Riding again after a nasty accident = your experiences please

Waffles

Visit site
It's going to be a while till I can ride again (in the new year sometime). It's probably going to be a bit scary to say the least. I broke my femur a couple of months back - very nasty break. Just wondering how others coped with going back to riding - emotionally and physically.

ImmyS

Visit site
Sorry I can't answer your questions but just wanted to say I can empathise. I had a riding accident a couple of weeks ago, fractured my tibia in three pieces and have been told no riding for 6 months - I feel your pain!!

Red_Diesel

Visit site
Hi. Sorry to hear your not able to ride for a while :(. I hope your recovery is going well. I haven't broken a limb before, but did hairline fracture my odontoid peg (bit at the top of your neck that stops your head collapsing) alongside severe pins and needles in my arm due to a trapped nerve from a fall. It left me unable to ride for approx 4 months and Ive got to say I was that fed up with not being able to ride that i just jumped straight back on the first chance I could get, although am still dubious about riding that horse again (thankfully it wasn't my own I was riding). Its different for everyone and depends on what caused the fall and how you feel. My advice would be to take it slow and steady and get yourself comfortable back in the saddle before you start to become more adventurous again

alainax

Visit site
Fake it till you make it. Pretend you are the most confident uber rider. Almost act out how confidentely a great rider would take him to the block, put your foot in the stirrup and get on. Then breathe, lots of nice deep breaths. Take it easy, lots of walking, with a friend there on the ground holding while you get on, and walking beside you till you feel fine.

Chances are after 5 mins... you will be absolutely fine. Its just that initial moment to break down that barrier of fear.

I had a bad fall where I hurt my back, couldn't walk for a week, it was sore to ride in the weeks after, but I just did what I could. Remember there is no pressure, no rule that you must work him for an hour on day 1, just do what you can till its not comfy to carry on.

Good luck!

Waffles

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I think thinking with confidence thing is a really good idea. It's going to be long haul as I had an open fracture and had to have an intramedullary nail fiited (you can google an animated thing of the operation on youtube). Currently, after nearly 10 weeks I am using two crutches. I wasn't allowed to put weight on the injured leg for 6 weeks - couldn't even shower, or indeed visit my horse (I can now see him over the fence - it's too dangerous for me to go in the field as I can't move quickly enough if anything happens, and find uneven ground quite difficult). I can just about walk with one crutch for a short distance. Can't even make my own coffee yet..... I think I will get a couple more x rays, the final one being in January (which will be 6 months after the accident). The surgeon happens to have a wife and daughter who are into horses and when he visited me after the op he said "this needn't be the end of riding" and weirdly, the young surgeon who discharged me from hospital said "my family breed welsh cobs" and knew of the stud where I got mine. I had to be airlifted to hospital, by the way and waited for an hour and a half for the paramedics to find me, having reset my bent femur - good job I did, as apparently, in that time, it would certainly have compromised the circulation in my leg and I could have lost it.

Waffles

Visit site
also, I lost a piece of bone from my femur - it was a really bad break, normally seen in high speed car accidents - I tucked in and rolled and would have been ok, but I hit a rock (I was rolling quite fast). My forearms were cut to pieces from rolling through brambles etc. The medics were amazed that apart from the leg, my other injuries were only superficial. It really isn't an experience I want to repeat in a hurry!

its_noodles

Visit site
i fractured my lower back a couple of times. i think u just have to take some time off. it will take at least 6 weeks for the bone to set. once its healed, the bone is "supposed" to be stronger. having said that, you will feel it every time the weather changes. i would just concentrate on recovering for now. u know when u want to get back to riding...
:)

swellhillcottage

Visit site
I feel your pain! I am in a similar situation as you I came of my pone on August 6th and landed on my feet which resulted in a Pilon fracture to my left leg - I spent two weeks in Frenchay Hospital - I have now had the cast removed and am still non weight bearing for another 6 weeks and apparently then I can think about standing on it - I work as a Postie and have been told I wont go back to delivery before Easter!
On the riding side of things I had just bought my horse as a project and I cannot see myself getting back on him for a long time as he is a bit sharp with spooking etc - he is being ridden atm by a couple of people and is actually doing his 3rd Cubbing session this afternoon but is I suppose potentially for sale.

But hang in there and don't rush anything - take your time and It will be fine - I am not thinking about riding yet but tbh when you see you shin folded in half from not even a proper fall it does put things in to perspective!!

