Riding again after 5 year break and hip resurfacing?

KateGilbert

New User
Visit site
Hello

I was wondering if anyone has got back on a horse following a hip resurfacing operation? I have had a break of 5 years and have decided to bite the bullet and get
back in the saddle! My sister and i are sharing an 11 year old ex racehorse and i am currently getting my weight down so i can ride him (I have lost 3 1/2 stone so far!).

Has anyone else had this op and were there any exercises that i can do to help prepare myself before getting back in the saddle (my surgeon has told me to get on with life
and that i can do everything that I did before)

I am not planning on cross country or show jumping, just a bit of hacking and dressage and may be pop a small jump if I get confident enough

Any advice from people who have ridden after this op would be great :)

cheers

Kate

TrasaM

Visit site
Hi Kate . Well done on loosing the weight. Sorry can't answer your hip query but just wanted to say hi and best of luck getting back to riding again :)

Elfen

Visit site
Interested to hear any advice as I'm waiting to have a full hip replacement. Currently riding still, dressage and sj, and aim to get back on as soon as I can. I'm only 43 so slightly gutted! Keeping your weight down is important - I've always struggled with mine, lost 4 stone two years ago, and am battling to keep it off. I tend to use the gym ball to work on my core strength - really struggle with any hip exercises but do do them despite the pain. I suppose it's just a case of getting your muscles good and strong and working properly again. Good luck with everything :)

On the Hoof

Visit site
Hi
I had a hip replacement two years ago and started riding (for the first time!) about 9 months after my op. It hurt at first , but I just perservered. Tips - do your hip exercises every day for the rest of your life! I got myself a sports physio for a few months who gradually built up my exercise routine , as the hospital only give you the basics for hte first three months and then abandon you!! Gradually try and do some hip stretches etc but be careful with these and defintely dont start until you are out of the 3 month post op period etc etc Good luck and enjoy! :)

KateGilbert

New User
Visit site
Hi Elfen - I am only 33 - i had my hip done when i was 29 so quite young (very severe arthritis) - no pain now so feeling brave enough to get back in the saddle :)

KateGilbert

New User
Visit site
Hi
I had a hip replacement two years ago and started riding (for the first time!) about 9 months after my op. It hurt at first , but I just perservered. Tips - do your hip exercises every day for the rest of your life! I got myself a sports physio for a few months who gradually built up my exercise routine , as the hospital only give you the basics for hte first three months and then abandon you!! Gradually try and do some hip stretches etc but be careful with these and defintely dont start until you are out of the 3 month post op period etc etc Good luck and enjoy! :)

Thanks on the hoof - it has been 4 years since I had mine done and I have tired to keep as flexible as I can - the sports physio is a good idea I will look into!

TangoCurly

Visit site
I had hip replacement 2 yrs ago (aged 37). Riding is FAR easier after the operation than it was for several years leading up to it.

I'd highly recommend the suggestion above of regularly seeing a physio after your 'normal' physio sessions are finished. You will have been moving incorrectly for years, so need to be reminded how to do it properly! I also do Pilates at a studio once a week which really helps. If you have a studio with all the machines near you, that is far better than a normal class, but a normal class is still a lot better than nothing.

Provided your surgeon says you can ride, then crack on!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i had birmingham hip resurfacing done 7 years ago, started riding again after 3 months, no problem, in fact much more comfortable than before as barely managed 10 mins till the pain was too much, could then ride for up to 1 1/2 hours comfortably. i didnt try any longer but am sure it would have been ok.
HOWEVER......a word of caution, i have had revision surgery on one hip(a complete hip replacement)and will need to have the other done as the birmingham hip resurfacing used metal on metal implants and metal ions went into my bloodstream and this has caused the bone to be eaten away so i had to have bone grafts to build it up....4 months on i am still struggling to do everything and havent started riding again yet.....it may be worth checking to see if yours were metal on metal and maybe check on the internet re problems......sorry to be doom and gloom but i am very disdappointed that mine went wrong in such a short time...pm me if you want any further info...

Suby2

Visit site
I had a hip replacement one year ago and started riding again after four months. Really struggled before the op with pain and reduced mobility. Now the replaced hip is great. Sadly other one may need to be replaced soon but following the success of the first one I am excited and can't wait to get it done. As others have said sticking to the physio is crucial. Not sure how this compares to hip resurfacing but wish you all the best.

pip6

Visit site
I had big hip surgery (last ditch attempt before replacement which we were trying big time to avoid due to age) in may, was riding again after 2 months with huge reduction in pain. I do still use a very large mounting block for a small horse, as I find it is the movement of the hip getting on and off that is hardest due to lack of power around the hip and years of restricted movement.Friend has had both hips replaced one immediately after the other, battled a bone infection that left her hospitalised for a couple of months, and within 6 months was back doing 100mile endurance races.

Last edited: