correctly through the body, but it's enough to keep a lot of riders (and perhaps some judges!) happy... whereas others are black/white and until their hindend is truly engaged and their back is swinging, you have no nice outline at all... they won't pretend, until they are totally there and connected.
the modern fixation with the head and neck drives me crackers... you can see someone doing a really horrible job on a horse, but if its neck is arched then lots of people seem to think they must be a fantastic rider... compared to someone on a horse going in true balance and swinging, but just not quite there yet... but because it's poking its nose a bit (which is NOT the biggest sin!) everyone seems to think they don't know what they're doing! a horse can be 'on the bit' without the face being perfectly vertical, let alone well behind the vertical... and the number of people who think that's desirable makes me despair!
btw my trainer HATES the word 'round', refuses to hear it in relation to outline. I think that's one of the big problems, inaccurate translations and misunderstandings. of course if you are looking for a 'round' outline, you could think a curved neck is the be-all-a-end-all... :( :( :(

The other issue is the idea that no youngster should be asked to work in an outline in balance etc - Of course they should. After all, it is easier to work correctly from the outset than to be allowed to work incorrectly then suddenly required to change.
ye-es... to a point. but what kind of 'outline' do you mean? because i know from experience that letting a horse, from backing onwards, work in nice balance to a light elastic contact UNTIL it happily WANTS to seek the hand and develops the correct outline, results in a horse who is VERY easy to get into a correct dressage outline, totally secure and light and easy for anyone. whereas i've seen and ridden quite a few who were asked into an 'outline' (i.e. not poking nose, to be as blunt as possible!) far too early and worked out all sorts of evasions because they found it difficult. when they're learning to rebalance themselves with a rider on, the last thing they need as an added complication is 'keep your nose in!' imho... but this is where 'outline' is such a vague term - there are a lot of different variations which are acceptable at different stages (as shown in pics above). 'in balance' - yes, definitely, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with outline (see Western horses etc).

Last edited:

Lolo

Visit site
I always interpreted 'not round' to mean that the arc from the hind end to the nose wasn't round but either inverted or a totally random squiggle- is that right?

kerilli

Visit site
I always interpreted 'not round' to mean that the arc from the hind end to the nose wasn't round but either inverted or a totally random squiggle- is that right?
Yes, but I think a lot of people don't really look at, or feel, what the hindquarters and the back are doing, to be blunt! I did say "you could think a curved neck is the be-all-and-end-all"... obv there are exceptions!

SpottedCat

Visit site
I mean that if you spend 3 years doing everything with no contact at all because it's a youngster it results in a horse with incorrect muscle development that often is on the forehand. Whereas if you have a light consistent contact from the outset, they learn to work over the back and never develop that inverted neck muscle.

I didn't say 'just backed' I said 'youngster' ;) - two different things ;) Of course they need to be ridden away and learn balance and forwards etc first, what I'm talking about is the idea that because they are young you should not touch the mouth/ask for any kind of engagement, but then suddenly when they are 6 (or whatever age!) they should work 'in an outline'. Quite rightly the horse has an opinion on that and it often isn't pretty!!

Lolo

Visit site
Yes, but I think a lot of people don't really look at, or feel, what the hindquarters and the back are doing, to be blunt! I did say "you could think a curved neck is the be-all-and-end-all"... obv there are exceptions!

I think I grasped what they meant quite quickly as horse's favoured method of going made him look like a llama on speed.

Which is a second point- I think once a horse has got to a certain age, the battle to get anything approaching appropriate work out of them is one you have to really decide whether you want to face. I spent 5 years on the horse I mentioned above struggling to get him to relax and soften over his back- not even come on the bit, but to just stop fighting. In the end, the only way I found was to give him virtually no contact and let him do what he liked. This took us from low 40% scores to late 50% (59.6% being our highest ever). We had regular lessons and everyone struggled as he'd been going in his way for 20 odd years and had adapted to it and found it comfortable...

