Riding bitless.. please tell me everything you know!

Dumbo

Visit site
True, but she makes me feel like such a novice and quite stupid!
I expected her to say 'Yes, great idea!' then I'd have her full support but instead she was very against it so I'd be on my own in trialling it and she'd take great pleasure in watching me hurtle around the school with no control!
(If you couldn't tell - I can't wait to move yards next year and go somewhere with much more open minded people who have a 'more to horses than hunting' attitude who welcome first time owners who just want to hack and enjoy there horse!)

Shutterbug

Visit site
Thats a shame that shes not a little more supportive but dont let it put you off. Do you have an friends who would be able to be your support from the ground while you give bitless a go?

Waffles

Visit site
I ride bitless because I believe all horses would do without bits given chance. I still have in the back of my mind "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell, written with the purpose of enlightening horse owners, and... slightly yucky maybe, Tonto in the Lone Ranger.... these things, however sickly these days were the precursors of, (for want of a better term, should there be one) natural horsemanship

Nitro mouse

Visit site
:eek: with regards to what your YO said. Yank it!!! OMG!!!!

Ignore her, for a start...

My boy has fine teeth and has had no mouth injury problems, however he has a very large tongue, and has always been uncomfortable in whatever bit I have tried. Yes we have muddled along for years (I have had him for 15 years). But bitless he is now completely relaxed through his neck and jaw. No flinging head around, and far more willing to work.
Good luck with the yard move, sounds like the sooner the better.

He is your horse and you know him the best.

claribella

Visit site
You need to listen to yourself on this one. You know your horse and I think if you listen to your YO then you will regret it. I do things the unconventional way ie riding bitless, treeless and barefoot, prefering to walk beside my horse rather than ride and people dont understand so they critise and tell me that its not right/nice esp when my mare gets footy with the spring grass but I stand by what I believe is right for her. You just need to listen to yourself and be prepared for some abuse, back chatting along the way. The thing is when bitless works for your horse your YO will be stood by watching and eating her words.

I ride bitless because I dont believe a bit is needed and I also believe that given the correct ground work, that every horse could go bitless incluing yours. I would do as much research as you can and get on the ground with your horse doing the seven basic ground exercises ie back up etc (youtube it). It all starts from the ground. The more your horse trusts you and your bond is built in this way then the easier your transition to bitless will be as she will trust you and listen better. I think I said before but learn the one rein stop just incase you need it. Id also suggest not trying it out infront of your yo because you will prob be stressed and tense which horsey will pick up on. Take a look at that site I suggested before. The lady that owns it is really helpful and will help you in every way. Also join her facebook page. The people are really knowledgeable and helpful:)

Barefoot Endurance

Visit site
I ride my horse bitless because I don't like bits! My darling horse to be honest would endure any awful contraption but why should she? She's an angel and I quite happily ride bridle less too! (That's an amazing feeling!) never listen to people who are giving advise like that!

The flower hackamore is I think a very kind option as long as the hands on the reins are kind :)

http://www.cannockchaseequine.co.uk/Zilco-flower-Hackamore_A13I97.aspx?nh=261130

Brightbay

Visit site
No, there's nothing wrong with my horse's mouth at all :)

I ride bitless, because I believe we should all stive not to use unnecessary tack. I think most people who are committed to horsemanship believe the same - so skilled riders who use a stronger bit are always aiming to use a milder one through schooling and improving their riding.

I have trained my horse to be ridden safely in a bitless bridle (and like the poster above, I can ride in his field with no tack at all). I don't leave it at "everything seems fine" and keep working to improve both his way of going and my own riding, aiming for "invisible aids" and minimal tack.

Like most people, I adjust level of tack to suit the situation - hence the flower hack on pleasure rides where we're likely to be passed by lots of excited horses.

How about setting up a bridle with your regular bit plus a bitless noseband and two sets of reins? Then you can ride off the bitless bridle and still - from your YO's point of view be riding as normal :). Then, once you're happy that you and horse are communicating well using the bitless, just remove the bit.

quirky

Visit site
I initially went bitless due to teeth issues but am still like this 3 years on.
It works, she's happy, I'm in control and I see little point in putting a bit back in.
I wouldn't even have contemplated it with my previous horse but would certainly not rule it out with any further horses I may have.

