Riding after rectocele

Harhaz

New User
Visit site
Sorry ladies of similiar mindset and aspirations to me - I need your help.
Have my own horse, strictly DIY basis, very large wide cob. Ride several times a week, hacking, and do all chores. Aged 50, Just had to have rectocele surgery. Could really do with any info - good or bad, I can take it - on getting 'back to normal'. My horse is a massive part of my life, both riding and looking after. A way of life. Fellow horsewomen will understand. But I do also work etc etc so have to have other considerations. Risk of recurrence seems high. Can't believe I am alone. How did anyone/everyone else cope? How many restrictions? Am I foolish and selfish to even consider. Plenty have said I need to give up. But it's who I am.
Help.

LeneHorse

Visit site
Admission- I had to look up rectocele! I am of a similar age and although I've not had surgery for that (yet!) I did have keyhole surgery earlier this year to remove an ovary. I didn't ride for about 5-6 weeks after and was very wobbly for a couple of weeks after that. To be honest, 9 months later I still don't feel quite 'right' down below and am a bit worried that I might be heading for a prolapse. The winter DIY horsecare routine of mucking out and lifting water buckets hasn't helped.
So my advice would be give yourself plenty of time to heal before trying to resume your normal lifestyle. I have great friends who helped out with my horse when I was off (luckily it was in the summer and she was out 24/7) so take all the help you can get.
Hope you recover quickly and can resume your riding.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I don't know if this will help, but try speaking to Lynsey Wilcox-Reid. She does Equipilates :). It's helping me immensely - not the same issue as you, I broke my back at the end of July. I'm guessing that the core muscles being good will help?

Harhaz

New User
Visit site
Hi, thanks very much for your reply. Yes, I'm being good and taking time. My horse is stabled in the winter and I have had a team of helpers, paid and unpaid. As I needed eight weeks of full cover it really was too much of a favour to ask!! However, it now materialises that it just isn't quite as simple as get him looked after for 8 weeks and all just goes back to normal! I sort of naively thought that as look as I healed properly I'd go back to being as good as new! I now know thats not the case, I now have a weak spot, it could go again, at any time. My surgeon is honest and fair and has never said that it is about anything other than quality of life, and me being who I am. But he has also said that if I was a woman who just sat down all pay my risk of recurrence would obviously be far less. I am usually so fit and healthy and live my life at an immensely fast pace and I really had not intention of changing that. I'm just not the knitting kind- no offence at all to those who are! Anyhow, it's really knocked me. I certainly don't want it to happen again but I loved my life and I adore my horse and lifestyle. I just wonder if I am not at least going to adapt it. Can I really do DIY livery anymore. But can I either afford anything else or want anything else. Giving my boy his apple when he's tucked up in his stable on a cold winters night is one of my greatest pleasures. So. Um. I sincerely hope so start to feel better and 'right' and hope you don't have a prolapse, but we both know that what we do can't help can it?!! Do you knit??!! All the best

Brownmare

Visit site
I was in a similar position after a difficult birth and a huge episiotomy and I can honestly say I don't think I could have recovered fully without doing pilates. i can't emphasise enough how much it helps "keep everything in place" and although I don't go to classes any more I do still run through the routines every few days to keep my pelvic floor in shape.

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
I broke my back in May and had a hysterectomy and removal of ovaries at the end of October. (it was a great year >g<). I started riding again just before Christmas. I was very anxious at first and spent the lessons in walk, but I'm trotting and doing the school movements. I find it exhausting - Ionly ride for 30 mins at a time - but I honestly believe it is helping build up my back muscles and restoring my core balance. I'd wait at least six weeks after the op, take things very slowly and get off if you feel any discomfort. Good luck.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Hi I am a physio student hwo worked in womens health and saw people with this type of surgery. You need to work on core strength (deep transverse abs) and after 2 weeks post surgery you can begin pelvic floor exs these will all help. doing pilates is a good idea but again you will need to be patient and begin gently explain to instructor about the surgery.
You should be fine to ride but i would advise you wait until after you have had a post surgery check up about 6-8weeks. And begin gently. You dont need to give up and just make sure you are gently

Harhaz

New User
Visit site
This is the first time I have done anything like this (although I work on a computer so thats very familiar territory) so I am not sure of completely how best to do it. Anyhow I have emailed everyone seperately and now think it would be good to just post something also just so no one thinks on the thread I am not so appreciative of all replies. They are giving me hope and help. So thank you all.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you very much for your reply and I wil try and make contact. So sorry about your back - very best wishes

Thank you for your kind wishes :). If you can't get Lynsey I hope you find someone else as good and as patient :D

As to the etiquette on here, you have done the right thing :D. People who reply appreciate that the OP (Original Poster, in this case you) may well not have the time to respond to every individual response, so a nice blanket 'thank you' is appreciated :D.

Harhaz

New User
Visit site
So it's off to pilates for me! Well soon anyway. And horse on even more of a diet than usual - surely I can make him into a very slim thoroughbred!! No offence to tubby (!) Irish cobs!! Any more suggestions, experiences, welcomed, but I have had some super help and advice already. Made me think I'd just like to send good wishes to anyone who can't get in the saddle at this time, for whatever reason. Good luck to all

Harhaz

New User
Visit site
Moved forwards a bit and am going to make an appt to see a physiotherapist who teaches remedial pilates and is a very good horsewoman. Hoping to phone monday and arrange. Yoga has also been suggested. Am feeling more upbeat and spent some time with my lad today which is always good therapy. Would love to buy a hippo buggy!! Sounds like a brilliant asset for someone who no longer wants to lift heavy stuff and just minimise their risk! Doing the lottery tonight!!!!

Visit site
Hello ladies, how are you all getting on now? I've just been diagnosed, Im 41, I have 3 horses - two in work. To say I'm devastated is an understatement. Im going to try and avoid surgery if I can, how were you with riding before you had the op? Thank you, please PM if you prefer, any info gratefully received