TrasaM

Visit site
When we watch a horse running about in the field it does not need a rider on it's back pulling it into the correct shape, it does it all by itself. By logical extension if we then put a rider on and the horse no longer moves the same it seem obvious that the fault lies not with the horse but the person on it's back. Anyone who's ever given a child a piggy back will know how difficult it is to carry even a light weight when it's not balanced properly.
The horse does have to learn how to balance itself with a human on it's back but likewise the rider must be balanced or the horse will always have to work harder to compensate.
I ride a horse who is sensitive not just to how I'm balanced on his back and what my hands are doing but also to my moods and feelings. He is a wonderful teacher as he mirrors everything I do and feel when I ride him. I know that when things don't go right that it's not his fault but that I have messed up somewhere with my directions. I must try harder to be a better rider , he already knows how to be a horse.

kerilli

Visit site
I mean that if you spend 3 years doing everything with no contact at all because it's a youngster it results in a horse with incorrect muscle development that often is on the forehand. Whereas if you have a light consistent contact from the outset, they learn to work over the back and never develop that inverted neck muscle.

I didn't say 'just backed' I said 'youngster' ;) - two different things ;) Of course they need to be ridden away and learn balance and forwards etc first, what I'm talking about is the idea that because they are young you should not touch the mouth/ask for any kind of engagement, but then suddenly when they are 6 (or whatever age!) they should work 'in an outline'. Quite rightly the horse has an opinion on that and it often isn't pretty!!

Oh, I agree, absolutely. I misunderstood you, you said "from the outset" which I took to mean from the very beginning. fwiw I do see people trying to ride just backed horses in an outline - and if they offer it, fine, some horses do - it's the 'trying to force them into it so it becomes a habit' thing that grates on me.

SpottedCat

Visit site
My bad - should have worded it better ;)

Think the arguments start when the basic rules of politeness are bypassed and/or people assume
Something is meant rudely rather than my default which is to assume it isn't! ;)

Halfstep

Visit site
I see the problem being a lack of general equestrian knowledge among so many riders, especially in this country. This leads to extremes. there are those who misunderstand the requirements, and either pull a horse's head down artificially, or conversely are so terrified to touch the reins that the horse is out of balance permanently. Because contact IS a prerequisite, and a horse doesn't learn to use its body correctly under saddle without guidance from the rider, and that includes using the rein aids. However, if the rider isn't able to give this guidance, that is where the problems start. Lightness is the goal, but it isn't some sort of mystical nirvana.

If you look at the very good riders of this world, those who have near perfect seats and amazing feel (people like Ingrid Klimke, Uta Graf, Carl Hester, Mark Todd, Michael Eilberg), they are capable of sitting on the proverbial beach donkey, and make it look pretty good, on the bit and coming through from behind. Conversely, put an average rider on Totilas, Valegro, or Farouche, and chances are they'll not make it out of walk, and the walk will be going in all directions!

Burnttoast

Visit site
Sorry to take the discussion back a few pages but I've only just got here :) Re letting a horse slop along on no rein contact because it is "kinder" and the rider is not capable of riding with feel (I am generally with SC on this) - that's perhaps all right, up to a point, on a straight line, but once said rider wants to do pseudo-schooling it becomes a different matter. How many mystery leg injuries ("he must have done it in the field") are down to such a chronic lack of straightness that just one unfortunate tweak of the overloaded limb is enough to bring on serious injury? It does seem often the case that forelimb injuries correspond to the shoulder the horse prefers and is allowed to load.

For the record I don't like see-sawing either ;)

Caol Ila

Visit site
More out of curiosity than to start a debate. . .you said earlier, CI, that you leaned towards the "German" end of the training spectrum but that clip from Buck (who I think very highly off, for what that's worth) is positively "Baucherist"! ;)

The discussion of how Western horses vs dressage horses go is quite and interesting one but very difficult without having sat on both. It's true Western riders are not big on "contact" but they are big on "self carriage" and sometimes, quite frankly, go about getting what they want (correct or not) in ways that would cause the aforementioned hairs to stand on end.