Dumbo

Visit site
How about setting up a bridle with your regular bit plus a bitless noseband and two sets of reins? Then you can ride off the bitless bridle and still - from your YO's point of view be riding as normal :). Then, once you're happy that you and horse are communicating well using the bitless, just remove the bit.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking the same thing but my horse's fear of the bit has suddenly gotten so much worse that I spent nearly an hour fighting him today with no success! In the end I thought I was being very cruel trying to force the bit into his mouth when he clearly can't stand it. I know most people wouldn't have given up and blamed it on naughtiness but I just can't ride him again with a bit. It's destined for the bin!

I can't decide whether to try the orbitless noseband or flower hackamore first. We hack mostly, half the time on the road. I don't 'school' as such but occasionally trot around the arena, never do anything fancy though.
Which is best?

Do I need to do long reining/groundwork with them first?

Barefoot Endurance

Visit site
It totally depends on your horse to how much ground work you will need to do, when I went bitless I just rode in a halter as I just wanted to bin the bit! She was great so never looked back. I think the orbital and flower are quite similar in action. I'd give it a go, you've got a better horse than you think. ;) x

Dumbo

Visit site
Thanks.. I've since decided to order a Matrix bridle from bitlessandbarefoot.com so I can play around and find out what suits him. Quite like the sidepull option but I won't know until I try! I'm going to ride him in a headcollar later this week and see how it goes, might long rein him in it first though :)

dressedkez

Visit site
Similar reply to the the shoeless one earlier..........Horses have been controlled via a bit for many millenia so why change it now??? Possibly learn how to use a bit, which can be very humane if used properly. Merry Xmas! xx

Dumbo

Visit site
Are there any without nose pressure?

Don't think so. Well there is probably a sort that exerts more pressure onto the poll.. the Dr Cooks one works as a whole head hug so that might work for your horse?
I'm still very new to bitless :eek:

claribella

Visit site
Nah you should speak to suze from bitlessandbarefoot.com. She's really clued up on I all.

Let me kno how you get on with the matrix. I just ordered the scawbrig from there because budget didn't stretch to a matrix. What colour did you get?

Dumbo

Visit site
Agree that's Suze is worth talking too!
I was tempted by the scrawbrig but not sure if it'll be strong enough so the matrix might be best for me so I can try the sidepull and hackamore too. Haven't ordered it yet. Need to measure my horse tomorrow but I'll go for black :) Think it takes about 4 weeks before it'll arrive but I'll let you know how I get on! Horse puts up a huge fight to bridle now - gotten much worse so will ride in a headcollar until then (feeling confident!)

claribella

Visit site
Boring lol! Ah I'm sure you won't regret it! I went for electric blue aft spending tonnes of weeks deliberating over which type and which colour. What swung it for me was the fact that it was in the used section so was cheaper. Lol.

weebarney

Visit site
Similar reply to the the shoeless one earlier..........Horses have been controlled via a bit for many millenia so why change it now??? Possibly learn how to use a bit, which can be very humane if used properly. Merry Xmas! xx

Why would people want to try bitless? Well I'd say its either because they are having problems with their horse in a bitted bridle for whatever reason or they simply curious to the possible advantages and striving to do better and improve. Humans would never have rode a horse if it hadnt been for some who looked at it other than a food source and thought 'I think i'll try and tame that'. There no doubt would have been onlookers thinking 'why waste your time? just eat it, thats what we've always done'.
I think its brilliant that people are prepared to go against the norm and try something new to them.

Dumbo

Visit site
I know but I'm fussy about things matching!
Electric blue is cool! Do you ride bitless already? I'm really hoping it suits my horse!

Tinypony

Visit site

Of course, horses have been "controlled" without bits as well going back through the ages, and it's still common nowl. I sometimes think that we are taught a very narrow approach to horsemanship and riding in this country. It's the only explanation I can think of for why we tend to be so unaware of what is regarded as routine in other parts of the world. Possibly an easy way to get a different view would be to look up bosal riding and training.

Waffles

Visit site
Are there any without nose pressure? Because of Ned's nose, I can't really use a bitless (the two I've tried) without him eventually getting cross with it.
Yeah - the Dr Cook doesn't have nose pressure - it's a sort of figure 8 thing which works on the poll.

Visit site
Why would people want to try bitless? Well I'd say its either because they are having problems with their horse in a bitted bridle for whatever reason or they simply curious to the possible advantages and striving to do better and improve. Humans would never have rode a horse if it hadnt been for some who looked at it other than a food source and thought 'I think i'll try and tame that'. There no doubt would have been onlookers thinking 'why waste your time? just eat it, thats what we've always done'.
I think its brilliant that people are prepared to go against the norm and try something new to them.

