Riding Club Horse and Riding Horse Classes?

CobLogic

Visit site
Hi there,

Probably a silly question, but can anyone please tell me the difference between the above classes?

One follows the other at a show I would like to attend, but now I'm not sure which to enter? Or if I should enter both?

Also - I believe the class would involve a display and a course of jumps. If anyone could give me anymore detail, I would be most grateful.

Thanks so much!

minesadouble

Visit site
At local level riding club horse is aimed at an 'allrounder' type horse and usually involves a jump incorporated into the individual show. I know they have this class at Search for a Star and think it is a bit more involved at that level.

A Riding Horse class is more of a straight 'showing' class. Riding Horses are often full or nearly full TBs at County level and are somewhere between a Show Hack and a Hunter, real quality animals.
At local level they tend to be more of a mix!

gummybear

Visit site
In a Riding Club horse class the horse is judged on overall suitability for all riding club activies. It should be ridden in a plain snaffle bridle (check the schedule as often says no spurs also) with no martingale. The judge generally will not ride. You will be requried to do a short show and jump 2 or 3 fences (nothing too big or scarey normally!). You may be asked to strip the horse to judge conformation also, but not always in this class.

The Riding Horse class will be judged on manners, conformation and ride - think lighter weight hunter class without the fences. Generally horses are shown in double bridles (although at local level a snaffle bridle will suffice) with a coloured brow band. You will normally all ride round together, the judge will ride each horse and the horses will then be stripped to look at conformation. You would not normally be required to do an individual show if the judge is riding. You will not be required to jump in this class.

LMuirEDT

www.horsedentistry.org.uk
DEFINITELY A DIFFERENCE!!! I made this mistake at my very first show, took my full ID into a Riding Horse class (thinking riding horse - riding club, must be about the same but with different name) and after the first bit the judge came up to me and said 'by the way I love your horse but you are going to come last as you are in the wrong class!'. I had to do the whole thing as she wouldn't let me escape but never making that mistake again - v embarassing! I'm still not sure what a 'riding horse' is but the impression i got was a chunkier TB type. My parents wont let me live it down!

Scheherezade

Visit site
I *think* (it's what helps me remember it all) riding horse originated from the old days when the master/gentry would ride into town on their best animals. It's not as light as a hack because the horse wouldn't be required to do as much long-distance travelling, but it is very good looking and 'fancy' as they would be riding into town and so wanted to impress.

So it sits between a heavy set hunter, and a fine-limbed hack :)

As others have said, Riding club horse is just an 'allrounder', looking for a horse that would be good in a riding club i.e. BHS teams :)

CobLogic

Visit site
Thank so much everyone - I really appreciate your advice :)

I will be riding a 15.2 medium weight, traditional cob (with a slight hint of some breeding in there, but nothing confirmed)- so will definately now enter the Riding Club Horse class.

Still not sure about the Riding Horse - what do you think?

Gummybear - you mention a coloured brow band... would I need to get one of these?

We normally do our dressage classes in a hanging cheek snaffle - would this be allowed?

Apologies for the additional questions and thanks again.

Scheherezade

Visit site
Would not be suitable for riding horse, which are typically chunky TBs and part-bred TBs.

Riding horse is more about the 'looks' whereas riding club is performance and ability.

Sessle

Visit site
You'd be fine for riding club horse, but I wouldn't enter riding horse. This is basically a class for TB types, that are finer than hunters, but more workmanlike than a hack. As Gummybear said, judged on manners, confirmation and ride. At local level I doubt the judge would ride, I enter both the horses in my siggy in riding horse classes to give you an idea of the type! Good Luck at the show though and have fun :)

gummybear

Visit site
Definately wouldnt enter a riding horse class with a cob type - too chunky really. Although - Sessle - I dont think I have ever entered a Riding Horse class at local level where the judge hasnt ridden - always be prepared for the judge to ride.

Sessle

Visit site
Well, I stand corrected :) All the local shows around here just get the riders to do individual shows with one judge on the ground.....only the agric's and county shows that have ride judges around here! But yup, be prepared for every eventuality :)

CobLogic

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone - Following your advice, I've entered Riding Club Horse and not Riding Horse. You've saved me from entering the wrong class :) Thanks lots!

posie_honey

Visit site
ooh v useful thread - i'v entered riding horse and leuisure horse on sunday - was wondering what that meant! lol
i'm also doing ridden hunters but we don't do that great in that as she's a little short and not really chunky enough - so we're prob more riding horse type anyway!
only prob - i was going to use my WH's/RH's double... so a v plain workman like double.... do i need a coloured browband?!

Sessle

Visit site
Coloured browbands are correct for riding horse, but for hunter use a plain browband!

I hope we're going to see lots of piccies of all these show horses :D And Good Luck to you both :)