Riding bridleless.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
How do people do this? ? I'm 100% sure I would literally poo my pants if I tried. I know, I know, reins aren't for control and seat aids and all that whatnot but oh my actual, no handbrake for emergencies? I have no idea what I would do with my hands (bar grab me some mane or possibly pray...)

I'm only asking because I just saw a video on Facebook filmed from on board while bridleless (casually walking across a stubble field!) and I had to stop watching because the bottom was dropping out of my stomach in the same way it does when I watch videos from the perspective of people mountain biking along ridiculous ridgelines with vertical drops either side... ?

Am I a wimp? Do I just not have a special, magical unicorn enough relationship with my beasties? Or are these bridleless people crazy? Or actually involved in witchcraft?

I'd genuinely love to be brave enough/trust my horses enough/a good enough horse woman to try it but I'm failing massively in all counts so of course it fascinates me!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
How do people do this? ? I'm 100% sure I would literally poo my pants if I tried. I know, I know, reins aren't for control and seat aids and all that whatnot but oh my actual, no handbrake for emergencies? I have no idea what I would do with my hands (bar grab me some mane or possibly pray...)

I'm only asking because I just saw a video on Facebook filmed from on board while bridleless (casually walking across a stubble field!) and I had to stop watching because the bottom was dropping out of my stomach in the same way it does when I watch videos from the perspective of people mountain biking along ridiculous ridgelines with vertical drops either side... ?

Am I a wimp? Do I just not have a special, magical unicorn enough relationship with my beasties? Or are these bridleless people crazy? Or actually involved in witchcraft?

I'd genuinely love to be brave enough/trust my horses enough/a good enough horse woman to try it but I'm failing massively in all counts so of course it fascinates me!

I'm completely with you here.

Equi

Visit site
Its not something i could do on my boy, but then he is not very well schooled. On a horse that is trained to do it, its probably much like riding normally...they just learn to listen to the legs and seat rather than a headpiece. An alternative is to just work on a super duper long rein and teach your horse to use the legs and seat more than the bit...which i think most horses should be able to pick up. Its actually really helpful for balance training (for human) not relying on the reins. Im thinking back to the old days of riding school when it was a given that you had to jump with jesus arms from about 3 lessons in lol

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I sh&t my pants when I ride bareback, so bridleless would be a no for sure. I have never had a horse that I trusted enough to behave to go bridleless, and that isn't a lack of training or manners, that's just that they're hot or spooky and I can't use a side door exit in an emergency as I don't bounce. Especally not from an 18hh+ which is what I have mostly had! I often knotted my reins and schooled in walk and trot with no bridle input, as it was a good exercise for my seat I think, but they were always there in an emergency, and it was only in the school.
I watch those videos with a little envy though as I would love to be able to.

Widgeon

Visit site
I remember at pony club camp our instructor had us remove the bridles of all but the lead horse. No one had any problems despite our concerns. It did give us more confidence in our horses. Probably not allowed under elf and safety nowadays.

Just a hunch but I think this would probably work much better when the horses are "in a herd" - my horse is bravest and most relaxed when we're out with a little group of about half a dozen. The herd stays together and even if one or more spooks at something they don't show any inclination to actually go anywhere. However when I'm hacking out with just one other person (as I normally do) he's noticeably more alert and more likely to execute sideways manouvres.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Yes. I've mostly always been happy to drop the reins, in a school and ride around without them... especially in walk. MrPF was doing archery on MrT this summer so was cantering with dropped reins. I think I'm good enough that I'm not relying on reins for balance and in fact most control too. But the idea of not having them at all makes my stomach swoop!

HorseyTee

Visit site
We've taken my Welshie up the lane and back in nothing but a headcollar and lead rope before, which were just in case he needed grabbing. But he is pretty lazy and good on voice commands and slight squeezes, and not fussed at all with traffic, and it was a quiet lane with nearly no traffic.
Wouldn't do it on a road or proper hack just in case.

