Riding abroad is it safe ? Sister being difficult!

Mary3050

Visit site
Hi Guys,

Really starting to wonder Why I bother with the family and horses . We had booked a family holiday to Spain with my niece who also rides. We are both disabled her more than me but very very competent. We both said how we would like to get some riding in whilst there . My niece said she need to as has a big competition 3 weeks after getting back . So we did some research and found a nice riding school near by more importantly it’s run by a British family and they have a disabled riding club !

I have emailed several times they seem really well run and are happy to accommodate me and my niece . Yay amazing we are both very excited !

This was until my sister started making a massive fuss . She originally said that she is paying for my niece to go and doesn’t want the holiday to be taken over by horse ! I said that I will pay for her to ride as a treat and we would go early morning so be back to do all the family stuff . She said fine . I also pointed out that her and her other daughter have a spa afternoon booked which isn’t something we want to do and the men have golf booked for a day ! So would be ideal to go riding that same afternoon

Then she told my niece she isn’t gonna have case room to put her riding stuff in we aren’t taking hats and only short boots . Now she say we won’t be insured/it may not be safe .

My niece is said and really wants to go. I am annoyed because I can’t really go leaving my niece !

Surly places abroad are safe to ride they do riding holiday too . Is my sister right ? I have ridden abroad when younger and always been fine !

Leandy

Visit site
If this is a properly regulated and reputable riding school in Spain then I'd imagine you will both be fine. Of course if you get there and aren't happy with the safety standards then you can just turn round and leave! It isn't mandatory if you don't like what you see. On insurance though, it may well be that the travel insurance you and your niece have doesn't cover riding. Have you checked that because it is a good point in case you do have an accident?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've ridden abroad several times and the annual insurance policies I had covered basic riding, some things were excluded though, jumping, competitive, hunting and racing and extra premiums for polo and polocross. If you look at the policy, there will be a list of activities covered and those that you can add on if needed

Cedertree and AXA cover horse riding if you're looking.

I've always taken my own hat as wouldn't want to rely on finding one that fitted and felt comfortable.

Skib

sites.google.com
I would check your insurance. The insurance used by OH and me was fine for trail riding as we travelled through the USA but did not cover jumping, competing nor riding holidays.

Pippity

Visit site
My sailing insurance policy covers non-competitive horse riding, so I think you'll probably be okay. (Weirdly, the policy one step down from mine covers pony trekking but not horse trekking! They clearly don't know that ponies are far more dangerous than horses.)

I've ridden abroad a few times, but have been pretty picky about the establishments. I've generally found they're a bit more rough and ready than British places, but I've always made sure the horses and tack are in good condition and have walked away on the one occasion they weren't. I thought they were a bit slapdash about making sure helmets fitted (pointed you at the wall of helmets and said, "Find one that fits.") but then I took my nieces to a very well respected local riding school and the helmet selection was exactly the same.

Does the school have a website/FB page with photos of lessons, etc.? If it does, that'll give you an idea of what they're like.

I rarely bother taking my own hat unless I'm going specifically to ride, rather than riding as part of a longer holiday. I've got a ten-day riding trip planned next year. Even for that, I doubt I'll be taking my own hat, because it's part of a two-month trip, two weeks of it on a tall ship with limited stowage. If I was just going to be riding for a few hours, I certainly wouldn't bother.

I suspect your sister's just being a combination of non-horsey and over-protective parent.

criso

Visit site
My sailing insurance policy covers non-competitive horse riding, so I think you'll probably be okay. (Weirdly, the policy one step down from mine covers pony trekking but not horse trekking! They clearly don't know that ponies are far more dangerous than horses.)

I checked mine and it says pony trekking and horse riding, pony trekking is a known term regardless of the size of the mount.

It also covers elephant treks and camels with an exclusion on public liability for camels.

Also interesting the sports that unlike riding require additional cover such as non competitive marathon running, field hockey and gymnastics.

ihatework

Visit site
Well when you get there you are experienced enough to assess the set up and safety. It’s novice/non riders that cannot assess that.

You can ask what hat standards are available and as long as you are ok with icky sharing I don’t see that as a major issue.

Insurance wise check your policy. You can always add a bolt on if needed.

But you have an English speaking stables with a disabled division, I don’t see a great deal of extra added risk. You can always pull out if it’s not what you expect when you get there.

criso

Visit site
It specifically lists pony trekking as covered and horse trekking as excluded.

How odd given that pony trekking is an English term so would not be used in other countries never mind different definitions of horses and ponies..