Link to my xray pics!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...780789121.1073741869.512179120&type=3&theater

S X

its_noodles

Visit site
Thank you - isn't it funny though my Surgeon who is at the top of his game hates horses and wont let his daughter ride..................................

sounds typical...
i remember seeing a dermatologist who kept putting sun cream on her daughter's face just before she went in to the ring, driving the poor teenager mad...
:)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have had several spectalular crashes the last one was epic took five years of surgery to get through it.
Every time I just get back on and ride it has not effected me at all really.I have to be more carefull now as my leg reconstruction means I can't overtire myself but I hunt train my horses and hope to event again next year when my horse is ready.
I have never been nervous after an accident I just get on and go again, but I'm aware now I have to pace myself .

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I have had a couple of nasty falls that scared me, luckily I wasn't too physically damaged but mentally I took a good knock :( To be honest I never pushed myself to do anything when I'd lost my confidence, my horses can sense when I'm nervous (which causes them to be nervous = vicious cycle). I found after a few sessions just sticking to basics I was itching to try jumping larger fences and gradually pushed the fear to the back of my mind :) I took a nasty fall a month ago where the horse tripped and face-planted the floor over a jump, he landed on my legs and I had hooves a foot from my face! I just got up and it didn't bother me at all, went out xc the next day so I think it must be something you get desensitised to !

sport horse

Visit site
I broke my femur nearly forty years ago when a horse fell with me. I had to have the leg pinned twice with Intramedullary nails and it took nearly 15 months before I was fit to ride again (moral is when you are carted into A & E check out the calibre of the surgeon and that he knows what size nail to put in said fracture!).

The second surgeon was very confident that riding would be no problem but top level skiing might be - apparently the force of skiing causes your bones to flex and the nail prevents that happening. My skiing standard does not reach those levels!

Once the bone had started to heal and the pain reduced I was not worried to ride again and went on to show jump at top national levels with no problem. I still have the nail in the leg. Take your time and start slowly on a horse you trust and you will gradually get back to where you were before.

Good luck - it is a horrid injury but there are worse.

Waffles

Visit site
Thank you - isn't it funny though my Surgeon who is at the top of his game hates horses and wont let his daughter ride..................................

My surgeon, as I said, said his wife and daughter ride. He also said "I know it's a cliche, but you could get run over by a bus"

RE having your leg fold in half - my femur did that. Not nice. I had horrid flashbacks for a while. I certainly won't be able to rush anything - there's no way I'm going to be able to ride when I can't walk unaided. Need to get fit to muck out before long though.

Waffles

Visit site
I didn't know they were doing intramedullary nails that long ago! I know they used to do traction for femur breaks and then you'd be in bed for months. They said there are loads of different sizes of titanium rods for the purpose, so hopefully I have the right one in. I don't intend going skiing..... Indeed, there are worse - felt lucky I hadn't broken my neck! I had a horse fall on my at a flat out gallop in the late 70s - I was about 14 or 15 at the time and he was a 15.3 tb - god knows how I didn't break that leg! I was limping for a couple of days, but played it down to my mum incase she stopped me riding, and the current injury was the first time Ive ever been to A&E

Lucky Lady

Visit site
So sorry to hear this, poor you! I had an accident and was laid off for a while and a little apprehensive getting back on after 6 mths. What I did was to put my horse on these amazing calmers which work! Only need to use them when you require them and work within 45mins. Also I took the human version and with us both feeling really good and focused, we were then in tune! PM me if you like for more info.

Waffles

Visit site
Thank you Lucky Lady. I'd be interested to hear about the calmers - I hadn't actually thought of doing anything like that. My horse is generally ok, and on the day of the accident we were walking along with fairly loose reins, us in front and a friend behind. My horse was being quite sluggish and slightly reluctant, so I was kicking him on and slapping my legs (I wear full chaps which were sadly cut off me after the accident - I had them for 20 yrs!!) with the reins.... Anyway, I heard a tree falling behind us and my horse sort of shot forward and I stayed on but then the other horse overtook on the offside and we went slightly off the path and there were branches looming and my horse was cantering by this time so I kind of bailed off/fell off as the twigs were coming towards me etc. - I got to that point of no return. He's normally quite calm with stuff. The only other time he freaked out back in January was when he got his legs stuck in some twiggy branches on a bridle path and I ended up sailing over his rear end. I wasn't badly hurt then. I've had this horse a bit over two years and have felt pretty safe on him most of the time really as he's generally not very spooky. Sorry this is droning on a bit but it is actually helping get it off my chest to other people who understand.