I totally agree!! I'm a newer rider (2.5 yrs now) and only went to a Dr Cook's Bitless bridle bc my new horse took full advantage of me being a green rider and would spook and run off with me sometimes. He ran thru all the bits I tried and my inexperienced heavy hands only made things worse by hurting his mouth when he acted up. I read the Dr Cook's website and went for it 2 yrs ago and have not looked back! I LOVE riding bitless and so does my horse! I have to say though that after 2 yrs I am thinking of trying a Micklem or something with a little more oomph. Once in a blue moon he will still spook and try and run off (I'm talking once every 6-8 months) and if I don't circle him right away and stop him, he may get a few strides in but I WILL get him to slow down/stop. I also prefer to ride bareback altho I have a very comfy County dressage saddle I will use a few times a month. So, does anyone have any experience with a Micklem or does anyone have any suggestions about what bitless bridle would have better brakes that Dr Cook's? Yes, it takes a little more work to steer and brake sometimes but IMO a small price to pay for riding my horse w/o a bit in his mouth. I ride alone mostly, we gait, canter, gallop bitless..now I am starting to ride with others and my alpha boy likes to be in the lead, we are working on riding with others.
anyone have any suggestions?
thanks in advance :)

Dumbo

Visit site
So, does anyone have any experience with a Micklem or does anyone have any suggestions about what bitless bridle would have better brakes that Dr Cook's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ7aJkVWRMo - video on the Micklem

I think the english hackamore is known to have good brakes, the longer the shanks the more pressure exerted but can be just as severe as a bit!
I haven't ridden mine bitless yet but have ordered a sidepull from www.bitlessandbarefoot.com. Don't think brakes are amazing on this but my horse isn't strong so I think I'll be fine :)
Maybe contact Suze on the website and she'll give you lots of advice :)

Ellen Durow

Visit site
The horse I loan is bitless, she is in a Dr Cooks (alike!) at the moment, prior to this she was in a Hackamore, she's calmer now so the Dr Cooks type is fine (touch wood) but used to be quite nappy and I wouldn't have had a chance of stopping her spinning for home in it - the Hackamore was pretty strong when necessary and is quite severe if used incorrectly

Good luck - you can hire bridles from The Bitless bridle centre I think (or have them on sale or return)

You can also hire Micklems to try to - they look interesting xx
A friend has used a Hackamore and a Dr Cook and speaks highly of the latter.

Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ7aJkVWRMo - video on the Micklem

I think the english hackamore is known to have good brakes, the longer the shanks the more pressure exerted but can be just as severe as a bit!
I haven't ridden mine bitless yet but have ordered a sidepull from www.bitlessandbarefoot.com. Don't think brakes are amazing on this but my horse isn't strong so I think I'll be fine :)
Maybe contact Suze on the website and she'll give you lots of advice :)

Thank you for the Micklem video link...I am really intrigued now by this bitless bridle and I think I am going to get one!
My friend has a hackamore with the long shanks...it is so heavy, I don't think I'd like it on my horse, he may lose trust in me going to something so severe...but I may try it out in the arena. So far I am leaning towards the Micklem..I'll hang on to my Dr Cook's too :)

Alyth

Visit site

This post really made me laugh!! How many threads are there from people wanting to know what stronger bit they can use as their horse bolts, or doesn't respond, or is uncontrollable???!!!! I have ridden all my horses bitless since 1998 and I feel I have far more 'control' than I ever had in a bit.....getting the horse to understand what you are asking on the ground first and then transferring it to the saddle works really well for me!!! Even babies!!!! Horses automatic system starts to try and digest anything that is put in their mouths....and that includes bits. And most bits are designed to hurt - in the belief that it will 'control' the horse.....even the simple snaffle we have always been told is the mildest bit possible will hit the horse on the roof of his mouth......and the mouth is the most sensitive part of the body. The trouble is that people believe what they are told without questioning any aspect at all. We accept the most ridiculous ideas from someone who says them with conviciton!! We need to question everything....BITS DO NOT CONTROL HORSES!!!!!

Visit site
Hello Alyth and thank you for one of the very best pro- bitless statements I have EVER read! Very well stated!
I always believed that it is not whats in the horses mouth that controls him but the trust and leadership on the ground and in the saddle that does
Is anyone else in here from Chicago?
:)