Riding hat not fitted right..?

chestnutmare_

New User
Visit site
The other day I bought a new riding hat, I'd had my other for 4 years. (several bad falls to the head and thankfully never even got a concussion, so went for the same model) When I arrived and asked if i could try different models on he said he would have to get them out so what one did I want, which I found careless/annoying.

He asked what size I'd had, which was a 2 (56-57), then came out with a 2 1/2 (57-58) saying he had no 2's in stock.. BUT it felt like a good fit; good suction and didn't fall of when i put my head down. I also tried a 3 but it was far too big.

But, now I have tried it on again at home, it looks mushroomy, there is just over one fingers gap between, plus when 'wobbled' the hat itself moves not my brows.
I got my other hat at 13 so ok my head may of grown/padding worn thin (it felt loose, so assumed needed same size); but I'm thinking this is going to be massive after the padding thins a bit?!

Its in bubble wrap, tags attached and hasn't even left the house. Do I go back in and have the other fitter (only weekdays) give second opinion and see if she will swap it for a better fit size/model? or will they not allow this?

Don't want to ride in it until I know I am safe:(

Sorry for long post, tried to give the whole picture.

Last edited:

flintmeg

Visit site
Really rusty with hat fitting....
Firstly they should of measured your head first even if you know what size you have been wearing (that's what we always used to do).
Got the fit you should check you have contact all around you head with out any pressure points. When hat is on you head if you press the back of it you should be able to put a cm of your finger in the gap and when you release you should be able to get your finger out lol.
Check you have suction when taking it off, which you have said about.

The best bet is if your not sure get the second opinion, it's your safety. Where I used to work years ago if there was another member of staff around we would always get them to check the fit even though everyone was trained and competent. Customers would always be welcome to come back if they had any issues. We would be more than happy to check the fit after a few weeks.

It's hard to exchange safety equipment even if tags are on, purely for the fact something could of happened. But just speak to the company.

Hope that helps a little :).

holeymoley

Visit site
As flint meg has said.

Likewise not fitted a hat for a few years, but your head should've been measured. I'd be inclined to take it back as I doubt you'd be needing a size up from what you're used to especially if its the same model of hat. Some makes do vary from fit though ie your classic velvet hats in comparison to the sporty type ones. As you say, the padding does wear down quite quickly as well. You want to get one finger in at either side of above your temples and for it to be relatively snug. Also if you move the peak up and down the hat itself shouldn't move.