Riding hats

scribble

Visit site
I am looking for a new riding hat as I currently have an 8-9 yr old ayre8 which is not nice inside as I get sweaty head. So it must be bd compliant, I don’t jump, must be ventilated and would like washable liners if poss but I don’t know if you can put them in all hats. I tried on a Uvex today one was £99 was ok but didn’t look that nice if competing bd. I tried on a more bling Uvex lovely but price was £395 😯which is def out. Gatehouse was not as deep sitting on my head and I liked the Uvex varying fit dial thing. Samsheild seemed lovely but expensive and the new ayre8 plus didn’t feel as nice as Uvex.
Any more suggestions please.

Fiona

Visit site
I tried a 4 star today and it didn't fit. I was gutted. A pro II did however I ended up buying a gatehouse rxc1. It has a removable washable liner but will be too bulky I imagine for bd.

What about a gatehouse Chelsea?

I think the uvex look nice though.

Fiona

Violet

Visit site
I bought an EQ3 (Back on Track) recently, for about £100 abroad. Although not yet allowed in British competitions it's a MIPS (Multi Impact Protection System) with removable liners. There is also a winter liner for it. Ventilated and very comfortable to wear. I now use it for daily riding as I rather have what I believe a safer helmet on my head than wait for the British Standards approval.
They are already available for cyclists and motorcyclists.

Shay

Visit site
Although MIPS itself isn't yet approved the hat should carry at least PAS015? MIPS is said to dissipate rotational force on a fall by acting in a similar way to the skin on the scalp. But helmets for horse riding must also be able to cope with a kick or with the weight of the horse landing on it. Motorcycle and bicycle helmets are not tested to withstand this. A helmet without the worldwide testing standards for crush and penetration will not be safer - MIPS or not

mandyroberts

Visit site
I have just bought the Gatehouse Chelsea Pro. The Gatehouse models all fit slightly differently so if you only tried one model its worth trying others. Its well ventilated and has removeable lining. They do a 'suedette' version and even that fitted differently

Violet

Visit site
Although MIPS itself isn't yet approved the hat should carry at least PAS015?

These helmets have been approved to the European Standard VG1 (VG1 01.040 2014-12).
No importer has yet sent them for BSI Kitemarking. It's just a matter of time until that will get sorted and they will be available on the British market. I just didn't want to wait any longer. I am not planning to use it at competition level but prefer to use it in my daily riding.

Armis are selling a MIPS Polo helmet with a BSI Kitemark. The only one in this country so far.
https://armispolo.com/

ponios

Visit site
Agree to earlier comment that the gatehouse hats fit differently. I had the Chelsea and loved it but needed a jockey scull for jumping thought I would be fine in the HS1 but didn't fit and nor did their other scull (cant remember the name). I then tried on all jockey sculls I could find at Badminton (that were affordable - upto £250) and non of those fit either. A few months down the line I stumbled on gatehouse air rider mkII and was very pleased. The peak is designed to break off in case of fall, it is attached with three stud like things. The peak comes on and off easily so wear it with a silk for jumping and then pop the peak back on for dressage as I prefer the look.

It has a dial at the back and fits perfectly. Also has washable liners. I managed to buy mine for £85 about a month ago. Its is the best hat I have had to date and I think it is very reasonably priced

Floxie

Visit site
Agree to earlier comment that the gatehouse hats fit differently. I had the Chelsea and loved it but needed a jockey scull for jumping thought I would be fine in the HS1 but didn't fit

Oh no! I have the HS1 and it fits very nicely. I've been saving up for the Chelsea for day to day riding because I thought it was a safe bet, since the HS1 fits :( Back to the drawing board?

ponios

Visit site
Oh no! I have the HS1 and it fits very nicely. I've been saving up for the Chelsea for day to day riding because I thought it was a safe bet, since the HS1 fits :( Back to the drawing board?

Give the air rider a go. With the dial I recon it would fit most heads. A few people have tried mine on and all fitted.

Floxie

Visit site
Hmm maybe - comes up a bit cheaper, too. Was in love with the look of the matt brown Chelsea though :( I may take some time to grieve haha!