Riding gear for little ones

bex1984

Visit site
My 4 year old keeps stealing my pony ;) this week she's discovered pony games.

She has a riding hat but that's it - wondering where the best place is online for little jods and boots? She's tiny so she's in age 3 and has tiny feet (however, she is big on attitude :D) she'll probably want them in some awful sparkly pink colour.

Also wondering about a back protector for her but not sure if I'll find one to fit, and whether it might affect her balance? She's only walking and trotting and is almost always on the lead rein. Pony is very good but is 14hh and she looks very tiny up there...

abbijay

Visit site
Pony is very good but is 14hh and she looks very tiny up there...

My 3 year olds ride my 18hh Clydesdale, they look TINY! (They do only bobble round in walk with me leading and hubby sidewalking/holding on to them!)

I've been keeping my eyes open for gear but also struggling. Equestrian clearance occasionally have bits of small stuff but so far we just use every day clothes and willies.
For a back protector I would speak to your local saddlery and see if they stock anything and get it fitted by them.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Hy to diddy kids jodh's - I got my son's from equestrian clearance, other brands do sell them a well including Dublin and Harry Hall
Jodh boots do come in diddy sizes - probably worth keeping an eye on some of the showing pages on FB, they're often on there. Regent's start at size 5 http://www.regent-footwear.co.uk/shop/product/junior-steed-infants but at £45 are rather pricey new considering how quickly they get outgrown.

Fiona

Visit site
Shires do really tiny pull on jodhs too.

We got tiny boots off ebay. There are pink too lol...

LO always wears his back protector, childs small or med fit him and he is 5...

Fiona

Shay

Visit site
Shires do pink boots - I think they go down to a child 10? We got loads of stuff - especially competition kit - off ebay. they grow out of things before they wear them out at that stage!

One thing that has changed since my daughter was that small is the advice on hats for the tinies. My daughter always had a skull cap but as I understand it both PC and BHS now say the ultra light hats are better from small children as the weight of a skull cap is disproportionate to the strength of the neck and can actually cause injury. Which does make sense IMO.

The other thing to think about - they can learn to slump inside the BP and the instructor doesn't see it. But the poor posture doesn't allow for core strength to build which then causes problems with the seat later on. My daughter started at about 3 and by 5 was riding show lead rein ponies so a BP wasn't possible. (neither was the skull cap in competition!) But the show producer we used to ride for said she felt over use of the BP at an early stage risked a weaker seat by 7 / 8 when you are going to need a BP if you're jumping etc. Not sure how much truth there is in that - but I do see a lot of kids now who slump inside the BP.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
My daughter has worn a BP since she was 18 months. She's now 7 and producing her own 5yr old section A we've had from a yearling and riding a 13.1 very tricky pony too. She doesn't go near a horse without a hat, BP and gloves. If it's weakened her seat I don't care, my Godfather was a promising SJ until he came off and was stood on by a horse in his late teens which ended his career. BPs weren't around then but they are now and I firmly believe we should utilise them so they are as normal as wearing a hat to the younger generation.

OP shires do tiny chaps and boots. Harryhall XS BP should be small enough. Fouganza also do a tiny one. Have fun shopping :)

bex1984

Visit site
Thanks all.
Her feet are size 6, we've just had loads of trouble buying school shoes as Clarks etc just don't make them that small.
I've been slightly horrified at the price of little jods and boots! I'll check out decathlon and eBay. My gut says she needs a back protector and wearing one is a good habit to get into now.

And then.... She needs a pony! :D

Katastrophy

Visit site
My 3 year olds ride my 18hh Clydesdale, they look TINY! (They do only bobble round in walk with me leading and hubby sidewalking/holding on to them!)

I've been keeping my eyes open for gear but also struggling. Equestrian clearance occasionally have bits of small stuff but so far we just use every day clothes and willies.
For a back protector I would speak to your local saddlery and see if they stock anything and get it fitted by them.

I'm on holiday in a cafe enjoying an hour out from OH and kids, having had a meltdown this morning and just wanted to say that this has made me giggle- the thought of little dots on a Clyde all wearing willies :D

Sorry,

On a serious note, I'm picking bits up 2nd hand as well, but have managed to find some dinky kit locally and on eBay too. Though I'm still persuading OH into letting me have a basket saddle for my Dink, as he's decided that I'm clearly going to strap her onto a Shetland and watch her ride off into the distance. Have pointed out that I will likely have years of that to come, I don't need it sooner than necessary :D

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Thanks all.
Her feet are size 6, we've just had loads of trouble buying school shoes as Clarks etc just don't make them that small.
I've been slightly horrified at the price of little jods and boots! I'll check out decathlon and eBay. My gut says she needs a back protector and wearing one is a good habit to get into now.

And then.... She needs a pony! :D

I've got the pony for sale. I'll throw in jods and a BP :D

Shazzababs

Visit site
I got boots from Sport's direct and the Jods from equestrian clearance for my son.

We don't have a BP Yet, but he will be getting one once he is off the lead rein.

Hoping he stops growing 4" per year now he is 6!

We are on our third hat too cos he seams to grow out of them regularly.

abbijay

Visit site
I'm on holiday in a cafe enjoying an hour out from OH and kids, having had a meltdown this morning and just wanted to say that this has made me giggle- the thought of little dots on a Clyde all wearing willies :D

Oh lordy!! Autocorrect at its worst... They are definitely wearing WELLIES!

MagicMelon

Visit site
My 4yo's been riding a while but I only got proper joddy boots, hacking jacket etc. earlier this year. He's a small 4yo so still needed tiny stuff. I got joddy boots and jods off Equestrian.com (still had to fold up the jods though) and got a hacking jacket off Ebay. So Id suggest those 2 places. Its easier to find girly stuff, harder to find boy horsey stuff!!