Riding after a broken ankle!

Jessicas1234

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone
I broke my ankle 3 months ago and needed surgery after my horse fell and landed on me. I’m now walking and doing physio once a week, exercises every day etc.
But I have tried riding again, and my ankle really hurts when it’s in the stirrup. Has anyone experienced something similar? Are there certain exercises that might help? Or any tips or tricks for getting back in the saddle with less pain?
Thanks

Michen

Visit site
I went swimming lots and that helped. I did also start riding very very early (silly) but it really got my ankle moving and meant I was skiing 3 months post surgery with no problems.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes, I bandaged under the boot, used a larger, zipped boot, then Vet Wrap firmly over the top. It was ligaments not a break, but it was non weight bearing. With that lot on, I continued to ride even when I needed crutches to walk, it was like having a cast on.

Michen

Visit site
Yes, I bandaged under the boot, used a larger, zipped boot, then Vet Wrap firmly over the top. It was ligaments not a break, but it was non weight bearing. With that lot on, I continued to ride even when I needed crutches to walk, it was like having a cast on.

Oh yes I forgot vet wrap! It was the best thing I used. Hunting 5 weeks post op and firmly vet wrapped in ?‍♀️

Very stupid in hindsight but did help recover quicker.
FA9CA471-B188-44F5-A450-034F929711A5.jpeg

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Oh yes I forgot vet wrap! It was the best thing I used. Hunting 5 weeks post op and firmly vet wrapped in ?‍♀️

Very stupid in hindsight but did help recover quicker.
View attachment 73890

Haha, I managed to source some black Vetwrap, good job as I was doing BE100 with an inexperienced horse :p . I did have to purchase some XL men's stirrups though, the sort that rotate through 90 degrees, because my foot was so immobile, if I had lost the stirrup, I would have needed to pull up and manually place it back in, but with the rotated XL stirrups, I *could* just about have managed to get it back en route.

I too was silly. But, when you have trained and got one to a point, it is tricky to stop!

paddy555

Visit site
an ankle brace securely bandaged on, then an ankle boot for more support (mine were mountain horse) that way the ankle is totally secure and supported. Then lower you stirrups (or at least the one) and stick to a walk. The movement of walk is the best physio ever it gently moves the ankle. As it improve shorten the stirrup to increase the physio effect of walking. Stick to walk for quite a while.

I was silly as well but even I found I couldn't ride when I had the air walker on so I bought the ankle brace to speed up the return to riding.

Michen

Visit site
Haha, I managed to source some black Vetwrap, good job as I was doing BE100 with an inexperienced horse :p . I did have to purchase some XL men's stirrups though, the sort that rotate through 90 degrees, because my foot was so immobile, if I had lost the stirrup, I would have needed to pull up and manually place it back in, but with the rotated XL stirrups, I *could* just about have managed to get it back en route.

I too was silly. But, when you have trained and got one to a point, it is tricky to stop!

Hehe. Horsey people don’t really comprehend being sensible!

I too couldn’t walk but was riding. I would take my moon boot off and put my riding boots ensemble on, vet wrap up and then lead Bog whilst hopping to the mounting block. Which I would then crawl up.

What on earth was I thinking ?

Michen

Visit site
an ankle brace securely bandaged on, then an ankle boot for more support (mine were mountain horse) that way the ankle is totally secure and supported. Then lower you stirrups (or at least the one) and stick to a walk. The movement of walk is the best physio ever it gently moves the ankle. As it improve shorten the stirrup to increase the physio effect of walking. Stick to walk for quite a while.

I was silly as well but even I found I couldn't ride when I had the air walker on so I bought the ankle brace to speed up the return to riding.

No the air Walker scratches the saddle!! Have to take it off and hop to get on.

View

Visit site
I found the Sprenger flexy type helped. Experiment with different footbed widths and stirrup lengths. Once horse warmed up, no stirrups work helped to loosen my ankle up and regain mobility.

And the exercise standing on the edge of a step lowering and raising your heels from the step height.

And walking - lots of walking over forest paths really helped.

