Riding after hysterectomy

MrsNorris

Visit site
I’m currently waiting for a total hysterectomy, should be in the next few weeks. I haven’t been able to ride or barely even to see my horses as I have to stay covid free otherwise they cannot operate. They are currently turned away in a field off the yard so I can just do a quick check and don’t need to come into contact with anyone. They haven’t been ridden for 2 months or even caught so they’re happily going feral!
I’m having a keyhole operation with tubes and ovaries removed and potentially lymph glands too.
Anyone had any experience of this and can give me an idea of when I’ll be back riding? They have said 3 months but I really don’t want to leave it that long. Thanks.

J&S

Visit site
I had the full op (not keyhole) when I was about 50yrs old. I went out riding on the afternoon they signed me off which was the required 6 weeks. Personally I never had a problem but I may have just been lucky as other people I have known who are not wimps did have had issues with infections etc. I was careful with exercise during the 6 weeks off, as much walking as I could/should do and I did have a rider for the pony during the time out so had no qualms about getting back on. Good luck, I hope it will benefit you as much as it did me.

Asha

Visit site
I would leave it as long as possible, and go with the doctors guidance. Dont go by the timescales others have, the recovery is a deeply personal thing, just listen to your body.
I had one when i was 40, but couldnt have keyhole. I could feel the tugging for quite some time. Even lifting a kettle for the first week was weird. I wasnt even allowed to take the dog for a walk for a few weeks.
Being keyhole, i guess you may recover a little quicker, but dont rush it.
Take care of yourself.

irishdraft

Visit site
I had full op not keyhole when I was 47 and started riding at 6 weeks never had any pain or problems I was fit when I had it done .

planete

Visit site
The recovery can be highly variable. I was one of the unlucky ones with the wound becoming infected leading to extensive adhesions which still cause pain and abdominal problems today. I am not saying this to scare you but to make you aware of the life long problems which could follow a less than straightforward recovery. The horses will wait and you must take all the time you personally need to fully recover. Unless you are already post menopausal you will also have a period of hormonal adjustment to go through which can be tough while the prescribed HRT is being tweaked to suit you. Please look after yourself and I am sure all will be well.

oldie48

Visit site
I would also urge caution, you only have one body and having had adhesions following abdominal ops I very much regret not following my doctor's advice. I was fit and felt really well but I still ended up with my bladder being stuck to bits of my insides instead of being free. Honestly for the sake of a few weeks, it's worth being careful. Good luck with your op, I hope it goes well.

EventingMum

Visit site
I had one at 30 but not keyhole and the recovery was lengthy as I had infections, a haematoma and also having to sort out HRT. I was pretty fit at the time but I must admit I was floored for a number of weeks. Everyone is different so listen to your body and don't rush, in the grand scheme of things a little extra time is not a big concern. On a positive note, once recovered I didn't look back and it was the best decision ever.

MrsNorris

Visit site
Thanks everyone, bit of a mixed bag then really, I guess I’ll just have to keep everything crossed and hope I’m one of the lucky ones. I’m post menopausal so won’t miss my ovaries and I’m pretty fit currently, apart from the cancer of course. Just desperate to get it done and back to some sort of normality.

Last edited:

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Not had a hysterectomy, but did have a double oopharectomy (ovaries out).

Only riding I did was a very short pootle about on the Dizz as it was when I went to view her (timing!), and I had to use the highest mounting block as m'bits wouldn't quite manage the usual pop up and on approach.

I had, and have again, really good core muscles but I still found that I was weak and tired for about six weeks give or take a bit. For once I took it reasonably easy and recovered core strength comparatively quickly.

Just make sure you take the right supplements, etc., as I wasn't offered any due to having wonky blood. It's had a bad effect on bones and now I'm trying to rebuild, though it's years of damage I'm trying to undue.

oldie48

Visit site
Thanks everyone, bit of a mixed bag then really, I guess I’ll just have to keep everything crossed and hope I’m one of the lucky ones. I’m post menopausal so won’t miss my ovaries and I’m pretty fit currently, apart from the cancer of course. Just desperate to get it done and back to some sort of normality.
Trouble is you don't really know what's happening inside you. I did the damage following a couple of C sections and apart from getting some pain from time to time and noticing my bladder capacity was pretty poor I thought I was OK. It was only when I went in for my total hysterectomy some years later that they found the problem. What should have been a fairly straightforward op became life threatening as I lost a lot of blood. I thought I'd sailed through my previous ops but I hadn't!

MrsNorris

Visit site
That must have been terrifying oldie48, I’ve never had a c section, just 5 normal deliveries, so hopefully they won’t come across anything unusual and I’ll be back riding soonish.
I’ve never had to turn my horses away before, they’re both EMS cobs so I was terrified, but this dry weather and a nice unimproved field seems to be working, they’re both slim and sound so far.

wanderersmelody

Visit site
I had TH keyhole at 46 years. I played it by the book. Nothing to do with my horse for 8 weeks, gentle riding by 10 weeks. Had text book recovery just because you are having keyhole, it doesn’t mean the surgery inside your body is less invasive. Let it heal properly an enjoy the future. No need to rush it BTW, best thing I had done.life changing.

ezililaur

Visit site
I’m currently waiting for a total hysterectomy, should be in the next few weeks. I haven’t been able to ride or barely even to see my horses as I have to stay covid free otherwise they cannot operate. They are currently turned away in a field off the yard so I can just do a quick check and don’t need to come into contact with anyone. They haven’t been ridden for 2 months or even caught so they’re happily going feral!
I’m having a keyhole operation with tubes and ovaries removed and potentially lymph glands too.
Anyone had any experience of this and can give me an idea of when I’ll be back riding? They have said 3 months but I really don’t want to leave it that long. Thanks.

Sorry to resurrect your old thread. I'm wondering how your hysterectomy went? I'm about to have the same myself.
Hope your recovery was straight forward and you were back riding promptly.