Also, even very good Western horses do not have the SORT of power behind than dressage horses. It's not better or ŵorse, just not the same. While I think there are useful things to be learned from other schools of thought, it's not always easy to make direct comparisons, especially as the work becomes more advanced. I've made that mistake many times!!

As far as horses being a pleasure to ride, I'd say my personal experience is probably that all the various groups have similar percentages. I can say I've sat on some "good" - read successful - Western horses that were no pleasure to ride even if they weren't hard in the hand.

As a point, for dressage purposes yes, there are really only the two main schools of thought but, of course, there are other schools of riding - Caprilli/Italian military, English "hunting" seat, a couple of Western branches, American jumping style (mix of French, Hungarian and some English), and more I know nothing about - all of which have their own "rules" for riding the horse to the hand and how it's "best" for horses to go. I actually think some of the problems come from people chopping and changing, and leaving out big chunks of the system, as much as from people adhering too rigidly to one method. If, for example, a system is based on regular use of cavalletti then working the horse by the rules of that system on the flat but NOT using the cavalletti work will not produce the desired result. Systems are whole cloth and it takes time and experience to learn which bits can be swapped out into other systems without causing problems down the line.

All of which is in no way pertinent to the OP. :). See sawing is bad. It's bad because it doesn't do any of the things anyone really wants or needs to do to get a horse working correctly in any proven school. Bend/counter bend exercises are a different issue but again, if all anyone sees/wants is the head going back and forth they are missing the point.

Re successful riders' methods . . .some very good riders do some things wrong. They get away with it - if they do - because they do other things well enough (or so well) that they make up for what isn't so good. That doesn't make that wrong bit good practice or indeed, even an option for the rest of us mere mortals.

One point that hasn't been given enough press on this thread, if you ask me (which no one has but that's the beauty of Internet forums) is that it's actually the rider's job to "shape" the horse with their WHOLE way of riding, not just by doing x with the leg and y with the hand. That includes sitting in such a way that the soft rounded back has a space to come in to (even if that's metaphorical) which doesn't mean a light seat (although that may be the starting point) as that decreases connection. It means having the thigh relaxed enough not to block but toned enough to be used to shape turns etc. It means enough contact to receive but not so much as to constrict . . . . .blah blah blah.

Yes, you're right... I think both approaches are good and I essentially want to be adaptable, as all horses are different. I suppose I got into the German approach because it was so effective for my horse, who is a Shire-TBX. She's a tad long -- not horrendous, but slightly longer than is perfectly ideal for dressage. Her neck ties into her body closer the thoroughbred horizontal, rather than on the more elevated Shire side of things. She also has a huge stride and lots of power and when I first bought her, she leaned like a freight train, due to her conformation and shight training, as all that power was being driven down onto the forehand. Really pushing her forward so those hind legs started carrying the weight did wonders for her. If I had something like an Iberian horse, with a very different conformation, I don't know that I would use this exact approach.

I also do softening exercises, like what Buck was talking about in that video, from a standstill. Because I've found it helpful and also because the trainer who taught me how to start youngsters and work out problems was a student of Buck's and I did, and do, like this approach.

As someone else said, some horses will find these things easier than others. My first horse was a QH, thick neck, thick through the throatlatch, and typical shuffley quarter horse movement with no real power behind or "space" in her gait. This horse was not going to be a dressage horse. Unsurprisingly, she hated it because she found it hard. She worked okay up to US Training and First level (kind of -- no lengthening to speak of on that horse) but no chance at Second, as she lacked the flexibility to easily do shoulder-ins, travers, and so on, and because of the way she was built, she wasn't ever going to really get it. The Shire-X, while not anyone's Grand Prix prospect, works quite happily to medium level or so and she doesn't find it physically hard, so she's not as resistant as the QH was.

I only brought up Western riding as a comparison, to show that you don't *need* to work your horse in an outline with lots of impulsion for it to have a long, sound, working life. Ranch horses don't move in the same way as dressage horses, but then, chasing cows in a dressage frame would look pretty silly.

