Riding after time off and barefoot

Jesstiggs

Visit site
My boy has been off work now for around 5 months due to tendon injury in the hind hoof, have been told I can now start to ride 30 mins at walk.

But question is I removed his hind shoes at the beginning of all the lameness which i believe has been a great help in him coming sound again but my farrier has said he probably wouldn't cope due to thin soles etc, I don't want to put the shoes back on but how is the best thing to help him with the flinty terrain around my area with out these and best way to introducing him back to hacking out as can be a bit of a life wire at the best of times.

cptrayes

Visit site
The thin soles are almost always a diet issue. I'm sure Oberon will be along soon to PM you with her standard feeding guidance.

Meanwhile, you can get him out hacking in boots, there is a wonderful range these days. I'm not a boot expert, I'm sure someone else will point you to the best place to buy some now.

Jesstiggs

Visit site
Thanks cptrayes, I have tried my friends boots on him, but he had an absolute fit, and wouldn't have them on at all!! I will try and have another go, but not sure it's going to work :-(

claribella

Visit site
Yeah get your diet sorted and you will soon be taking the fronts off lol. Ive just got my hands accidently on a pair of Equine fusions. They are really well reviewed and despite mine being a prototype from a year ago they are really quite good. My girl has been footy on the stones but she was stomping out big stylee today with them. There is a really good site that you can buy them on called bitlessandbarefoot.com where you pay the price of the boot and then if you dopnt like them you get a full refund minus postage. There is also a really brilliant facebook group related to that site where the people are dead helpful and friendly called 'bitless and barefoot-metal free horses'.

Kat

Visit site
Don't worry that he objected to the boots. Try a couple more times. Mine was highly unimpressed at having them on her back feet the first couple of times, and she walked like a loony at first too but in a couple of days she was better and has continued to improve. She has them on all four happily now.

I found the best advice on boots was the saddlery shop website. I've got cavallo simple boots and I'm very impressed, easy to put on, stay in place, haven't rubbed and give great protection.

I considered old Mac boots but went for the cavallos as I needed something really easy to get on as my mare is funny with her feet.

ALO

Visit site
I can second the cavallos.easy to put on and stayed in place when he did a rodeo demonstation on the lunge the other day :)

Jesstiggs

Visit site
Thank you, i will keep trying with them then, and hopefully he will give in and wear them, as i do think these will be a good idea for him, not that i will get a chance to ride in this awful weather we are having :-(