sport horse

Visit site
Yes Waffles, I am living proof that they were doing intramedullary nails then - I do have to admit that it was done in one of the top London teaching hospitals and was pretty new. The Kuntschner nail was a little earlier and that was what the local surgeon used - it was just too long and too narrow so did not stabilise fracture properly thus it did not heal - not nice!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I fractured my spine and was told enver to ride again. I disregarded that obviously :D I first got back on my old cob after 3 months, still in a metal back brace. It was only bareback for a few seconds, but I needed to know my nerve wasnt gone and to find out I had to get back on. At about the 6 month point my friend bought a horse for me to ride. I absolutely loved him and rode a lot, galloping in the woods, jumping logs and generally being a bit of an idiot. Then one day I had a reality check, stopped riding and bought a 3yr old to drive. Turns out driving hurts way more than riding ever did! I've sat on the 3 yr old twice, just for 10mins or so. But I know him, i know how he thinks, how he reacts etc, and I trust him not to ever drop me intentionally. I;m now a year and a f =ew days away from my accident, and he will be turned away for the winter and I'll pick him back up in the spring.

There are horses I wouldnt ride, and horses that I mentally couldnt get on, and I'm generally very fussy about what I'll ride now a days, but oddly enough I dont find nerves to be a problem once I'm on. Sometimes I feel a bit wibbly thinking about it, or before I get on. Once I'm on, I'm fine :)

mynutmeg

Visit site
I was bolted with (miscommunication, not entirely horse's fault) by my tb and came off badly breaking/dislocating both ankles. I first got back on my sister's cob after 3 months, the day after I got my last cast off while still on crutches. I was led round the school once and then got off. I was literally shaking. I didn't ride again for another 2 or 3 months, till I was off crutches really - that first time was a bit of a 'get back on asap' thing. Once I started riding, again it was on my sister's cob who is solid and very good at looking after you it took me a long time to be able to trot, never mind canter.
The tb went on loan as he was way too much for me and after 8 months I started looking for a quiet, well schooled, older gelding ........ and came back with a just backed 3 year old mare :p:confused::D
I went very slowly with her just walking round being led etc for a while and as she came on I gained confidence and we sorta grew together. Almost 6 years later I still have confidence issues at speed but when riding regualrly I can canter/gallop on hacks although canter in the school is still really scary (I came off in the school) Part of the reason I've not progressed as quickly as I'd like is I've had mutliple surgeries (hopefully all finished now) and am just starting to ride again following my most recent one so me and the mare (who's just had a foal) are getting fit together.
I trust her completely but think I would struggle with a more tb type or something I didn't feel I could stop - Roo is forward and likes going fast but she comes back when asked or if she feels me getting unbalanced.

I think the key is to take it at your own pace and don't be surprised that it's scary and you have no confidence. I also found Kelly Mark's book, Perfect Confidence, really good

mynutmeg

Visit site
I feel your pain! I am in a similar situation as you I came of my pone on August 6th and landed on my feet which resulted in a Pilon fracture to my left leg - I spent two weeks in Frenchay Hospital - I have now had the cast removed and am still non weight bearing for another 6 weeks and apparently then I can think about standing on it - I work as a Postie and have been told I wont go back to delivery before Easter!
On the riding side of things I had just bought my horse as a project and I cannot see myself getting back on him for a long time as he is a bit sharp with spooking etc - he is being ridden atm by a couple of people and is actually doing his 3rd Cubbing session this afternoon but is I suppose potentially for sale.

But hang in there and don't rush anything - take your time and It will be fine - I am not thinking about riding yet but tbh when you see you shin folded in half from not even a proper fall it does put things in to perspective!!

Link to my xray pics!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...780789121.1073741869.512179120&type=3&theater

S X

Thats a good fracture!

My surgeon, as I said, said his wife and daughter ride. He also said "I know it's a cliche, but you could get run over by a bus"

RE having your leg fold in half - my femur did that. Not nice. I had horrid flashbacks for a while. I certainly won't be able to rush anything - there's no way I'm going to be able to ride when I can't walk unaided. Need to get fit to muck out before long though.

Take your time and go at your own speed.