What I see, just amateur observations of what is often around me at small livery yards, is a lack of rider education. People don't know what they don't know. And because many of them don't know that they don't know and that there is indeed stuff to know, they're not actively seeking such knowledge out.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I would say that last paragraph applies to horses, too! Re the earlier discussion about having to fight long and hard to change an older horse's way of going, I would have to disagree - there may have to be some initial discussion but one of the things I love about retraining is the feeling when the horse starts to understand how to make things easier and more comfortable on its own and to actively seek that next step in the process. Magic.

I think that's a big part of it for people, too. If you've ever sat on a horse going really well, even at a very basic level it will ruin your life because you'll never be happy with anything else again. ;)

That's what I don't understand about people being reluctant to have an instructor or similar sit on their horse - why would you not want a glimpse into the future for the rider AND the horse? How do you have a successful treasure hunt if you don't know what you hope to find?

Caol Ila

Visit site
I'd agree with that TarrSteps, and would add that one of my pet theories is that horses are often more adaptable than their riders. It is easier to change a horse's bad habits than its rider's. The horse naturally follows the path of least resistance and seeks cooperation, or at least comfort and safety, and he will adapt to his environment (or rider) in order to do so. In my experience, horses (and other animals) seem less likely than humans to keep repeating behaviour that doesn't work (obviously there are exceptions, usually caused by stress). Humans really do have a penchant for endlessly repeating maladative behaviour!

Therefore if you can show a horse that when he does what you want, he gets praised and gets to relax and the pressure goes away, he's much more likely to be eager to please. On the flip side, they learn unwanted behaviours just as easily.

Back when I was teaching, I once asked a student, "You've been trying to get him into a outline by hanging on the inside rein for months and he's still resistant and behind the leg. What makes you think it's going to start working now?" When the horse was ridden differently, the resistance melted away. I have found this with my own horse. When I change a small part of the way I ride, she changes. She's not so stuck in her bad habits.

To anyone thinking about taking a Centred Riding lesson, I would recommend it. If you can even make a small, positive change in your riding, it might make a huge difference to your horse.

kerilli

Visit site
Caol Ila, I see your point, BUT, on the flip side (and this was taught to me by my trainer, who is mega-experienced - was trained by Neindorff - and very patient) sometimes you have to 'just repeat' until it works. i needed someone with a great eye (him!) to stand there for hours, patiently telling me when it started working (because at first i really couldn't feel it) until the feeling got clear/good enough for me to have an 'AHA' moment. changing something before then would have just confused the horse, a stronger aid, adding whip, whatever, becomes a different question, no?
it is human nature, with most things in life, to keep changing something until you get the result you want. to a horse, this might feel like 10 different aids that were all actually supposed to be the same question - but, perhaps because the rider isn't as in control of his/her body as he thinks, or was trying stronger, harder, more seat bone, more angle, more spur, flick with whip, turn shoulders, more bend to get what they wanted, so they ended up giving 10 different versions of what they thought clearly meant x. Then you get a confused horse who GUESSED and offered something... which was the wrong thing, and was then punished... which leads to resistance and resentment. there's a huge difference between a horse saying 'stuff you, i won't do that' and 'this is what you mean, yes?' realising that was a huge lightbulb moment for me. if a youngster offers me, say, rein back when i'm asking for turn on the haunches, i smile, pat it, check my position, try again. years ago i would have said "NO" and assumed it was being disobedient. huge difference.
i hope that makes sense.
there's a time for changing things, and also a time for making sure you are asking just as you intend (so, if something doesn't work, i always try to check myself first), and waiting for the horse to realise that that means x...

Visit site
I ride alot with my legs and seat. Sending the horse forward. Once forward motion has engaged then I gently squeeze one rein, then the other to encourage a correct outline. Once there the hands stay still with a light contact. I generally ride with quite long reins and I never rush a horse or pony.