Billyandme

Visit site
Really depends on so many factots I'm afraid. Your age, general fitness and true necessity to get back in the saddle. I broke my ankle 12 months ago when my horse came down on top of me whilst leading him to his field. My ankle is held together with titanium plate and screws. I was 65 when this happened. I really stuck to the Surgeon and physiotherapist 's advice. I am now gently hacking a lovely quiet horse 3 times a week. I know that at my age the chances of another bad fall would be catastrophic to my ankle and I no longer have the need to do anything more exciting. I had worked in the NHS for over 40 years so know only too well that Surgeons give you advice not to be spoilsport but to ensure a successful outcome for many years ahead.

coblets

Visit site
I started off with just riding stirrupless, or riding until the ankle hurt, and then giving it a break. Walking will be very helpful in strengthening it though.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
I bought some sprenger stirrups that flex and that helped a lot had to use short boots and chaps for quite awhile as long boots would make my ankle worse. I was pin and plated. Had 9 months off riding but once I started again I didn’t have too much trouble.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
4 years on mine can ache when I get off but Im not overly troubled with it riding..This might sound daft but if I was standing waiting for any reason I practised raising myself up onto tip toes first with both feet at the same time then alternating left foot only and right foot. It was difficult on the damaged ankle at first..I couldn’t lift myself..was wobbly..but eventually I could lift myself on the damaged side.
Three months isn’t very long..new bone is still growing and hardening and scar tissue does build up. Frustratingly for you I think it’s still early days and you are still healing…but I’m sending vibes that you heal well.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I broke my ankle and tore ligaments many months ago, and finally had my first sit on my pony yesterday!?
When I broke my other ankle previously, I found riding boots with a steel shank (Mountain Horse) helped, and also flexi stirrups. I hope you find a way to ride without too much pain.

littleshetland

Visit site
I completely smashed my ankle 5 years ago...a nasty compound break, so Ive got lots of plates and pins in there now. My ankle looks more like a fetlock joint than an ankle now! I got back in the saddle after 12 weeks. I took pain killers to help with riding at first and gradually as things healed and strengthend up I would say I'm 'even' on both sides now.....no painkillers required. I still have a bit of trouble dismounting - I have to sort of fling myself forward, clinging on with both arms round the horses neck and lower myself down making sure I land on my 'good' foot first. Luckily my horses have become used to this and wait patiently while I clamber down....bless them, but other than that, I'm pretty much back to normal.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Hi everyone
I broke my ankle 3 months ago and needed surgery after my horse fell and landed on me. I’m now walking and doing physio once a week, exercises every day etc.
But I have tried riding again, and my ankle really hurts when it’s in the stirrup. Has anyone experienced something similar? Are there certain exercises that might help? Or any tips or tricks for getting back in the saddle with less pain?
Thanks

I got flexible stirrups, which helped. I also used a mounting block to dismount, as well as mount.

Skib

sites.google.com
There are NHS ankle exercises on line and I bought a stretch exercise band needed for some of them.
I broke my ankle and the break just snapped off the tip of one bone. Consultant told me it would remain broken off like this. It does hurt slightly, most of the time but not while I am riding.

Experimenting now as I type, I find it stops hurting if I lift my toes. So when riding with the stirrup just on the ball of my foot, my ankle drops and the everything is fine. I have Sprenger stirrups which reduce the pressure and I like to ride with them quite long, even when hacking. If one loses weight, ones legs drop further and one needs to lengthen one's stirrups.
But I have never ridden in wide tread stirrups. If I fall off, I really want to fall free of the horse.

You are right to do your physio and to continue with it. When I returned to riding after Covid lock down both my ankles were falling over sideways. I did the ankle exercises and tried to lose my Covid weight gain. And 2 months later my riding life is back to normal.
However, I am an older woman and my middle aged daughter is a hospital surgeon. I would neve ever go against medical advice and in the past even left off riding for another 2 weeks. Giving it an 8 week break instead of the regulation 6.

saddlesore

Visit site
I’ve broken the same one 3 times ?‍♀️?‍♀️ Basically strap it up as much as you can and avoid rising trot for a while! I also use freejump as they are angled and allow me to take my stirrups back if I take my feet out as my ankle is pretty much buggered now and won’t turn.

mini_b

Visit site
I’ve broken the same one 3 times ?‍♀️?‍♀️ Basically strap it up as much as you can and avoid rising trot for a while! I also use freejump as they are angled and allow me to take my stirrups back if I take my feet out as my ankle is pretty much buggered now and won’t turn.

im worried I’m going to be a repeat breaker ??‍♀
I’m laid in hospital as i type!!

paddy555

Visit site
I got flexible stirrups, which helped. I also used a mounting block to dismount, as well as mount.

definitely plan the getting off bit. This is the most dangerous if the horse should move or you land badly. Even consider someone to hold the horse by the mounting block to start with.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
definitely plan the getting off bit. This is the most dangerous if the horse should move or you land badly. Even consider someone to hold the horse by the mounting block to start with.