Mero

Visit site
I think it helps if you view it as a discipline, like someone who can jump a course of big XC fences or do an advanced dressage test, its just a progression in training from riding in a headcollar. There probably are some magical witchcraft people who just hop on and go but they probably have a nicely schooled horse as a foundation. I do a lot of bridleless riding but it all comes from a foundation of strong groundwork and liberty work. So my horse knows that a touch on the side of the neck means move away from that touch. On the ground initially that started inhand with a halter and rope to be able to guide him away from the pressure if he didn't understand and build up til you remove the halter and rope and just work on the touch (maybe with a neckrope in case you have a miscommunication). Then from on top I might start with the same principle, that a touch on the neck means move away. He already knows that from the ground, so when you add in body weight as well its a pretty simple transition to understanding it ridden. But I'll start with normal reins to start with so that i can give a direct cue if I really needed to. Then once it's reliable without the reins I take them away and just use a neck rope. Then make the pressure from a touch on that lighter and lighter until you can almost 'touch' the horse by 'pushing' energy from your hand when its 6 inches away from the neck, especially when you add the body cue too. So that's your turning.

Half halts I build on the neck rope (whilst having the back up of proper reins to start with), which helps me with collection and getting the horse off its forehand. I'll often try to train a strong clicker cue for halt so the horse knows it off the voice as well as the body, and then I have a neck rope for if they really don't get it. Rein back is mostly body position and/or voice (because they know it from liberty work).

For the rest its just re-learning how the horse learns a cue, so figuring out how the horse might understand the correct flexion for half pass or traverse for example. And because I'm no pro, that bit is very much trial and error for me at the moment, i'm working on teaching them at liberty first, but I might actually be better trying these from on top.

I like horses who are hot and sensitive but not strong or bull headed which helps a lot, they are generally horses who love to learn.

I would always have a bitless bridle on out hacking, for safety and insurance reasons, but where I can I will work on the principles of bitless training out hacking, and just hold the reins so it looks like I'm being normal :)

I do think its difficult if you participate in a number of disciplines to make time to school for bitless riding, because it does take extra time and adaptation, but I think it can gel nicely with other disciplines once established as it can help prevent some of the drawbacks of riding like reins. For me that was that i tried to do too much, I would fiddle and faff with the contact. Once I took the reins away my horses started to go better in some ways, so it taught me which aspects of their ridden performance was caused by my hands. They then get a chance to find their own balance a bit. You can get some really nice postural work if you get it right.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I've ridden my horse in a neck ring before. Without one might work too. I'll only try this with this particular horse, and if I'm feeling it. If I'm not confident in it, I won't do it.

I think I feel comfortable on him because I've had him a few years, been his main rider since nearly day 1, and he's incredibly sensitive to my aids and body.

I started riding him in the neck ring with the bridle on, but not touching the reins and getting him used to gentle commands should I need to use it. Then took of the bridle and off we went.

Sparky Lily

Visit site
Many years ago I attended a TTeam workshop with Sarah Fisher, which ended with the bridle being taken off. We managed a bit of trot and negotiated a “maze” made out of poles in walk. It was a very safe environment in a school and I did have a neck strap. Nevertheless, I have always had confidence issues and tend to be heavy handed, so it was a big thing for me. It was wonderful.
Like others, I have knotted the reins in lessons sometimes, to great benefit.
I don’t ride any more, but drive occasionally, so the issue does not arise now.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I've ridden bridleless in a school and would give it a go in a secure field, but it's certainly not something I'd dare to try out on a hack ?
It's definitely worth trying with knotted reins to check how responsive they are to the seat/voice before making the plunge though ?
I've hacked out in just a headcollar plenty of times, but I would worry about having nothing, not least in case we part company and someone needs to catch the pony!

Peglo

Visit site
If our ponies were up the road (its grass) part of the field we would sprint up the field, Jump on and gallop down to the paddock with just a mane to hold onto. it was always at gallop as that’s what Peggy decided but that was the desired speed ? Don’t think I will have another pony I’d trust as much to do that. She is a super pony. if I could still do it on Peggy I likely would but it’s certainly not the control and understanding these people have.

