Riding Club - Dressage

Shoei

Visit site
Hi Guys,

Can you talk to me about Riding Club and dressage competitions.

I compete BD but really fancy doing some RC, however, I'm struggling to get my brain around it. I've found a club locally that seem pretty active, but I'm unsure about qualifications, teams etc????

Thanks

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
There is winter and summer champs qualifiers - individuals and teams.

The Summer ones are at Lincoln and winter ones keep moving but might be arena uk. It’s all on BRC website.

The winter one is split into two novice and intermediate. This is due to winter numbers/daylight/space.

The novice runs prelim/novice
The intermediate runs Novice to Medium might even do an advanced medium.

There is also dressage to music champs. I think that is now at Aintree as just changed. But I don’t really pay enough attention.

To qualify for the champs you have to attend the area qualifiers.

If you jump but not very big then there is combined training champs runs at 75 and 85cm at Aston Le Walls.

humblepie

Visit site
They used to do some non music direct entry classes at the Dressage to Music champs as we won one and got a rather nice sash. It is nice to do as a team thing for your riding club.

LEC

www.youtube.com
Also just to add the combined training heights have now changed to 70cm and 80cm.

Dressage to music after the champs this year in October is moving to a winter champs and the combined training and challenge (bit like Blenhiem eventer challenge) is moving to a summer qualifier and Autumn champs.
It pisses me off that the window for the arena eventing is what it is yet the champs are now in June.

Tbh BRC pisses me off! No accounts ever as all within BHS.

I also wish they would extend the CT as 70/80 is very restrictive. Be nice to have 90/100 as well.

shortstuff99

Visit site
It pisses me off that the window for the arena eventing is what it is yet the champs are now in June.

Tbh BRC pisses me off! No accounts ever as all within BHS.

I also wish they would extend the CT as 70/80 is very restrictive. Be nice to have 90/100 as well.
the window for arena eventing is 1st Oct until a month before the champs so is a longer window now.

You can get accounts from BHS for BRC but it is not easy, I have done it once before

They don't get the numbers for 90/100 which is why they dropped it.

LEC

www.youtube.com
the window for arena eventing is 1st Oct until a month before the champs so is a longer window now.

You can get accounts from BHS for BRC but it is not easy, I have done it once before

They don't get the numbers for 90/100 which is why they dropped it.
We have requested accounts before but I will tell our area sec they need to be asked for from the BHS then.

We run a 90/1m as an additional and get the numbers in our area so the event will make money as otherwise it’s a huge loss maker as a qualifier 🤷‍♂️

Arena eventing was supposed to be a winter thing but clearly not now and I still don’t get the point of having challenge. It’s another event we have massive problems running as very expensive and we have a very narrow window due to ground and other events.

Britestar

Visit site
Also just to add the combined training heights have now changed to 70cm and 80cm.

Dressage to music after the champs this year in October is moving to a winter champs and the combined training and challenge (bit like Blenhiem eventer challenge) is moving to a summer qualifier and Autumn champs.

Very sad about DTM move as now becomes unfeasible for us at that time of year.

Will dance our socks off this year as a final farewell.

Shoei

Visit site
Very sad about DTM move as now becomes unfeasible for us at that time of year.

Will dance our socks off this year as a final farewell.

Sorry, does this mean DTM will only be ran over the winter? I'm just thinking this is the opposite to BD who don't have any DTM at Winter Areas.

shortstuff99

Visit site
Sorry, does this mean DTM will only be ran over the winter? I'm just thinking this is the opposite to BD who don't have any DTM at Winter Areas.
Yes they are running it over winter, they did it at request of a lot of members who wanted amateur DTM over winter as they had the pet plan series for the summer but none in winter.

Edited to say this is just for the qualifiers and champs, clubs can run DTM at their own shows whenever they like!

Shoei

Visit site
Thanks that's useful. I'll have to have a look when the local clubs competitions are... although winter... urgh winter... yukky weather lol

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
BRC have now moved both DTM and Intro champs to winter so 4 out of 5 dressage champs are now being run in the winter with the champs being held in March and April. WHY????. This year the intro and DTM champs are in Oct and between then and beginning of February area qualifiers have to be held ready for the early March champs. Two championships in 5 months for the same competition. If lucky enough to qualify for various champs do you really want to trail all the way to Arena UK twice in 3 weeks in March. I do find BRC change rules etc just for the sake of it.

LEC

www.youtube.com
BRC have now moved both DTM and Intro champs to winter so 4 out of 5 dressage champs are now being run in the winter with the champs being held in March and April. WHY????. This year the intro and DTM champs are in Oct and between then and beginning of February area qualifiers have to be held ready for the early March champs. Two championships in 5 months for the same competition. If lucky enough to qualify for various champs do you really want to trail all the way to Arena UK twice in 3 weeks in March. I do find BRC change rules etc just for the sake of it.
BRC also NEVER discuss anything with the membership. Our Area rep says they are superfluous really unlike old days where did at least have a voice.

shortstuff99

Visit site
Competitors asked for the change to DTM to coincide with BD and area festivals.

clubs also wanted a change to the combined challenge date as it was too hard to find venues to run on grass over the winter period so it has moved to the October dates so they also had to shift the DTM.

I don't think the intermediate champs was supposed to be at Arena UK but there was issues with the venue and so was a later swap hence the less favourable date.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Competitors asked for the change to DTM to coincide with BD and area festivals.

clubs also wanted a change to the combined challenge date as it was too hard to find venues to run on grass over the winter period so it has moved to the October dates so they also had to shift the DTM.

I don't think the intermediate champs was supposed to be at Arena UK but there was issues with the venue and so was a later swap hence the less favourable date.
I would love to know how "competitors asked". As a team manager I've never been made aware of how to comment. Changes re DTM notified in mid August. This leaves very little time to find a suitable venue ie a 20 X 60, a judge and only 4 months available ie Oct to beginning of February with all the other already pre arranged qualifiers.

shortstuff99

Visit site
I would love to know how "competitors asked". As a team manager I've never been made aware of how to comment. Changes re DTM notified in mid August. This leaves very little time to find a suitable venue ie a 20 X 60, a judge and only 4 months available ie Oct to beginning of February with all the other already pre arranged qualifiers.
They go via their Area Rep. The changes to the DTM came out last year.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
They go via their Area Rep. The changes to the DTM came out last year.
Is there a consultation process for such changes?. Our area circulated an email in mid August which came from BRC. I attend Area meetings and didn't hear of any changes until August. I just feel it's unfair to have 4 of the 5 dressage champs as winter events and the champs within a 6 week period.

shortstuff99

Visit site
Is there a consultation process for such changes?. Our area circulated an email in mid August which came from BRC. I attend Area meetings and didn't hear of any changes until August. I just feel it's unfair to have 4 of the 5 dressage champs as winter events and the champs within a 6 week period.
Yes they have a committee where you take these changes to, this change in champs was told to area reps last year and then was told again in August when they sent out the new schedule templates.

LEC

www.youtube.com
Area reps get minimal input. It’s mostly the individual committees by sport who decide on changes. BRC is a top down organisation now and not a bottom up. I have been involved at Area level a very long time and BRC are terrible for sitting in ivory towers.

Btw we made another attempt at BRC finances to no avail. Our big complaint is that they keep sticking up prelim prices and we have no idea if this is justified.