Riding / competing in glasses??

Irishdiamond

Visit site
I need glasses as I would definitely ride into the wall without them. I tried wearing my glasses once and found they slipped the whole lesson which was so distracting so I now wear contacts but find them so uncomfortable, they blur up and I have to take them out straight after the lesson. I've heard of the sports glasses band but can't seem to find them

sasquatch

Visit site
I'm very late to this thread!

I am shortsighted and hate riding in glasses, partly for the fogging up and rain and partly because I don't find it comfortable.

I've always wondered about cross country with glasses, and what jockeys who need glasses do if they don't/can't wear contacts. I'd be interested if I could find something inbetween glasses and contacts as well because any dust or dirt can make my contacts go a bit fuzzy and when I have hayfever or am being a bit allergic to horses they can go fuzzy as well.

I wonder if something similar to the rugby goggles would work? I know they're designed to be safe for rugby so are considered safe for any big hit or rugby impact, but there's less of a risk of landing face first in rugby as there is with horses. They also seem to fit well under a scrum cap, so I can imagine wouldn't feel too bulky under a riding hat?

minesadouble

Visit site
Didn't Andrew Nicholson used to XC in glasses? Many moons ago when I was teaching I remember a young lad coming over a pony's head and his glasses going into the bridge of his nose - there was a LOT of blood involved so the rugby goggles sound like a good idea to me if they are suitable.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I can't do contacts so ride in my normal glasses. I've done everything including XC in them and never had a problem - even when I went over the horses head and broke my fall with my face!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
there are loads of sports eyewear options if people want them these days. Goggles don't always work well for the higher prescriptions but safe sports 'glasses' with an added rear strap are available too.

Jockeys just get prescription googles, the same as skiers/swimmers etc.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I ride in glasses. I tried contacts for a while but one day the horse in front kicked mud up into my eye and I decided that glasses were by far the lesser of two evils.