Riding a pony in side reins...

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Now, maybe its me but I always thought it was a no no - due to the fact that it is interfering with the rider to a degree.

Am I right? And if so how happy would you be if someone was riding one of yours in them? Would it depend on the circumstances? What about for a kids pony??

Clare85

Visit site
Now, maybe its me but I always thought it was a no no - due to the fact that it is interfering with the rider to a degree.

Am I right? And if so how happy would you be if someone was riding one of yours in them? Would it depend on the circumstances? What about for a kids pony??

I would be furious - in any circumstances.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
For me it would depend why. I re schooled a horse once who's evasion was to bend their neck to your knee and bog off out the shoulder when that happened couldn't do much really. So I put a loose side rein on one side (she used to bend the neck same way each time) which when she was working properly it didn't do anything but would stop her getting the neck round. Think I only had to use it a couple of times and then never had the issue again after that.

Shay

Visit site
Side reins - no. But some kids ponies (especially with the really tinies) do need daisy or grass reins. Grass reins run from the bit to the saddle and can look like side reins for a moment - but they are fitted differently. But no pony (or horse) should be ridden in something without the owners express consent.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
No.

However, for a tiny child coming off lead for the first few times, sometimes side reins on pony are a better option than daisy rein for a ONE-OFF occasion.

I have done this a few times in the past, usually at the end of a lunge lesson with pony/rider, just to let them walk & have a small trot in an enclosed area. This was for a safety aspect, both pony & rider being 'secure' but under control.
Would then progress next time, to daisy rein if doing any more than a couple of circuits on each rein, but never would use them as 'the norm'.

I used to back & produce a large number of childrens ponies and using sidereins didn't feature much at all (I prefer long reins) but sometimes you do have to work outside the box to suit each individual.

As I said above tho, wouldn't use them at all as a regular thing, I would look to be putting pony back in long reins, or to get the child going better - both issues are ones to look to, rather than slapping sidereins on for a quick fix, which doesn't resolve the underlying problem as to why they might be used in the 1st place, IMHO :)

Edited to add: I have also dragged out a Market Harboro for a bigger pony with a child, only due to pony leaning and growing child not having core strength to keep pony from doing the 'lean'. Again, its a short term aid, with me preferring to resolve ponies issues from good groundwork.
Ponies are not all made perfect and you do need to think about adapting your methods to suit each one :)

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I've ridden at various trekking centres where the naughtiest ponies who put their heads down to graze will have loose side reins fitted to prevent this, they don't interfere with the pony walking along at all only if it tries to get it's head to the floor. I wouldn't mind someone riding mine in side reins for this reason, I'd object if the side reins were fitted tight though.

Orca

Visit site
No, never. If I wanted a nice shape, it came from behind and I had to work for it. By my third horse I had eventually sussed it! I remember asking my parents about this apparently magic contraption - and was shot down.

For safety, my first few equines wore running martingales. There have been some good points made about the validity of side rein use under certain circumstances (by adults) but generally, no and it's definitely a piece of tack that should be used according only to the owners discretion. I'd be livid if someone slapped them on mine without reason or permission.

Fiona

Visit site
On a small pony to stop them eating grass yes, though wd rather have grass reins as pony can move head side to side more freely.

On a larger pony to make it go in a certain shape - no way...

Fiona

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Yes on a small pony as grass reins, long enough to have no other control on the horses head position. To get pony in the correct position, no.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Cheers folks. Confirming what I did think. I can't tell from what I saw if it is to get into outline or to stop a behaviour. Pony does look to be going better with them on though and in the past has had a habit of always having a look see at whoever else in in the school.
It is not a big pony, a small childs with a small child rider.
It doesn't seem to be hindering his way of going or be tight/takign away from the reins and where pony is there are some quite experienced people, pony is in the local PC.

I didn't want to mention it to them if there was maybe a valid reason (yes I know I need to ask to discover that, catch 22!). Will put my adult pants on and go ask them!

Equi

Visit site
I would never let it happen ever. If they fall they have no way of correcting themselves. I only ever use side reins on the lunge, and only if there are no poles down.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Last time I saw a kid (12yo) ride with side reins, rider ended up trapped between pony (on its back) and side of school. Side reins were tight (her instructor got her to do it in a lesson, kid thought she'd carry on doing it outside of lesson). Pony was a complete saint who didnt panic while we hauled kid out and undid tack so she could get herself back up. Side reins were recommended by 'dressage' rider to get pony in an outline.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Cheers folks. Confirming what I did think. I can't tell from what I saw if it is to get into outline or to stop a behaviour. Pony does look to be going better with them on though and in the past has had a habit of always having a look see at whoever else in in the school.
It is not a big pony, a small childs with a small child rider.
It doesn't seem to be hindering his way of going or be tight/takign away from the reins and where pony is there are some quite experienced people, pony is in the local PC.

I didn't want to mention it to them if there was maybe a valid reason (yes I know I need to ask to discover that, catch 22!). Will put my adult pants on and go ask them!

Why don't you leave them alone , it's a common enough done thing .

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Why don't you leave them alone , it's a common enough done thing .

because its my pony. It is out on loan to someone. I saw something that I was not 100% sure of, and as I said, was of the opinion was not the done thing. If I did just ignore it, and something happened I would be slated for not paying enough attention. I am not an interfering owner by any means, I let them do their thing but when it could boil down to something that would put pony in a compromised position safety wise then I think I may not be able to leave them alone.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Oh missed that ,
Honestly my friends pony hunted with here four year old on board in a set of loose side reins I really would not worry .

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Being ridden in side reins gets a big no-no from me. What if the pony bends down to rub its nose on its knee, and gets a foot over the side reins? (I've had that happen to a horse I was lunging).

Grass reins on the other hand would be ok.

Whilst they dont interfere with steering, i would say there is more contact there than grass reins would have - i assume they kick in if pony tries to go for grass etc so should not be causing a contact.

Llanali

Visit site
I'm with Fiona and others, I wouldn't mind for a small pony and small child as grass type reins but no for a bigger pony as an aid to tuck the head in.

I would and probably will use loose ones on our little girls pony, when on the lead rein. He's a gannet and I don't own grass reins.

Fiona

Visit site
I'm with Fiona and others, I wouldn't mind for a small pony and small child as grass type reins but no for a bigger pony as an aid to tuck the head in.

I would and probably will use loose ones on our little girls pony, when on the lead rein. He's a gannet and I don't own grass reins.

We made ours :) Fine dark coloured rope and two clips. Look very discrete and much nicer than bought ones which normally have a buckle in the middle and swing side to side as you trot...

Fiona

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

No they are not designed to be ridden in. If you want a gadget then buy one to be ridden in, I have seen a horse rear almost over backwards when ridden in side reins.

minesadouble

Visit site
Totally dangerous, if pony trips they cannot stretch out to rebalance and may fall.

Same could be said of a Standing martingale surely???

OP same as many on here I use on LR ponies, either for groundwork or with tiny tot on board. As long as they are not used to tightly tie a pony into an outline they are fine. Most LR show ponies are worked in with them.

Llanali

Visit site
I wouldn't just slap them on with a child on board without checking that pony was accustomed to them, and I'm not in the habit of strapping horses in like carousel rides.