So would I be covered if I went to somewhere that described itself as a pony trekking centre but was mounted on a 14 3 or if I rode in Iceland where they are called horses despite being pony sized.

If I went to the USA and trail riding, would they be asking the height in the event of an accident.

Jumoro

Visit site
I've ridden abroad a few times, including in Spain. Unless I was confident that the riding centre was able to supply a decent hat I've taken my own (as carry on). Generally everything has been fine and the riding has been great. I have had one bad experience - one centre took rides to a public beach for a flat out uncontrolled gallop gentle canter in the same place on a regular basis - and I have refused to ride once when I had safety concerns. I think you just need to keep your eyes open and be prepared to walk away if you are not happy.

sunnyone

Visit site
As somebody who had their horses on livery in Spain for nearly 6 months: the Spanish typically wear cowboy style hats as opposed to helmets, sunburn is an immediate problem to avoid. Their saddles have a much deeper seat which the rider is very unlikely to fall out of if not jumping. Also the saddle fit is different in that it fits numerous horses. Stirrups also tend to be western style, so fairly forgiving of foot position. Falling off is rare, I can't recall any ridden accidents whilst I was at the yard but maybe a fellow livery slipping and spraining his wrist on the tiles that were used in the grooming area counts?

Since the centre Mary3050 is going to is British owned I would have every confidence in it regarding horses/ tack and rider compatability..They will have taken every measure to protect the horses from flies etc.and early morning is the right time to avoid the heat of the coming day..
The norm for any time of the year in Spain is to ride as early as you can, but no later than noon or after 6 p.m. Siesta is important, residential complexes even forbid use of their pools during siesta as swimming is too noisy! Obviously holiday complexes are different but that's because the holiday traveller can't be expected to learn such niceties in the timescale, however nobody in their right mind would agree to horses being ridden then during summer. Grooms need a siesta too!

If there really is a luggage issue I'd take a hat stuffed with clothing and get a pair of cheap boots at Decathlon. Nearly every town has a Decathlon and they are open every day.. The cheapest boots only cost 12 euro, so could be abandoned after the last ride.. Perhaps the centre might welcome these to offer to ill shod customers..

Travel insurance should cover short rides such as you OP are proposing (you aren't going off for days at a time into unmarked mountain trails) and the GHIC (previously E111 then EHIC) will also give emergency medical cover.

Sadly I think, Mary3050, that the real problem is that your sister feels that she is somehow being sidelined and is not the one in control. Other than suggesting you plan an activity to do with her I can't help further but really hope you all have a great time.

Cloball

Visit site
I've ridden a fair bit in Spain as a tourist and an an employee and never really felt any less safe than the UK. The yard I worked on the school ponies they used for camp had a lovely life in a little herd living out in old fashioned meadows 24/7. Fair nicer tack and management than some yards Ive been to here. Most insurance policies I've had have covered general riding, I did find it funny that the 'pony trekking' I did in Mongolia, by far the most challenging riding I've ever done, was fine but polocrosse wasn't.

Jenko109

Visit site
I rode in Grand Canaria a few times and the school horses were well looked after with decent tack. It was some of the livery horses which were stabled there which looked a bit ropey. Likewise, I felt perfectly safe riding and was lucky enough to hack out on their Andalusian stallion.

I also rode in Dominican Republic which was a whole other kettle of fish! Horses and tack condition was acceptable but the horses weren't so ammenable and were clearly too used to just following each other. Had a battle of wills on my mount for a minute of two convincing him to come away from the herd with him rearing like a moron with the ride leaders yelling 'ye-hah!' like it was perfectly normal. Once we got a handle on each other though, he was lovely and we had some nice canters alone up the beach as everyone else on the ride were beginners. All the horses were ridden in shank bits which for someone who can ride isnt so bad as you dont use your horses mouth to balance. They must have had a rough time with some of the beginners though.

norolim

Visit site
I've ridden at a British run riding school in Spain. Took my own hat and boots, had appropriate insurance. It was well run, horses were well cared for and responsive, tack in excellent condition and I was confident in the instruction there. I'd say if you can take your own hat, have appropriate insurance and are happy with the standards of the school, go for it!

Starzaan

Visit site
I have been lucky enough to ride and work with horses all over the world. As long as you aren't a moron, and can tell a well run yard and well cared for horses, you'll be fine. It's no different to riding here - don't think it looks good, don't ride. Make sure you have insurance, and if you ride with a hat, take your own hat. But other than that, crack on!