Riding hat in hand luggage?

Flight

Visit site
Hi, maybe a slightly daft question but does any one know if you can take a riding hat in your hand luggage when flying?

Kat

Visit site
I did when I went on a riding holiday, but we flew BA and I think the allowances are bigger. Don't put it in the hold it could get damaged, either by rough treatment or extreme temperature.

I used a soft thin bag and put my normal hand luggage stuff inside the hat so the hat was the biggest part of the bag.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm cabin crew for an airline. Of course you can take it on. If it makes the bag too big put it on your head! Seriously, people bring guitars and wedding dresses etc on all the time.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I did - I didn't want my hat being chucked around in the hold luggage. It was a tight fit, but went in the measuring thing OK,it was BA. It was well packed.

Depends on what style, I suppose, mine was just an ordinary hat, not a high dome velvet one.

Fiagai

Visit site
If its not a cheeky question - how big is your head?

Measure your hat across its narrowest point (from ear to ear in otherwords!)

Check this measurement against hand luggage regulations of whoever you are flying with as there appears to be some variations with different airlines imo

And if it fits and they are xraying it, ask for a printout -- that way you can cheekily check for any damage for Free! (must try that next time I am in the airport :D)

As for whether they allow riding hats to be carried on board - I am not too sure but I seem to rememeber someone carrying their motorcycle helmet on board not that long ago...

Last edited:

Flight

Visit site
Just looked on a website and it says slot is 55cm x 40cm x 20 cm. Don't have a riding hat here at moment but looking at bag I am taking it is well below those sizes and think hat will fit in easily. Do you think there are any restrictions on it for security reasons? They may say its a deadly weapon or something silly in case I head but someone with it on. Wonder if I could just wear it instead? :)

Flight

Visit site
Sorry was typing that at same time you all replied. Thanks for replies, I will wear it if I have to along with my riding boots because they are the heaviest things I am taking! Wonder how many funny looks I will get walking through airport looking ready to get on a horse!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Ibg - thats fine if its the same airline company as H - however Hand Luggage requirements to vary from company to company.

Theres nothing to stop you wearing a hat though. You would look a bit silly, but so do people arriving in England in shorts in January! Half our Texas flights have one or two stetson wearers on.

If you're worried, get a drawstring bag - shoe type bag and carry that as your hand luggage with the hat in. If you're really worried ring the airline and check with them.

Ps. I'd be delighted if someone came on with a riding hat - I'd be over for a chat at some point!

Last edited:

Celestica

Visit site
If it's Ryanair then wear it boarding! And if they treat you in anyway like they did to me when returning from London in January just tell them where to go and that it's for health and safety reasons!

cronkmooar

Visit site
when I have taken mine, which is on quite a few occassions I have always carried it separately to my hand baggage in my hand.

I have never had and trouble or been stopped for it not being in my bag - though my plan always was to stick it on my head if I was given any grief

Wobblywibble

Visit site
Yes you can, it will fit in easily to hand luggage. Have taken mine on Ryanair and Easyjet in my hand luggage.

Made the mistake of putting it in my hold baggage on the way home, along with my chaps and joddie boots and EJ managed to lose it!!! The only time EVER that I have had a bag go missing and I never got it back either.