Riding after baby - how long for muscles to come back?

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Hopped on yesterday (love the treeless saddle, nice and comfy to sit on lol) and it didn't hurt, but I felt like I had no core muscles at all (and thus no balance!). Baby is two weeks old so early days yet, but just wondering how long it takes for those muscles to come back. Planning on gentle walk hacks until six weeks - I know I shouldn't be riding but need some 'me' time and something fun as baby has problems keeping weight on etc and we seem to bounce from one medical appt to another! It was SO good to be back on board, even though it's only really been three and a half weeks since I last rode!

NeverSayNever

Visit site
yaay! good for you hun! bet you felt amazing:cool: Now youre back on just take it slowly as you can hurt yourself so easily in the first few months, you still have those hormones that make everything relax.

Im 4 1/2 months on and just staring to feel my core is returning. I mean Ive been back riding properly for ages but still not felt quite ‘there’ in my core if that makes sense? yoga/pilates help but my osteopath advised waiting at least 4 - 5 months before doing any abs work; despite the dr giving you a green card at your 6 week check. You can do gentle pelvic tilts from 6 weeks though- did you get a leaflet from the hosp with exercises on it?

Last edited:

scrunchie

Visit site
A friend of mine went hunting about 10 weeks after giving birth!! She was achey but she was ok.

My own baby is now 5 and 1/2 months and I still haven't got back on. I am about three stone overweight and really want to lose this before clambering back on because I feel its unfair to Doris - though I suspect she could easily carry the extra weight. My daughter is riding her at the moment.

Aidey

Visit site
Hopped on yesterday (love the treeless saddle, nice and comfy to sit on lol) and it didn't hurt, but I felt like I had no core muscles at all (and thus no balance!). Baby is two weeks old so early days yet, but just wondering how long it takes for those muscles to come back. Planning on gentle walk hacks until six weeks - I know I shouldn't be riding but need some 'me' time and something fun as baby has problems keeping weight on etc and we seem to bounce from one medical appt to another! It was SO good to be back on board, even though it's only really been three and a half weeks since I last rode!

No help to your question but might I say I am very jealous, i'm 35+ weeks pregnant and haven't ridden since I found out I was about 6 weeks. I am itching to get back on board but realize it won't be for at least a good couple more months at least :(

Polos Mum

Visit site
You're doing really well to be back on just 2 weeks after, I tried at 2 weeks. Riding wasn't too bad but I had no strength to get off !! Luckily my boy was very good and let me wedge him up next to a fence for me to climb off onto! I didn't try again for about another month and then took it steady. I'd say 3/4 months after riding 3/4 times a week.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
After having Evie (3 1/2 years) I started riding after about 2/3 weeks, didnt realy feel back into the swing until she was a year old, but then I only found the time to ride 1 -2 times a week. New baby is 4 1/2 months and my old girl has retired so only hopped on my daughters ISH a few times and felt like a jelly.

Am looking for a new horse so being so useless doesnt help with trying them. I get on and potter then get my grown up daughter to canter and take them up the road.

Enjoy your me time. I think it will improve your relationship with your bay. A happy Mummy = happy baby.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Pre baby although lean I had a six pack, & haven't ever got that back as I don't do that much exercise anymore. So certainly haven't ever got the core strength to school 5/6 horses a day back. But I'd say by 3mnths it was strong enough to school for an hour correctly, & by 6mnths core back to a high level by normal standards.

dark rider

Visit site
I climbed back on after 2 weeks and was surprosed how my back muscles had gone! it took about 6 weeks after that to be back to normal. You really should be careful until about 6 weeks after the birth to make sure that everything has returned to normal...

noblesteed

Visit site
My baby is 6 months old and my muscles are pretty much back to normal now. Though I am not very fit as I never seem to have time to ride any more :( I am back at work part time so only managing a couple of times a week.
I think it also depends if you are breastfeeding too. The breastfeeding hormones make your ligaments stay looser than normal so you won't tighten up fully until you stop. I am still breastfeeding 2-3 times a day though and I am fine. Fell off last weekend just to prove it - no ill effects from landing on my butt aside from some bruising!

Hope your baby gets well soon!