SheriffTruman

Visit site
Does a neck rope count? I've ridden several horses in that. Two of them I even found nicer going in the neck rope compared to the (bitless) bridle, more relaxed, and more back-to-front movement. Also have jumped this way, results may have been varying ;)

If I trust the horse, I trust it. If it wants to run, no bridle will stop it imo.

ETA a neck rope to me still feels like a way to control and steer. Would love to ride completely bridleless. Will certainly do this after my youngster is backed and ready.

paddy555

Visit site
Or are these bridleless people crazy?

not sure,, I'll leave that up to you to decide. I first removed my bridle on a TTeam workshop, this was with a US trainer I imagine in a similar way to the Sarah Fisher mention above.

I rode daily on my arab with just a neck rope. `Happy to give up the bridle but I wouldn't give up the saddle :D.
We went round the roads and for miles over the open moorland with no problems. I jumped my first horse like this.

Gave it up because I realised if we parted company no one was going to be able to lead him unless they understood the neck rope was their control.

My biggest regret was that I didn't get any pics. I did this daily and it was just so normal that you don't photograph everyday normality. This was in the days before mobiles when you had to go and fetch the camera. Really sad about that.
You find with many horses that when the bridle comes off the horse changes and becomes very responsible. It doesn't happen if you just tie the reins up or even as much with a headcollar but nothing on the head changes the horse's perception and the relationship between you. .

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Omg. Even the pictures give me the heebie jeebies. ? I do wish I could be that good/brave. But there's no way. I don't know why because I try to ride from my seat AND toddle along on a loose rein a fair amount including trotting on the buckle end and I know MrT is fine to canter without reins. But just not having anything there... ??

palo1

Visit site
Omg. Even the pictures give me the heebie jeebies. ? I do wish I could be that good/brave. But there's no way. I don't know why because I try to ride from my seat AND toddle along on a loose rein a fair amount including trotting on the buckle end and I know MrT is fine to canter without reins. But just not having anything there... ??

It's ok. Riding without a bridle isn't compulsory! But it is fun and you can do it/teach it in tiny increments. Just pop tack on then try totally dropping the reins for a minute or so - in a safe space of course, and build from that. It is great for developing your seat and intentional aids. You can hack out or school in full tack but if you pop a neck strap on you can practise bridleless for short periods till you might decide to just try in the field, in walk without a bridle or just in a headcollar etc. It's fun, not meant to be frightening and you don't have to do it at all if you don't fancy it!! In my experience horses are generally very well behaved (unless you try something too exciting too soon) and they like it too.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I wouldn't jump on any (most!) horses and try it, but I think if they have solid foundations like @Mero @paddy555 have already said, it's just a progression of that.

I've not done so yet, but hoping to very soon. I started horsemanship lessons learning *cough* Parelli *cough* and pony never took to learning to steering from carrot sticks.

But, I can school, hack and jump in a headcollar and neck rope. I only don't hack regularly in a headcollar or bitless as on longer rides the snacking is a bit too tempting for the pony ?

I've moved away from the P methods & my instructor is adamant I can ride bridleless without carrot sticks, we just need to get our steering more reliable from my seat & legs at trot and canter. So hopefully 2022 will see us achieve it!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I did it at a Tellington-Touch clinic. I had a mare I wasn't getting on with very well, she was very grumpy in the stable, i.e. kicked and pulled faces, although she was good to ride.

I went to the TT clinic which is body work - the Tellington-Touch, which she loved - and at the end we were riding round - in the indoor school - with no bridle, just a ring around their necks. Horse was good as gold, stopped with lightest pressure on the ring, went left, right and I think we even did a little jump. It was the turning point with her, as I discovered that she didn't want to do anything nasty or try to get me off or run away.

I had witnessed this at a clinic, where the horse did a perfect 4 foot halt without the bridle and with the neck ring!

It is an amazing feeling when they do what you want and you are not using the bit - but I think I would prefer to be in some sort of enclosed area.

Taliesan

Visit site
I ride bridleless a lot!

