Riding after a hysterectomy

JadeyB

Visit site
Hi there,

I am due to have a hysterectomy at the end of the month :( and I just wondered whether anyone has any experience of riding again after this operation? How long did you wait? Did you feel safe?

I had to stop riding a couple of months ago due to the problems which have led to the upcoming op but I am keen to get back in the saddle as soon as I can.

Thanks

Spiritedly

Visit site
I had one nearly 15 years ago and although I was going through a horseless stage at the time I bought one a couple of years later and have been riding again ever since. It's actually nice to be able to wear white jods and not have any worries ;)

Asha

Visit site
I had the op, I think a lot depends on the type of procedure, whether you have keyhole or abdominal.

I had the abdominal, and totally underestimated how long it would take me to recover. I thought id be up and about in a couple of days just like I was after a c section.

I think it took me around 6 months to get back on board. I tried earlier but felt some tugging so left it a bit longer

Best operation ive ever had, good luck, and take care of yourself

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
lol, I had the full abdominal - was let out on the Thursday and the next day did a heated radio debate and led a protest at the County Council office! It tweaked a bit, I confess. I put off riding for 6 weeks. But it all depends on the individual, the procedure, and the skill of the surgeon!

rhylis

Visit site
I had an abdominal hysterectomy in June last year. It did take me quite a long time to recover and ride again but that was due really to the actual operation being much more complicated than my surgeons had anticipated! I was an unusual case and had a longer healing time because of that. I didn't fully return to riding until the spring of this year although that had more to do with the weather than anything. I did hop on my daughters welsh pony occasionally from about November onwards (I think, memory a bit hazy!) to sort him out if he was naughty. I remember seeing my consultant and him telling me I was on no account to get back on a horse yet, I didn't like to say that the day before I'd been having a battle of wills on the back of a stroppy one!
I was surprised when I rode again that right from the start it felt fine, I thought my core muscles might have been weakened and feel wobbly but it was all much the same. My only issue was being careful getting on and off, that did seem to pull on everything a little.
Good luck with your operation, its the best thing I could have done and since recovering I haven't looked back.

JoannaC

Visit site
Hi
I had an abdominal hysterectomy at the end of May this year and started riding at 12 weeks. However I only go on short rides and mainly at walk as it does hurt more when I trot and canter! Psychologically riding makes me feel better but you do need to be sensible. I am feeling rubbish today but more due to doing a fair bit of lifting at the weekend and I did go for a longer ride yesterday and had a canter. The most important thing is to be really sensible for the first few weeks as if you overdo it it will set you back. Recovery is a slow process and I've found it more frustrating than anything. For me it's the fatigue which is the worst thing as whilst you ache a bit it's not like you're in agony so you feel like you should be doing more but then you hit a wall of tiredness. I hope your op goes well and try not to worry too much beforehand, I think that was the hardest bit.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I'm sure those who've had the procedure will know this better than me, but I imagine you'll need to be careful about lifting saddles etc. afterwards as well as the actual riding.
Hope it all goes well anyway.

DW Team

Visit site
Good luck I went into theatre thinking I was having keyhole woke up with keyhole attempt and full as well. I went for my 6 week check up and he was not happy for me to return to stable duties and had to have 12 weeks off. Even after 12 weeks certain lifts were tender. I was told by the surgeon major surgery scars can take up to 2 years to fully heal. The outer skin is normally reasonably well after the 12 weeks. Had mine 14months at now and I am back to full strength. Odd I do get the odd twinge now and then when lifting very heavy feed sacks. Only thing I can advise is listen to your body stop if it hurts.

wills_91

Visit site
Please please listen to your body and and your surgeon! If you rush recovery you will put yourself back and it will take even longer, it's a big procedure. Hope everything goes well, take care.

JadeyB

Visit site
Thanks everyone! I decided to give up the horse I was sharing once I found out that I would need to have a hysterectomy (I'd already had to have 4 weeks off after a lletz procedure and knew i'd be out of action for some time after this op) :(

I'm really keen to start riding again when I can because I know that it'll help my emotional recovery but I have a toddler at home so I need to be very careful to not rush back into the saddle incase I cause any damage... I think as some of you have said I need to listen to my body!

I'll aim for the new year and start off on a riding school plod :)

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
I didn't have a hysterectomy as such, but had to have surgery to remove an ovarian cyst. Unfortunately they couldn't do keyhole as the cyst was the size of a watermelon so they had to cut me length ways to get it out without it bursting and take the ovary out too.
I was told absolutely no riding for minimum of 6 weeks as all the inner layers had been cut open you risk the internal stitches bursting.
It takes it out of you more than you think, even walking the dogs just to the top of the field behind us really tired me out!
Take it easy, listen to your surgeon and your body. Better waiting a few weeks than undoing their work and being out the saddle even longer.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Hi there,

I am due to have a hysterectomy at the end of the month :( and I just wondered whether anyone has any experience of riding again after this operation? How long did you wait? Did you feel safe?

I had to stop riding a couple of months ago due to the problems which have led to the upcoming op but I am keen to get back in the saddle as soon as I can.

Thanks
I had keyhole due to womb/ endometrial cancer - I had the op in the NOV and was not allowed to ride till the Feb so 3 months later

madlady

Visit site
I think I waited just over 3 months and then took it very easy, I'd probably been back in the saddle for a good 4 weeks before we attempted trot or canter. I'm lucky in that my horse is not a lunatic, she's nice and steady, if I had a hotter horse I may have taken the decision to wait a little longer.

Even on my nice steady mare hubby still walked alongside for the first couple of rides.

JadeyB

Visit site
I have been told during the pre-assessment that riding should only be done when I have fully recovered, they quoted 3 months.

Unfortunately the horse I shared is a spooky sharp boy so i'll need to find something a lot quieter next time!