It was hilarious! My friend was somewhat surprised when she rode the ID who marched up the yard to the mounting block at the end of the ride and stood there waiting for her to dismount.

skint1

Visit site
I fractured my left ankle after sliding off my horse and intending to land on my feet. It didnt' seem much at first but by the second day it was so swollen and i could hardly walk, turned out I had a number of old fractures and this had made one of them bigger. I never did any physio and did ride as soon as I could, but to this day I have limited range of movement. I am not currently riding much but when I did I ended up getting some compositi wide footbed ones and that helped. Nowadays I'd want some that swivel, maybe like the Acavallo ones, because the range of movement in my ankle has decreased.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sounds like I had a very similar accident to yours my horse fell on me as well I had surgery to put in a plate, I started riding 4 months after as although the break was fixed I damaged all the tendons and ligaments really badly, my ankle was so swollen I couldn't wear normal shoes for months and I had lost the walk reflex in my foot, my leg used to shake when I first rode so I used to use a pressure bandage and take naproxen when I rode, I also did lots of exercises with resistance band to build my leg up.

paddy555

Visit site
going to google

is this for use when you’re meant to be weight bearing and getting back to normal? Can you ride with it?

it is meant for when the air walker or plaster case is removed. Yes you are weight bearing. If you bandage it on it becomes even more supportive.
When we got to that stage I took my walker off slowly, kept it on for dangerous things eg leading horses and used the ankle brace for easier activities.
You can certainly ride in it. Mine did many hundreds of miles. :D Initially I bandaged it on and used a mountain horse ankle boot for even more support. Later I removed the bandage and then gradually the ankle brace.

The ankle brace gives a considerable sense of security. Bandaged on your ankle is pretty much safe.
The absolute best physio is riding as a walk. Just a few minutes to start with as you would with any physio exercise. It is the gentle movement on the ankle with the foot in the stirrup that loosens the ankle joint which is very stiff after casting.

Of course there is less strengthening of the ankle with the brace on so you are probably getting back to normal more slowly as in strength of the joint but I found the brace gave me a lot of confidence and also let me do lots of horse things safely.

mini_b

Visit site
it is meant for when the air walker or plaster case is removed. Yes you are weight bearing. If you bandage it on it becomes even more supportive.
When we got to that stage I took my walker off slowly, kept it on for dangerous things eg leading horses and used the ankle brace for easier activities.
You can certainly ride in it. Mine did many hundreds of miles. :D Initially I bandaged it on and used a mountain horse ankle boot for even more support. Later I removed the bandage and then gradually the ankle brace.

The ankle brace gives a considerable sense of security. Bandaged on your ankle is pretty much safe.
The absolute best physio is riding as a walk. Just a few minutes to start with as you would with any physio exercise. It is the gentle movement on the ankle with the foot in the stirrup that loosens the ankle joint which is very stiff after casting.

Of course there is less strengthening of the ankle with the brace on so you are probably getting back to normal more slowly as in strength of the joint but I found the brace gave me a lot of confidence and also let me do lots of horse things safely.

I have ankle boots but don’t tend to wear them as I find they allow my ankle to roll (pre break!) will I be able to wear them with long boots....

it has been such a relief hearing of all the posters having broken ankles, surgery and getting back to it.
i still haven’t had my surgery weeks after the accident... so reading these is providing me with a sense of comfort!

paddy555

Visit site
I have ankle boots but don’t tend to wear them as I find they allow my ankle to roll (pre break!) will I be able to wear them with long boots....

it has been such a relief hearing of all the posters having broken ankles, surgery and getting back to it.
i still haven’t had my surgery weeks after the accident... so reading these is providing me with a sense of comfort!

I doubt you can wear an ankle brace inside long riding boots, they would simply be too tight I think
If you use the ankle brace inside your ankle boots it will stop allowing your ankle to roll whilst you are recovering.

The ankle braces are used by sportsmen eg runners for support whilst they are wearing trainers. Possibly if you ever did want to wear ankle boots the braces would stop the ankle roll (leaving aside the break)

I know Michen couldn't wait to jump back on and go hunting but `I think for many getting back on is scary because of the worry of it happening again if your foot twists in the stirrup. The ankle brace/bandage provides stabilisation. Trotting especially without it would have been pretty scary.

exracehorse

Visit site
I rode after I broke my leg with spiral fracture of the ankle, with a ankle foot support. From Amazon. And hiking boots so had support. I had to put the stirrup leather down two holes. Yes … really hurt in rising trot. Unfortunately you just have to get on with it. It does improve. I can now do long distance rides etc no problem but funny enough it hurts coming downstairs in the morning. 4CFB3FA2-FF6A-447F-8953-4B56C9B85A5A.jpeg4CFB3FA2-FF6A-447F-8953-4B56C9B85A5A.jpeg