It was something I always wanted to do but my hand was somewhat forced when all my tack, bar my neckrope (as it was in my car and not at the yard) was stolen just over two years ago. I was determined not to let a lack of saddle and bridle stop me so I just hopped on Jack in the arena and we took it from there.

Initially getting simple things like left and right in the neckrope were huge achievements - now I can run through a prelim dressage test, complete a course of poles on the floor (this will be jumps eventually but we are still working on impulse control when the fences go up - the point is I can steer him around them in the right order) and cantering / galloping around fields.

I find that riding bridleless really enhances the work with the bridle - the neckrope has helped Jack understand some new concepts that he was really struggling to get in the bridle and it has improved my ability to be more effective with my seat and leg aids.

I mainly teach Jack with clicker training and that has massively helped when it comes to riding with no bridle. He also knows vocal cues for left, right, stop, steady up (very useful when he contemplates engaging turbo mode and I have no desire for this to happen) and speed up. The vocal instructions are excellent as a secondary cues to what I am asking with my body and the neckrope. I have to say that sometimes I am tempted to remove the neckrope, when I am schooling him at home, to see how far we can get just on vocal and seat cues.

My emergency handbrake is my click sound - Jack is so ingrained with this meaning food that he brings himself to a halt and awaits his treat. I have also very, very heavily reinforced my "whoa" cue so he knows that, when I say "whoa" he knows that a mega jackpot of treats is incoming. In short, I have made it so that stopping when asked is very much worth his time. To be fair, even when I am hacking him out in the bridle I use my vocal "whoa" cue and the click sound - I rarely ever touch the reins to bring him to a halt.

I've had Jack for just over six years now and both of us know each other inside out. I trust him absolutely and I would like to think that he feels the same way about me. I am also very good at reading situations and managing the environment so that we are set up to succeed at whatever it is we are doing.

I must add that I would not put either of us in a situation where we could get into trouble from riding without a bridle.

This is me and Jack at Sand Bay beach just over a year ago. Do excuse his slightly grumpy expression, the wind was blowing the rain directly into his face - he was not very impressed!
6396 small.jpg

This is Jack with turbo mode engaged galloping up one of the fields on the farm where he lives. We'd already charged up this field once before (with the bridle on) and he was really up for doing it again.
Layland 1 - small.jpg

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Amazing! So brave. And so much trust. I'm definitely lacking in both with my two. The Beast particularly, I think even with lots of training she would consider going turbo without permission.... she loves a zoom.

I think the thing I don't have is the trust in forwards motion, I don't know if that makes sense. But that's the best words I can come up with.

This is really interesting to me to think about because even if I never plan to take the bridle off I think me strong vertigo type reaction to the bridleless video illuminates something that is really holding me and my horses back in schooling and just general relationship...

Thank you to everyone for your descriptions of your bridleless endeavours. This is giving me some real insight.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Last edited:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have one I can do it with. Just train them to pressure in the arena and then move on. I find them less spooky hacking which is interesting. It’s pretty safe in an arena to start them off. I can jump a course of jumps but I find they tend to lope along a bit too much so don’t jump that big.

greenbean10

Visit site
I do it and even jump a lot with no bridle.

I didn't train my horse although he's very well behaved. Just got on and gave it a go! I know him very well though and know the worst thing he would do is just not stop - would never bronc, buck etc.

The hardest bit for me is stopping after our first trot around the school, jumping is surprisingly easy!

paddy555

Visit site

if anyone wants to try this is a nice little video. (start at round 47 seconds in)

if works better to start with if you use a neck RING rather than a neck rope as it is a lot more rigid. (google horse neck ring lots of piccys)
being more rigid it is easier to teach the turns and also easier to move it up and down the horse's neck.

it may be a strange comparison but removing the bridle is in a way similar to removing the shoes. The horse can move differently and better. More freely both physically and mentally.

if you don't have trust in forward motion PF have you taught the emergency stop? teach it and at one word the horse stops dead whatever. Once you know it will stop dead you know you can stop the forward motion.

Last edited: