Riding holiday for Daddy and 9 year old Daughter!

TheScotsman

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone, my lovely little girl and I both ride and own our own horse/ pony. I have her half the time and pretty keen for us to have a riding holiday this summer- although not quite as keen as she is! Looking for some recommendations, here and abroad that may suit us. She can W,T and C on both reins and is popping a small course of jumps now. It's obviously a bit trickier to get it right with her age and the fact I'm on my own. Be lovely to hear opinions and views etc. Kind regards Stuart

PorkChop

Visit site
Are you intending on taking your own horse/ponies with you?

Your best bet would be an Equestrian Centre based holiday. They will have all the facilities, and instructors if you want them - think Gleneagles - the whole package down to accommodation and food. Have fun.

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
Whereabouts are you from? And are you looking to take your horses or not?

We took our horses down to the beach at wells near Hunstanton last year which was lovely, lots of non-beach hacks to do as well as a lovely beach to ride on. We stayed at holme farm which had lovely DIY livery stables for the weekend and a great b&b.

My sister has also just got back from a riding holiday in Wales that she said was incredible, she went with her uni and there were various different abilities but that was with the centres horses.

TheScotsman

New User
Visit site
We're based in the South of Scotland, and not ruled out taking the horses with an overnight break somewhere! Thanks for the advice re Gleneagles and Mull, but probably keen to go south. Somewhere with a bit of a 'round the campfire' thing going on would be great- but you can't always have it all! Also found French Riding Holidays online which gets a good write up if anyone knows about them? S

cronkmooar

Visit site
Are you intending on taking your own horse/ponies with you?

Your best bet would be an Equestrian Centre based holiday. They will have all the facilities, and instructors if you want them - think Gleneagles - the whole package down to accommodation and food. Have fun.

I'm off to Gleneagles in July can't wait

Last year we went to Castle Leslie which was absolutely fabulous, something you both would enjoy

Also no problem being on your own, everyone really friendly and all the riders have a few drinks afterwards, you would have adult company for a couple of beers if you wanted.

Huge grounds, definitely safe for kids to wander and have fun

They do lovely twin rooms with a huge balcony overlooking the stables which are worth the small extra amount.

We would have gone back there only the weekends for the months we needed were booked up.

If you can go mid week, that is certainly a place I would recommend - hope Gleneagles is as good

Have a great time, what a lovely dad you sound

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
We went to chateau laumiere (in Lot region, France) a few years ago and would definitely recommend. The people are friendly and homely and there were other people staying so it wouldn't just be the two of you (if that matters?). They also can do lessons but my novice husband enjoyed the morning hacks every day. They have a variety of ponies and put him on a lovely one who looked after him at all paces, I got something a little faster. The lady is called Tanya and is BHSHI and very safety conscious but still fun. Let me know if you need any more info.

TheScotsman

New User
Visit site
Castle Leslie looks just great, but is completely booked out when I'm looking. Excuse me if this is silly, but you are talking about Gleneagles, Scotland as there is another Equestrian Centre down south with the same name? Are you taking your own horses there? It's certainly worth a thought, only 90 minutes from me!