Riding attire

Elopi

Visit site
Does anyone wear gym clothing for riding? I have a lot of gym stuff which I never wear and wondered if it would be suitable for riding, it is for exercising after all. Also gym wear is significantly cheaper so I was just wondering if anyone does and what brands would you recommend?

tia

Antw23uk

Visit site
Yes breathable gym T-shirts are a godsend in summer. I also use my long sleeved running tops in Autumn and all the time with my high viz running top as its breathable, light and it glows very bright, lol! I wouldnt ride in anything other than breeches though. I have some 'summer' light weight ones by PE but they are horrendous!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Yes, but some of the running leggings can be a little slippy on the saddle. I wear running vests a lot in the summer and very rarely wear normal bras, now (riding or not!).

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I’m always wearing gym vests etc for riding or doing yard jobs. Have ridden in gym leggings in the past - as above, some of the materials are super slippy but others fine

mini_b

Visit site
Yep!
Running/cycling stuff is normally a bit cheaper and they had leggings with pockets on before the equine world caught on. Echo the fact that some can be slippy, ok if you have a gel seat saver.

AFB

Visit site
I tend to stick to horsey bottoms as I like the grip (always ride with full seat) - but on top anything goes. If I'm not riding then I'll be in jeans/short weather dependent.

Kat

Visit site
I buy jodhs or breeches, and equestrian specific boots and gloves. Everything else is designed for other sports.

Hiking and climbing gear mainly but ski gear is good for winter and gym/running/cycling for summer.

I think gym leggings would wear out very quickly if you rode in them as they are thinner. Plus they are slippery.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yes, live in exercise tights for riding / messing with the horses and generally just wear bog standard plain t-shirts or running type tops if Im having a lesson (and getting partiularly hot). I only find the tights a bit cold for winter.

They wear really well, even though the tights are thin - Im still sitting in a pair I wear most days that are over a year old and they were cheap Tesco ones! No holes. I wouldnt wear them on a really spooky horse though as no grip.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Yes :)

I ride in a mix of gym leggings and riding tights and gym, running or cycling tops of various thicknesses and lengths all year round. I like sports tops as there's nothing worse than being sweaty in unbreathable tops for hours ?

[142807]

Visit site
Does anyone wear gym clothing for riding? I have a lot of gym stuff which I never wear and wondered if it would be suitable for riding, it is for exercising after all. Also gym wear is significantly cheaper so I was just wondering if anyone does and what brands would you recommend?

tia
Tops are fine but you need decent jodhpurs or breeches. I’m old school and believe you need to look the part what ever you are doing.

Visit site
Hi! I use a mix- as in they’re riding leggings. Theyre made from gym leggings but with silicon coating on the seat/ down the insides of the legs! I’ve ridden in normal gym stuff and I find it’s fine for more relaxed riding… for jumping I like the silicon :)

Gym tops are a god send! Or baggy tank tops etc.

At the end of the day, it’s whatever you’re comfortable riding in. My friend rides in shorts (I cringe at the stirrup leather pinches) but I prefer the riding leggings :)

Polos

Visit site
I do it the other way round! I wear my riding stuff for the gym. I’ve spent so much on it it might as well be multi use haha. I like using my psos, equiline and kingsland riding leggings and my Dublin and ariat long sleeved tech tops In the gym.

I do have a couple of new balance long sleeved running tops that I use for riding though. I don’t find them as cooling as my Dublin ones if I’m honest though!

Mule

Visit site
I did, til I recently got a new saddle. Instead of dismounting in my usual steady and stately fashion, I came down the side of him like a greased rat on a waterslide, and narrowly avoided landing on my arse.
? I am borrowing 'greased rat on a waterslide'.