Each and everyone of them is different and they all have their own individual outlines - some a little longer, some lower, some more in, some more out. The trick is knowing what your horses natural outline is and guiding them into it.

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Can I ask a question? For those in the 'ask repeatedly whenever head comes up, otherwise on almost non-existent contact' camp - how do you ask for collection/extension like that? How do you get the horse to stretch down - is that just what happens when you stop niggling with your hands?

Kadastorm

Visit site
this is an interesting topic, im currently teaching our younger students to start to work the horses correctly.
i have been doing this over the past couple of months, starting with keeping a consistant rein contact and encouraging the horses to move forwards into it. i have then taught them how to gently ask the horses to bend, firstly to the outside, then straight, then to the inside, then straight again. (i get them to do this while maintaining impulsion and using the legs to ask for a bend whilst moving forwards) This is to get the horses to loosen through their head and neck and allow them to relax through their back.
Once they have done this, i get them to come onto a 20m circle and ask for an inside bend while maintaining a good contact and rythmn, then ask them to half halt to get the horse to listen and move from his hind quarters rather than leaning and running on the forehand. i do this mainly in trot and canter, once they feel the difference and understand what they are looking for i send them away to practise, using transitions, school movements etc. Our horses really respond to a consistant rein contact and the half halt.

Each horse is different though, the above may work for one horse but not for another. i am able to adjust depending on the horse i ride.

Visit site
This is an area I like to cover, :)

Best ways:

- Jiggle (GENTLY) the reins.
- Sponge.
- Thumbs on top, tilt your hands.

However, the pony MUST be going foward first! :)

MeandChowie-SouthofEngland.jpg

MeandFinnie-EO.jpg

MeandChowie-roundacorner.jpg

kerilli

Visit site
But if you 'jiggle' the reins, how can the horse go forward to a consistent contact? Surely you need to keep 1 hand still (in relation to the horse's mouth) so the horse always has that contact to trust and go forwards to? Not criticising, genuinely asking.

twinkle_toes

Visit site
TBH I think people over think it and complicate it way too much. Surely you should just maintain a steady contact on the outside rein and ask for inside bend and as long as the horse is stepping through properly it'll take the contact!? I think people make it harder than it actually is!

tristar

Visit site
twinkle toes says it gets made too complicated, i would like add i think its also sounds like it becomes too much about effort and doing this and that when i personally find its more about what you don't do and the last thing i am using is my hands, in fact i find softening the hands has a better result.

its curious how the debate centres around the use of the hand.

kerilli

Visit site
TBH I think people over think it and complicate it way too much. Surely you should just maintain a steady contact on the outside rein and ask for inside bend and as long as the horse is stepping through properly it'll take the contact!? I think people make it harder than it actually is!

Hmm, but my trainer, and therefore I, would totally disagree with even that... we aim to keep the elastic steady contact on the inside rein, allowing and half-halting with the outside rein. the inside hand, like the outside leg, is essentially passive, 'there' but not being used actively for the most part, while the inside leg is active when necessary, and being used to push the horse into the outside rein, which is the influential one. This way you get a straight horse, working from inside leg to outside rein, and the horses learn to trust and go forward to the inside rein.

Re: tristar saying "it's curious how this debate centres around the use of the hand".
Well, you can either see that as being good, because we're all taking as read that the legs and seat should be used, and that inside leg in particular should be working to engage the horse...
Or
You can despair that, as we are essentially primates who grab things with their hands, that will almost invariably be our overriding instinct, and the reason we fixate so much on hand aids and control/influence with the hands!

TrasaM

Visit site
Xenophon (400 bc)
If we want to have a war horse that attracts people's attention with it's magnificent paces, it is important to avoid pulling on the mouth with the brake and using the spur and the whip, by which most people imagine they can make a horse brilliant.......but if we learn to ride our horses with the curb loose, to lift the neck by rounding from the head, we can indeed make it do things happily and proudly.

Quote from. Philippe Karls. Twisted Truth of Modern Dressage

2412 years on and still valid advice.