Riding hat for a 3 year old?

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
My almost 3 year old daughter is showing an interest in horses and has been offered the chance to ride a friends saint of a shetland whenever she wants.

I want to get her a proper hat that will last her but I'm a bit confused about what to get - I've read some guidance that at such a young age they should simply ride in a bike helmet as the weight of the proper hats is too much for their neck. I was thinking about the polly product hat but that doesn't seem to be as easy to source these days - I've spotted a decatholon alternative but I'm not sure how they compare.

What are the basic safety standards these days for kids hats and can anyone recommend a good one?

cobsarefab

Visit site
I've ridden in skull caps since I was 3. Never did me any harm. I think that if a helmet is designed for equestrian it's going to be better suited to keep you safe but I don't know, just a thought.

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
I agree, the proper skull caps are much sturdier - I've looked at the lightweight ones before and couldn't fathom how that would give any sort of protection.

She will only be wearing it for very short period and only every couple of weeks so I think I might just get her a proper hat although that does mean it would be harder to get her something that will last over time as she grows.

cobsarefab

Visit site
I agree, the proper skull caps are much sturdier - I've looked at the lightweight ones before and couldn't fathom how that would give any sort of protection.

She will only be wearing it for very short period and only every couple of weeks so I think I might just get her a proper hat although that does mean it would be harder to get her something that will last over time as she grows.

You can get some very good skull caps for around £30 if you shop around so as not to break the bank

Shay

Visit site
There are lightweight adjustable helmets which meet current standards -but they are not cheap. You will not be permitted to ride at a riding school unless you have a hat which meets at least PAS015 standard. Virtually none of those you see on decathlon will do.

The Pony Club does recommend that children under 9 use a lighter weight helmet as the neck is not strong enough in a young child to support the additional weight and a fall may result in whiplash type injuries. That said my daughter wore a skull cap from age 3 as that advice had not come out at the time. However I also attended a child faller as a first aider who had in fact broken her neck in a simple "plop off" type fall; landed on her bottom but the weight of the helmet had snapped c2 in a hangman's fracture. (The child was fine - but sitting on the floor holding my hands around her neck to support her head waiting for the air ambulance was the scariest 15 mins of my life!)

It really depends on what type of riding your daughter will be doing. On the lead rein once a week at an RS she is hardly likely to fall off so a suitably priced child skull cap is probably fine. But if she is slight or you think she is going to do more riding then something like the Uvex Exxential (spelling deliberate) or the gatehouse air rider are probably the cheapest lightweight adjustable hats you can get that meet the current minimum standards.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Interesting (scary) post from Shay. I looked for light weight but didn't find any near me that were PAS15 compliant and wasn't confident about my own ability to fit from on-line so went with a well-fitted skull for my one once we got beyond little sit ups whilst held on.

But (within/just after a year?) it is getting a bit snug despite the padding obviously softening up a bit so may get brave about on-line ordering for an adjustable next I guess now we're reaching the heady heights of real lessons... Do people think that is OK?

Mine is quite a sturdy little thing (does other active stuff so is quite well-balanced for inexperience/strong enough to hold self together but I wouldn't like to test the neck too much...

alainax

Visit site
Casco Nori is great. Lightweight, adjustable and meets the safety standard. Not cheap br should last due to being adjustable. It's very lightweight but sturdy too. We had it on our wee guy when he was 9 months. He's 2 now and it still fits well and will for some time.

Shay

Visit site
A good tackshop should be able to fit an adjustable hat just as they do a normal one. You don't have to order online. (Or use the excuse to go to a large horse show... HOYS? YHL? Olympia?) There were no PAS015 compliant adjustable hats for about 2 years but there was such demand that they were brought back.

Not all hats marked VG1 are going to be acceptable in the UK - although I suspect it would take a hat nerd like me to spot that. VG1:1.0.4.0 (2012 - 2014) is acceptable. But VG1 alone isn't. Its the interim standard introduced by the EU to replace BS:1384. It was only supposed to be around for a year or so whilst they thrashed out new standards....