Riding hat Saga

peanutsmumma

Visit site
So.....I have a Charles Owen Ayr 8 (56) and a CO skull cap (56)I really want a lightweight black Matt helmet for our longer rides and especially in the summer.

I love the look of the Gatehouse Conquest MK11, I tried my friends gatehouse on (different model) and her 55 and it was too big so I ordered the conquest in a 54.....was way too small.

I went to a tack shop on friend and tried on a Karben....none fit me as I'm between sizes.

The hat fitter talked me in to getting a Uvex Exxential.
I noticed the following day that one of the vent guards was lifted at the corner, I took it back and they exchanged it for another one.

I rode in in this morning and it was just awful. I ended up with a banging headache, a pressure point on the top, front of my head and was constantly having to re-tighten the dial!

So I took it back today and got a refund.

So my question is......can anyone recommend a lightweight helmet, without an adjustable dial, that fits similar to a Charles Owen ???

Skib

sites.google.com
I wear my proper heavy duty HSI skull regardless of the weather. I have ridden in it mid day in a Texan summer. Yes one sweats under it but it isnt the end of the world. Cowboys always ride in hats and long sleeves.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Cowboys always ride in hats

PAS 15? I've never seen a cowboy even with a hard hat on, never mind one that would protect their head if they fell off.

I usually wear mountain bike helmets in summer but it's got extremely difficult to find one in a bright colour for road safety with decent temple coverage and depth at the back.

Last edited:

Skib

sites.google.com
PAS 15? I've never seen a cowboy even with a hard hat on, never mind one that would protect their head of they fell off.
Nor have I except in some rodeo setting.
But in the Context of this thread? This was about the difficulty of wearing head covering - an unvented hat in hot weather. Cowboys ride in hats and long sleeves.

teapot

Visit site
Have you looked at the Charles Owen Halo? If CO hats fit you, stick with them.

The Pro II Plus is quite light too.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Nor have I except in some rodeo setting.
But in the Context of this thread? This was about the difficulty of wearing head covering - an unvented hat in hot weather. Cowboys ride in hats and long sleeves.

A floppy soft hat does not compare with riding with an inch of close fitting polystyrene foam on your head!

black and brown

Visit site
Just out of interest do you have another tack shop nearby you could visit or maybe drive a longer distance to a different one? I would be concerned that you were talked into buying a hat which did not fit. Also, it's quite unusual for a hat to be refunded by a shop, particularly one which has been ridden in, which may suggest they knew it never fitted in the first place.

Maybe if you say where you are located people can recommend shops to try?

peanutsmumma

Visit site
Just out of interest do you have another tack shop nearby you could visit or maybe drive a longer distance to a different one? I would be concerned that you were talked into buying a hat which did not fit. Also, it's quite unusual for a hat to be refunded by a shop, particularly one which has been ridden in, which may suggest they knew it never fitted in the first place.

Maybe if you say where you are located people can recommend shops to try?

We dont have many tack shops close to where I live. I'm in Dorset.

The lady that fitted me on Friday wasn't there today but when I took the hat back in, I still had a mark on my head 1hr 30mins after I finished riding ?