Thank you Lucky Lady. I'd be interested to hear about the calmers - I hadn't actually thought of doing anything like that. My horse is generally ok, and on the day of the accident we were walking along with fairly loose reins, us in front and a friend behind. My horse was being quite sluggish and slightly reluctant, so I was kicking him on and slapping my legs (I wear full chaps which were sadly cut off me after the accident - I had them for 20 yrs!!) with the reins.... Anyway, I heard a tree falling behind us and my horse sort of shot forward and I stayed on but then the other horse overtook on the offside and we went slightly off the path and there were branches looming and my horse was cantering by this time so I kind of bailed off/fell off as the twigs were coming towards me etc. - I got to that point of no return. He's normally quite calm with stuff. The only other time he freaked out back in January was when he got his legs stuck in some twiggy branches on a bridle path and I ended up sailing over his rear end. I wasn't badly hurt then. I've had this horse a bit over two years and have felt pretty safe on him most of the time really as he's generally not very spooky. Sorry this is droning on a bit but it is actually helping get it off my chest to other people who understand.

Non-horsey people just don't understand why we want to get back on after accidents do they? :p It seems a long time at the moment but once you're through it doesn't feel so long and you do get through it

Waffles

Visit site
Yes Waffles, I am living proof that they were doing intramedullary nails then - I do have to admit that it was done in one of the top London teaching hospitals and was pretty new. The Kuntschner nail was a little earlier and that was what the local surgeon used - it was just too long and too narrow so did not stabilise fracture properly thus it did not heal - not nice!

Wow! Hopefully, the surgeons have learned a bit more about it by now and they have got mine right! x

Waffles

Visit site
Just looked up the history of intramedullary nailing and see it was invented in 1939 and used for soldiers, but not really taken "seriously" till 1972. There's an article on Wiki about it.

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
I came off a friends horse in January, he bolted in the menage, and then jumped out, with me landing on concrete, left buttock first! The pain was horrific, and it was a good 2 months before I could manage to put a pair of socks on, let alone ride!
When I did get back in the saddle my instructor was amazing. She took it real slow, and let me do what I wanted!

I am still a little nervy with new horses, and I go through all the scenarios in my head when I first get on. Once I get working, I settle down and stop thinking about what ifs.

Good luck and it will take time, just don't be too hard on yourself!

sport horse

Visit site
My accident was in 1976 so I was fairly early in the history of nails!! Initially I was in a ward next to a lady who had had a hunting accident and shattered her femur just above the knee. She was in traction for 17 weeks and then they did a bone graft. That was very new in those days. She did eventually recover and I think she rode again.

I have to say that two ops and a few days in hospital is far better than weeks on traction.

By the way I have never set off the buzzers at any airport but I did get every single one going at the London Olympics last year - bit worrying really when you think about that!

Waffles

Visit site
When I signed the consent form for the op (I didn't care what they did, I just wanted to be fixed so didn't pay much attention to what they said) they gave me a leaflet about the option of traction instead - I can't really believe people would go for that option!! We never go abroad so I'm not worried about setting off alarms, but in the event that we did, apparently, you can get some sort of certificate to explain why you keep setting alarms off:)

Pedantic

Visit site
You will most likely find that when you get back in the saddle, it will feel the most natural place to be and you will be fine, but your confidence will be a bit down for a while, it does come back though, took me a while to get back to cantering out, but it does come back, just takes time and lots of riding :)

Waffles

Visit site
You will most likely find that when you get back in the saddle, it will feel the most natural place to be and you will be fine, but your confidence will be a bit down for a while, it does come back though, took me a while to get back to cantering out, but it does come back, just takes time and lots of riding :)
Thank you :)

budley95

Visit site
I haven't read replies but you can ride again. it's very much mind over matter. This is my scar 6 years on
DSC_0244_zpse45f1d9a.jpg

I was walking off on a long rein after a particularly successful lesson when my boy decided to bronc, twist and gallop about until he got me off. Stamped on my leg and span on it smashing my femur, growth plate and patella. Femur was very close to femal artery. I was told id never walk or ride again. Actually after they found MRSA In the wound and thought it was my body rejecting the plate after 4 weeks they decided to let me home without cast the Monday afternoon. I got back on the same horse Tuesday morning with draw reins for confidence for myself, cycled to physio Wednesday and jumped in the local shows open 3'3 that Sunday. I have a mother that pushed me but also supported me, so was very lucky. She also taught my horse voice aids whilst I was in cast to make it easier for me and took me for walks bareback on my sisters awesome 12.2 with a full leg cast. Yes it all hurt like crazy but I have a very high pain threshold and pushed through it. I still have the same horse. You can do it. Push through, fake confidence until you genuinely have it and take a bit of rescue remedy if you're really nervous!